Great American Cookies

Updated September 22, 2014
Updated September 22, 2014
2.8

Chris Dull

if your a college kid, its a good place to work and get cookies on the cheap

Former Employee - Baker  in  Beaumont, TX
    Former Employee - Baker in Beaumont, TX

I worked at Great American Cookies part-time for less than a year

Pros

well a pro was that i could get free and discounted cookies. Baker is a semi hard job. it depends on if you work at a store that focuses on making cookie cakes. you have to make them quick and a large number of them.

Cons

holidays can be a lot of work. the pay really isn't much. they will let you go if your too slow at making cookie cakes.

the management is ok, it depends on the person.

Low paying, Great expiernece in the Baking Industry!

I have been working at Great American Cookies part-time

Pros

Quiet shifts
    Flexible schedule
    Understanding management
    Great for drawing skills
    Treat customers with respect

Cons

Risk of Carpltunal
    Picky Customers
    A lot of small tasks for one individual
    Could use more avdvertsing

It wasn't the greatest.

I worked at Great American Cookies full-time for less than a year

Pros

There weren't any pros for this job.

Cons

No benefits, didn't work around another schedule, i.e. school or another job...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was there for 3yrs..

I worked at Great American Cookies

Pros

This is an easy job to get hired on with Co. Worked there since 16 n at 18 worked here and another job. Since I had been there so long I got to basically make my hours up so hrs r flexible. The cookies were yummy and I loved decorating. Manager would hire your friends.

Cons

~Horrible Pay
    ~Holidays overworked you. Had me work from store open to close since was a Store Decorator and didnt want me to take lunch. Would complain if needed to use bathroom.
    ~Made me clock out to pee...no other Co I know does that!

Yall know you lost a good employee who been there long time because yall were stingy & I left to work at higher paying job. U made a million dollars at our store and we were #1. So all employees who been there a year should have got a bonus and not just store and assitant manager. Quit being so dam stingy.

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Great American Cookies full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is always something to do, unlike in retail or more fast-food type jobs. It's more like a bakery than fast food. You start off above minimum wage and they keep track of your sales numbers and hard work so that you have multiple times a year to get a raise. You can be promoted to shift leader in less than half a year if you show you're worth it. You get to eat ANYTHING for free as long as you're on the clock. 30% discount on everything when you're not off the clock is pretty significant too. I like working here because my coworkers are usually happy at work and are positive to be around. Cake decorating is the best part of the job aside from helping customers!

Cons

My only complaint would have to be that lifting the pop syrup boxes at the end of the night sucks. If there is someone stronger than you around, they won't make you do it. But that's something that you'd have to do at all other food industry jobs too.

Find employees who are a little bit more outgoing, because talking to customers is the main part of the job.

Do your research BEFORE you apply

Former Employee - Shift Lead  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Lead in Dallas, TX

I worked at Great American Cookies part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free cookies on holidays like Thanksgiving eve, Christmas eve, and Easter eve, because we are closed the following day. (Cookies are kept over night and sold the next day) -so that's why they were free on those occasions.

Cons

No room for growth, they treat you like dirt on the bottom of your shoe, no discounts, not "good job" ! - Basically the whole company is a CON.

To DM'S, make sure your SM's are well trained before you assign them their very own store. DM's, you can be a lot less judgmental and sneaky! I was in line for a raise, I had all of my paperwork ready. It was stolen, so I re-did it, then it was misplaced, then it was forgotten, and then finally after 1 1/2, I got my raise. They don't give you fair treatment. I was accused of stealing for months (got a write up), and when it was revealed that I was not me, I NEVER got an apology. I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone living in the Dallas area.. Other areas have a great time at work. After I told the OWNER(franchised), my employees felt unappreciated, they decided to start giving 50% off discounts. I had already put in my two weeks.

Managers Are Nice but Corporate policy is ridiculous

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Great American Cookies part-time for less than a year

Pros

- where I work, the managers are friendly and understanding about issues
    - they literally hire anyone- there is no interview process or anything (I consider that both a pro and con)
    - easy work
    - awesome coworkers

Cons

- the pay is terrible (minimum wage with NO HOPE of raise) for the amount of work you do
    - favoritism and bias on managers' parts- I always roll cookie dough and it hurts my hand SO MUCH
    - no benefits or anything
    - cookies WAY overpriced- always embarrassed when customers ask me why cookies are so expensive when all we did to them was scoop them out of a box and put them in a dirty oven

DONT THROW OUT COOKIES AND PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES BETTER

Amazing cookie store experience!

Former Employee - Shift Lead
    Former Employee - Shift Lead

I worked at Great American Cookies part-time

Pros

Smells delicious, learned how to decorate cookies/cakes, fun environment

Cons

Weekend hours (guaranteed with retail)

Horrible

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, SC

I worked at Great American Cookies part-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pro I can see is that I got along with my co-workers. Other than that, there's nothing

Cons

Pay sucks for how much work you do. Prices are way too high. Store was falling apart, like the paint on the counters were peeling and the registers always crashed. Management was very rude. There was never any praise for our hard work.

Raise the pay and listen to what the employees are thinking.

Job isn't what it appears to be..

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Great American Cookies part-time for less than a year

Pros

You don't work much but that could be a con as well if you're looking for lots of hours in a job.

Decent job to have while you're looking for another one. I promise you, after a week you'll want a 2nd job or a different one.

Cons

The pay sucks for the amount of work they have you do.

If you think you get free cookies or an employee discount think again. I don't know about anywhere else but here in Georgia they literally keep tabs on everything. Then whatever isn't sold at the end of the day gets thrown away and the managers don't let you take anything that's left because it's "against corporate policy" or some retarded excuse. Oh, and no one, absolutely no one gets discounts. Not even employees or managers, therefore what's the point of working here?

On a final note, the prices of the companies products are way too high. People ask how much a cookie costs and the facial expressions they all make are exactly the same. I know personally I wouldn't pay $2 for one cookie, or $5 for a double doozie (2 cookies with icing in the middle) or $5 for a cookie pizza slice.

Update prices to reflect the already expensive economy.

Start a donation program that feeds homeless or sheltered people with all the food that's left over at the end of the night instead of simply throwing it all away.

Show more appreciation for the minimum wage workers literally doing everything keeping the company going.

Worked for Great American Cookies? Contribute to the Community!