Gray Television

Gray Television Reviews

Updated Jun 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gray Television Vice Chairman, CEO and Director Hilton H. Howell, Jr.

Hilton H. Howell, Jr.

Hard work, good experience

Reporter (Former Employee)

ProsI was a reporter at one of Gray's entry-level, small stations. Once you get benefits after the first 90 days they are amazing. The management at my station was very smart and supportive. Good company culture.

ConsLow pay. Long hours. Working holidays. One-man-banding all my stories. But that's media nowadays.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop updating the editing systems every year and hire some photogs.

Old technology, supportive News Director and Asst News Director

Production Assistant (Former Employee) South Bend, IN

ProsGood leadership in the newsroom, ND and Asst. ND were very involved and supportive of the staff.

ConsNotre Dame is all that mattered. Seemed like PR arm of university. Dated equipment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more money into the technology, competitor was tapeless and high definition in the field while we were up converting off of tape using technology from the 90's. Please invest more money in your on-air product and equipment in the field. Felt hindered by the old, outdated cameras, editing system and workflow.

Needs updating

ProsGood People, room for movement

ConsAwful pay, selfish upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't throw $250,000+ one night parties and invite only on air talent in the market and chalk it up to "saving money." Oops.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay away!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tallahassee, FL

ProsNot much at all, bad place.

ConsPoor pay, no room for advancement, poor communication, poor management at local level.

Good Experience

Meteorologist (Current Employee) Eau Claire, WI

ProsEasy going work environment and friendly

Conslow pay scale and not much opportunity to move up

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time

Current CEO recently told front line employees that they're valuable to the company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf this is true, it's about time.

ConsOld habits die hard. Bureaucracies sprang up under the previous CEO. Many higher paid (and more experienced) employees were sacrificed in search of short term profit margin goals. Some problems go unsolved due to having employees with no experience in fixing them. Many valuable workers wound up at competitors, taking advantage of poorly-addressed weaknesses.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your promises to the employees you didn't run off. There's not much you can do for the valuable ones you threw under the bus.

Great first job in the field

Production Assistant (Former Employee) Panama City, FL

ProsExperience. They gave me a chance when no one else would.

ConsPay. I asked if I could be trained for weekend director, and they informed me that I'd have to learn other jobs that will be phased out first. They are going HD some time this year, and will be reducing the staff. My position was only part times you can not exceed 29 hours a week. But, being there at 4AM, you're too tired to do anything else. If you can live with your parents, or get support elsewhere, it may be worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was great! They are always doing things for employees. It's not their fault that behind the scenes people don't matter enough to get paid more money and treated differently.

Good experience for a first job. Company likes to pinch pennies.

Reporter (Current Employee)

ProsCompany is making investments in new equipment, new sets and there is a bonus at the end of the year most times.

ConsCompany is very penny pinchy when it comes to overtime and certain expenses. They really forbid overtime. Rollouts of new things always get delayed. Employee salaries very low. No vacation for first year.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake some investments in your employees when it comes to vacation time in the first year, easing up on OT, and making sure stations have working stuff.

Management Will Make You Feel Crazy For Caring

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay well over other stations in the TV market I worked in, Good opportunity for advancement if you don't point out ways the company can do better.

ConsApplicants Mislead - If you are promised something in the interview stage at Gray, get it in writing. Many were promised titles or future promotions that never came. Management also downplays work involved, leading to disgruntled new employees. They don’t ask the tough questions of potential employees to see if they’re right for the job. Instead they go into recruit mode. This leads to under-qualified employees making more work for existing employees and massive turnover.

Favoritism - The employee handbook doesn't apply to everyone. While some are scolded for seemingly minor issues, others get a figurative pat on the back for the same issue. This also happens when vacation time is granted. If complaints arise between employees, management will only listen to the favored party before doling out a unfavorable review to the other. Those who have grounds for firing are given months to improve. Then supervisors are tasked with documenting and making it clear to the employee that they’re falling short. Supervisors don’t get that same courtesy. Instead, management will demote, criticize and pile on the work until you quit. Then they’ll pretend like they’re shocked you’re leaving. Some salaried employees put in less than 40 hours a week, while other neared 70.

No Accountability - The quality of journalism and video journalism went down dramatically during my time with Gray. Management will not fact check or reprimand employees when they don’t. There’s also no punishment for breaking equipment or doing sub-par work. Supervisors may be scolded for it later, but aren't given the authority to punish or fire bad employees. Management is not accountable for anything. Planning is mostly nonexistent. Major projects then either fall short or viewers and sources are offended during the scramble to make it right, leaving reporters to do damage control.

HR Nonexistent - For months I couldn't find an employee who knew who our Human Resources representative was. It’s impossible to find a Gray HR supervisor. Management will only give you a nonspecific HR email.

Management Fails, Appoints Supervisor to Take Blame - So many long-term employees turned supervisors with an eye for quality were pushed out because they held the station to a higher standard than management. The newsroom had more supervisors than I’d ever seen at a business. This lead to confusion among reporters/producers. (Who I am supposed to report to? Supervisor 1 told me this, but Supervisor 2 told me this.) Supervisors are told they are doing a great job, but then given bad reviews, if they get reviews at all. Reviews you’re supposed to get bi-annually only happen when it’s decided you’re doing something wrong. Don’t try to go above your bosses’ head if you’re treated unfairly either. Gray management hires their friends and people they mentor, so your complaints will fall on deaf ears and probably put you in an even worse situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some of the blame instead of projecting it onto your employees. Hold all employees accountable in the same manner. Tell the truth. A major culture shift is needed to keep any employees long term.

An interesting job that will not lead to any promotions whatsoever.

Technical Media Producer (Current Employee) Harrisonburg, VA

ProsIf you have an interest in the way that TV station works, its a great job.

ConsYou will not make very much money or have great benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the TMPs more. They do a lot of work.

Worked for Gray Television? Contribute to the Community!