Gray Television

Gray Television Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gray Television Vice Chairman, CEO and Director Hilton H. Howell, Jr.

Hilton H. Howell, Jr.

Good Experience

Meteorologist (Current Employee)
Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at Gray Television full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEasy going work environment and friendly

Conslow pay scale and not much opportunity to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time

Current CEO recently told front line employees that they're valuable to the company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Gray Television full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIf this is true, it's about time.

ConsOld habits die hard. Bureaucracies sprang up under the previous CEO. Many higher paid (and more experienced) employees were sacrificed in search of short term profit margin goals. Some problems go unsolved due to having employees with no experience in fixing them. Many valuable workers wound up at competitors, taking advantage of poorly-addressed weaknesses.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your promises to the employees you didn't run off. There's not much you can do for the valuable ones you threw under the bus.

Great first job in the field

Production Assistant (Former Employee)
Panama City, FL

I worked at Gray Television part-time for less than a year

ProsExperience. They gave me a chance when no one else would.

ConsPay. I asked if I could be trained for weekend director, and they informed me that I'd have to learn other jobs that will be phased out first. They are going HD some time this year, and will be reducing the staff. My position was only part times you can not exceed 29 hours a week. But, being there at 4AM, you're too tired to do anything else. If you can live with your parents, or get support elsewhere, it may be worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was great! They are always doing things for employees. It's not their fault that behind the scenes people don't matter enough to get paid more money and treated differently.

Good experience for a first job. Company likes to pinch pennies.

Reporter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gray Television full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany is making investments in new equipment, new sets and there is a bonus at the end of the year most times.

ConsCompany is very penny pinchy when it comes to overtime and certain expenses. They really forbid overtime. Rollouts of new things always get delayed. Employee salaries very low. No vacation for first year.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake some investments in your employees when it comes to vacation time in the first year, easing up on OT, and making sure stations have working stuff.

Management Will Make You Feel Crazy For Caring

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Gray Television full-time

ProsPay well over other stations in the TV market I worked in, Good opportunity for advancement if you don't point out ways the company can do better.

ConsApplicants Mislead - If you are promised something in the interview stage at Gray, get it in writing. Many were promised titles or future promotions that never came. Management also downplays work involved, leading to disgruntled new employees. They don’t ask the tough questions of potential employees to see if they’re right for the job. Instead they go into recruit mode. This leads to under-qualified employees making more work for existing employees and massive turnover.

Favoritism - The employee handbook doesn't apply to everyone. While some are scolded for seemingly minor issues, others get a figurative pat on the back for the same issue. This also happens when vacation time is granted. If complaints arise between employees, management will only listen to the favored party before doling out a unfavorable review to the other. Those who have grounds for firing are given months to improve. Then supervisors are tasked with documenting and making it clear to the employee that they’re falling short. Supervisors don’t get that same courtesy. Instead, management will demote, criticize and pile on the work until you quit. Then they’ll pretend like they’re shocked you’re leaving. Some salaried employees put in less than 40 hours a week, while other neared 70.

No Accountability - The quality of journalism and video journalism went down dramatically during my time with Gray. Management will not fact check or reprimand employees when they don’t. There’s also no punishment for breaking equipment or doing sub-par work. Supervisors may be scolded for it later, but aren't given the authority to punish or fire bad employees. Management is not accountable for anything. Planning is mostly nonexistent. Major projects then either fall short or viewers and sources are offended during the scramble to make it right, leaving reporters to do damage control.

HR Nonexistent - For months I couldn't find an employee who knew who our Human Resources representative was. It’s impossible to find a Gray HR supervisor. Management will only give you a nonspecific HR email.

Management Fails, Appoints Supervisor to Take Blame - So many long-term employees turned supervisors with an eye for quality were pushed out because they held the station to a higher standard than management. The newsroom had more supervisors than I’d ever seen at a business. This lead to confusion among reporters/producers. (Who I am supposed to report to? Supervisor 1 told me this, but Supervisor 2 told me this.) Supervisors are told they are doing a great job, but then given bad reviews, if they get reviews at all. Reviews you’re supposed to get bi-annually only happen when it’s decided you’re doing something wrong. Don’t try to go above your bosses’ head if you’re treated unfairly either. Gray management hires their friends and people they mentor, so your complaints will fall on deaf ears and probably put you in an even worse situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some of the blame instead of projecting it onto your employees. Hold all employees accountable in the same manner. Tell the truth. A major culture shift is needed to keep any employees long term.

An interesting job that will not lead to any promotions whatsoever.

Technical Media Producer (Current Employee)
Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Gray Television full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you have an interest in the way that TV station works, its a great job.

ConsYou will not make very much money or have great benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the TMPs more. They do a lot of work.

The company operates like George Orwell's 1984

Video Journalist (Former Employee)

I worked at Gray Television full-time

ProsIf you're a lemming and want to do things mindlessly and just follow "Big Brother," work here and you can work for this company the rest of your life.

Pay is slightly higher than some other companies, but the benefits are either non-existent or terrible.

ConsHave you read 1984?

If you are an independent thinker with ideas, they'll just put you down. The company has very much their own line of thought and if you stray from it, you're targeted for either the worst assignments or termination as soon as they can find some excuse of a reason. While I worked there I saw so many terminations due to this rather than anything related to the employee's work product.

Management is terrible and exhibits rampant favoritism. Some of the worst employees get promotions because they're the lemmings who say "yes" to whatever management asks, which ends up meaning the news product provided to the public isn't the best it could be. Management also sugarcoats everything and lies about a position's responsibilities during interviews and then wonders why people are dissatisfied once they start. The company also overreaches on projects without planning thoroughly, which leads to unnecessary failures and unsatisfied employees.

Work/life balance sucks. Part of it is a day-to-day newsroom management issue. Some people get to be slackers while others are worked until they drop. You only get 2 sick days a year and no vacation days at all your first year....unless of course, you're one of the favored employees who can just take off whatever.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously examine yourselves and how you run the business. The most successful places are meritocracies.

Horribly underpaid

Weekend Sports Anchor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gray Television full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood work environment, always busy and have a lot of control over your own stories.

ConsSalary is bordering on laughable.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees... we understand the concept of "supply and demand" in regards to the television industry but it gets sickening to work 40+ hours a week while making less than what you could at the local McDonalds.

Not bad.

MCO (Current Employee)
Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Gray Television full-time for more than a year

Prossmall market stations allow entry level employees to gain experience.

ConsSalaries are terrible with no raises.

Advice to Senior Managementpay more attention to training younger employees.

A lot of responsibility; not a lot of compensation

Master Control Operator (Former Employee)
Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Gray Television

ProsRoom to gain experience for larger markets
A foot in the door for local television
Some benefits (health, dental)
Possible overtime

ConsVERY low compensation - think fast food wages
Tons of responsibility
Repetitive tasks
Middle-management for the MCOs was overbearing and exhibited rampant favoritism
Little opportunity for advancement within the same market

Despite all of this, many of my co-workers really wanted to be there. All of these people had four-year degrees in film and/or television and were chomping at the bit to work for $8.65/hr. I guess everyone had grandiose plans to transfer to larger markets and eventually work for Turner or Fox, but it was certainly a soul-killing environment and not for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to recruit people who are interested in doing their jobs well and share in the mission of the company, you need to pay more.

Worked for Gray Television? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gray Television reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gray Television CEO Hilton H. Howell, Jr. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Gray Television employees.