Graycor

Updated May 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Melvin Gray

Overall good company but little room for career growth

Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsSenior/upper management was great to work for and they promote a professional atmosphere.

ConsThere was never a clear cut career path there. Roles and responsibilities are not clearly stated or maintained and there are no established performance measurements.

Family based organization with great potential

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsRelatively young/impressive leadership, fairly nimble towards future business, has done a fairly good job retaining mid/top level talent

ConsTop heavy, Keeps failing in recruiting/retaining fresh talent. This may pose a challenge in 3-5 years when the next group of leaders can not be identified from within

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a better structure to recruit/retain/recognize upcoming talent

I'm a current operations staff employee.

Assistant Project Manager (Current Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsSmall family like environment, a lot of learning opportunities, and empowerment to make decisions. Employees have opportunities to travel across the nation.

ConsPromotions are based more on years of experience rather than abilities. Salaried employees are expected to work long hour with heavy work loads.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the abilities of your employees and place them in appropriate positions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Place for learning but not for making a living

Operations (Current Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsThere's still a few good people in the company

ConsUpper Management only care about making money but dont't remunerate their employees well enough

Advice to Senior ManagementCompanies are made of People, that's the most treasured asset, threat them well, pay them what they deserve and recognize their seniority int he Company. If you don't do that, there will be another employer who will.

Jan 28, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. The Graycor family of companies works to ensure that both the performance and years of service of our employees are recognized and rewarded. While we are not always ... More

Great reputation due to business unit staff. The Gray family doesn't value their ppl, especially their operations staff

Operations Staff (Former Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsGreat, dedicated and hard working ppl .... team environment amongst commercial and industrial business units. Operations is a free for all and "dog eat dog" environment.

ConsOperations business unit staff are not treated well, espeically their long-term employees who have the experience, knowledge and dedication. Older employees are being let go or forced out for younger replacements and new blood.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not do surveys and ask for employee feedback if you are not going to execute it. Your people make the company ... if you do not treat your people well, your company will not do well. I do not see a bright future for Graycor. The family could sell the company, which might be a good thing with Mel stepping down and handing control to the next generation (next generation could care less about employee morale or happiness - it is all about the money). Current employees (especially in operations) see how lazy / favored (kiss butts) employees are getting promoted while long-term employees who should be promoted are being fired or forced out.

Jan 28, 2014

Thank you for your comments. The Graycor family of companies reinforces a performance-based culture while recognizing the contributions of all employees but we realize that this is not the right ... More

Awful

Coordinator (Current Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL

ProsGraycor has 4 ten hour schedules May-September (Labor Day). Rest of the year is 5 day work week. Minimum of 50 hours per week.

ConsDon't let them ever ever know you applied to another position out of curiosity. No allegiance to their long time employees. Terminated 24 year tenure employee for no real reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementClass action due to letting too may older personnel go and hiring young as replacement.

Jan 28, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. The Graycor family of companies recognizes both the performance and years of service of our employees; we also believe in and promote a diverse workforce. The decision to ... More

Excellent Reputation - Horrible Execution

Construction Coordinator (Former Employee) Edwardsport, IN

ProsGraycor has a great system in place to promote young employees within. There is alot of incentives to live a "family lifestyle"

ConsThe promotion system is not utilized like one is promised. The salaried employees are often required to work long hours outside of standard business hours

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on allowing employees in the field to work on their tasks - minimize paperwork associated with the home office.

Challenging and interesting at the beginning

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Chattanooga, TN

ProsThey are involved in very interesting projects within the US, Canada and Mexico
    They had great per diem, around $700 per week. Not anymore that I know.

ConsSalaries were very low compared with other companies within the US in similar positions
    Very low opportunities to advance in my carreer

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to the needs of the employees, in particular in regards of internal promotion and provide adequate feedback.

PM Review of "Out of Town" position

Project Manager (Former Employee) Homewood, IL

ProsCompany reputation. Company size and backlog of future work. Diversity in company hiring strategy. Opportunities for advancement.. A feeling of being self empowered.

ConsCompany size - Large company with many employees. Individual accomplishments may not be recognized. Out of town management staff may feel disconnected from the company mainstream.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more frequent contact with off site management staff. Make general company information and current events more accessible to out of town management staff.

Challenging

Project Manager (Current Employee)

Prospeople are great and experienced

Conspay is not the best, better bonuses

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of the employees who bring in the work

Worked for Graycor? Contribute to the Community!