Gray Plant Mooty

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
4.0

David Bahls

Outstanding people and well run firm.

Current Employee - Lawyer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Lawyer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Gray Plant Mooty full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is a strong sense of collegiality and people genuinely like each other. Health Care, Franchise, Estate Planning, and Employee Benefits are particularly strong practice areas.

Cons

Sometimes the firm is too slow to seize opportunities. While the firm is generally transparent, some decisions are made in a black box.

Stay the course--firm profitability is on a strong upward trajectory and the firm's dedication to maintaining its strong culture should remain a top priority.

Great people, great place to work

I have been working at Gray Plant Mooty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Respectful work environment, talented attorneys, room to grow

Cons

Some practice groups can be more challenging than others.

They talk the talk but don't walk it

I worked at Gray Plant Mooty full-time

Pros

Great training opportunities! Lots of nice people who have been with the firm for a very long time. Beautiful facilities.

Cons

The firm likes to think it has a great work/life balance but it's more for show than reality. Attorneys are treated very differently from staff even though they like to think that is not true. HR department is very "clicky" - if they like you (regardless of how well you do your job) you will be reviewed and compensated well, but if you are not in the "in" group with them, watch out! HR seeks input from attorneys and "twists" their words to make the review look the way they want it to - in other words, any small negative may have much greater emphasis in the review than it was intended to be.

Put more emphasis on how you treat the staff. It's not all about the attorneys.

Great pay and benefits, stiff group of people.

Current Employee - Attorney, 1st-Year in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Attorney, 1st-Year in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Gray Plant Mooty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice and supportive superiors that are willing to help young attorneys learn. Great resources, great pay - even at satellite offices.

Cons

If you don't work in the Minneapolis office, be expected to be regarded as the red headed step child of the firm. Don't expect to be treated like you exist during video conferences unless you speak up frequently.

Do a better job of describing your expectations to new attorneys.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Gray Plant Mooty

Pros

The firm focuses on diversity and a good work/life balance. While I know others around me were unhappy with the management, I never had a problem with communication, workload, and being treated well. I felt like I was recognized for my hard work and when I expressed an interest in going to law school, many of the attorneys I supported and worked with were very helpful in giving me projects that an LAA wouldn't normally do so I could get some hands on experience (research, light drafting). The people that I encountered in my two years at the firm were all intelligent, respectful, and very hard-working people. Any firings or layoffs that occurred during my short tenure were justified.

Cons

Many of the LAAs have been with the firm for upwards of 10 and 20 years. While most are very nice and welcoming, some were catty, and insantly suspicious of newcomers. Some LAAs also refused to change their practices to conform with the changes in technology, making things difficult and complicated.

Continue to reward those who go above and beyond and do their jobs well.

My experience at GPM has been beneficial in terms of learning new skills and continued knowledge of the law.

Current Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Legal Administrative Assistant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Gray Plant Mooty

Pros

In general, the employees there are nice and helpful. The firm has up-to-date technology that includes copiers, scanners, and software. The firm stresses the importance in keeping up your skills through various computers classes provided.

Cons

The firm has become less flexible in the work hours for its staff. This was due to the layoffs of some of the legal assistants while the remaining legal assistants had to absorb their attorneys. The annual reviews are somewhat unfair. Supervisors tend to "twist" the words from the attorneys in order to find fault, therefore, less percentage in raises.

Management needs to make attorneys accountable in their lack of time management. It seems like management is 'suggesting' that the attorneys meet various deadlines, but there is no disciplinary action if the attorney fails to do so.