Great American Group

Updated May 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Harvey M Yellen

Great company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCulture, experience, compensation, travel, and good upper management

ConsWork-life balance is the area of most improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on work-life balance

Good Company to work for right out of college

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Needham, MA

Pros-Great people in the Needham, MA office
    -Not expected to work long hours, just get your work done
    -Get the opportunity to look at companies in all kinds of industries and see how they do their operations

Cons-Niche industry, focus is on inventory appraisals, so only inventory matters

Advice to Senior Management-Management is great, just need more perks in order to retain employees because most view it as a step towards the next job

One of the worst of the liquidation companies to work for

Sales Contractor (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThey sign some of the largest deals and probably will keep going longer than most in the business.

ConsThey have some of the worst contractors, managers especially. They encourage extremely questionable business practices and sales techniques and extreme aggressiveness to the point of shocking.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere to even begin....this section is pointless because no one there listens to advice, especially managers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run of the Mill Finance Company

ProsSeveral coworkers are friendly and approachable.

ConsStingy with health benefits and falsely cheery, "down to earth" culture. Drone work.

I learned a lot, but it was time to move on.

ProsFlexible work environment. Fast paced

ConsNot enough pay for the work involved.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease your employee salaries or you will lose everyoe

A small operation.

Software (Former Employee)
    Woodland Hills, CA

ProsThis is a small company in a niche market. The office is a quiet environment.
    Some people are pretty nice.

ConsThe company is almost like a "family" mom-and-pop business. If you haven't been there for a while or don't have connections, don't think you gonna make any difference anytime soon.

This is not an environment for serious IT professionals. Their IT group (software) lacks knowledge and experience. The company should obtain better resources.

This is a small company and is cost conscious operation.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse real professional management for HR and IT. This is important.

Great place to work!

Project Writer (Former Employee)
    Needham, MA

ProsGA is dedicated to their employees and committed to creating a positive work environment. I worked in the Needham office (Massachusetts) for 2 years and had an excellent experience there. My coworkers were great, and management was honest, open, and receptive to feedback. An excellent work environment!

ConsOccasional long hours, but this was rare and management actively tried to avoid employees working long hours when possible.

Great American is excellent at what they do, namely, appraisals and liquidations, but it can come at a price

Woodland Hills, CA

ProsGreat American Group:

-Hires employees who are hard-working, highly intelligent, creative, and driven, and you can, and most likely will, learn a lot from them;

-Provides opportunities for outside activities including volunteering and company parties.

Cons-At times a hard rigidness amongst some of the personnel, with management more focused on the quality of the project and less focused on the quality of life for the employees, particularly in regards to managing projects while ensuring work hours are at acceptable levels (e.g., 8-9 hours at maximum, even during the busiest time periods).

Advice to Senior Management-Being periodically in the trenches with employees, and extending more opportunities for learning new skills and tasks.

-Hire more personnel during the busier months who can help out with easier, more entry level tasks on projects. There was a key period when hours that no human being should have to work (between 80 to 90 per week, on average, over nearly a four-month period) were taking place in order to handle the project load that sales personnel were putting on the books. And upper management seemed nowhere to be found. This is karma that no business entity, or it's leadership, can withstand for long.

Really depends on your team

ProsI really enjoy working with my team, they are all fun people and really down to earth and not mean at all. But I understand that is conditional. Still I think the people around me were really nice people too. Now I can't say anything about offices outside of Woodland Hills.

Conspay is a little on the low side

Work hard and you will be rewarded

(Current Employee)

ProsThe company recruits high achieving staff and offers competitive compensation. Compensation is tied to the success of the company with clearly defined revenue goals. Revenue grows each year and the staff is continually growing which are positive signs for the company.
    Associates have ample promotional opportunity, and hard work and great skills are rewarded. I have received 6 or 7 promotions in my 10+ years. There are many long time employees who stay because the company is loyal to those who are high performers. Most of those who stay achieve multiple promotions and make significant contributions.
    The culture is one where you work hard and play hard. Commraderie and friendship is highly evident through things like the company softball team and company sponsored social outings to ball games, restaurants, etc.
    The company recognizes good work through several avenues including an annual awards show, monthly awards, and additional ad hoc recogniton. All of these include additonal cash prizes or awards such tickets to a game or a team lunch.
    Communication at the company is well organized, including regular state of the union meetings to inform the staff of major initiatives, and weekly team meetings to cover more detailed workflow issues.
    The training program is well organized and designed to get brand new associates into the game quickly and into position for rapid promotion.
    New associates are immediately exposed to many different businesses, and regularly interact with executives and important decision makers at subject companies, financial institutions, and within Great American.

ConsYou have to work hard which at times means putting in hours to meet client needs. You must carry your own weight, as low achievers will not be rewarded the same as those that are very good at their work. This is not the job for you if you want to just punch a clock and be annonymous.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep building for the future

Worked for Great American Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Great American Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Great American Group CEO Harvey M Yellen. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Great American Group employees.