Gray Plant Mooty

Gray Plant Mooty Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Bahls

Great people, great place to work

I have been working at Gray Plant Mooty full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRespectful work environment, talented attorneys, room to grow

ConsSome practice groups can be more challenging than others.

They talk the talk but don't walk it

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Gray Plant Mooty full-time

ProsGreat training opportunities! Lots of nice people who have been with the firm for a very long time. Beautiful facilities.

ConsThe firm likes to think it has a great work/life balance but it's more for show than reality. Attorneys are treated very differently from staff even though they like to think that is not true. HR department is very "clicky" - if they like you (regardless of how well you do your job) you will be reviewed and compensated well, but if you are not in the "in" group with them, watch out! HR seeks input from attorneys and "twists" their words to make the review look the way they want it to - in other words, any small negative may have much greater emphasis in the review than it was intended to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more emphasis on how you treat the staff. It's not all about the attorneys.

Great pay and benefits, stiff group of people.

Attorney, 1st-Year (Current Employee)
Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Gray Plant Mooty full-time for less than a year

ProsNice and supportive superiors that are willing to help young attorneys learn. Great resources, great pay - even at satellite offices.

ConsIf you don't work in the Minneapolis office, be expected to be regarded as the red headed step child of the firm. Don't expect to be treated like you exist during video conferences unless you speak up frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of describing your expectations to new attorneys.

Great place to work

Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Gray Plant Mooty

ProsThe firm focuses on diversity and a good work/life balance. While I know others around me were unhappy with the management, I never had a problem with communication, workload, and being treated well. I felt like I was recognized for my hard work and when I expressed an interest in going to law school, many of the attorneys I supported and worked with were very helpful in giving me projects that an LAA wouldn't normally do so I could get some hands on experience (research, light drafting). The people that I encountered in my two years at the firm were all intelligent, respectful, and very hard-working people. Any firings or layoffs that occurred during my short tenure were justified.

ConsMany of the LAAs have been with the firm for upwards of 10 and 20 years. While most are very nice and welcoming, some were catty, and insantly suspicious of newcomers. Some LAAs also refused to change their practices to conform with the changes in technology, making things difficult and complicated.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to reward those who go above and beyond and do their jobs well.

My experience at GPM has been beneficial in terms of learning new skills and continued knowledge of the law.

Legal Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Gray Plant Mooty

ProsIn general, the employees there are nice and helpful. The firm has up-to-date technology that includes copiers, scanners, and software. The firm stresses the importance in keeping up your skills through various computers classes provided.

ConsThe firm has become less flexible in the work hours for its staff. This was due to the layoffs of some of the legal assistants while the remaining legal assistants had to absorb their attorneys. The annual reviews are somewhat unfair. Supervisors tend to "twist" the words from the attorneys in order to find fault, therefore, less percentage in raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to make attorneys accountable in their lack of time management. It seems like management is 'suggesting' that the attorneys meet various deadlines, but there is no disciplinary action if the attorney fails to do so.

Worked for Gray Plant Mooty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gray Plant Mooty reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gray Plant Mooty CEO David Bahls. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Gray Plant Mooty employees.