Great American Opportunities Reviews

Reset
3.7
Kevin Hawley

1. Great Opportunity in Outside Sales

Pros

Great exposure to outside sales, territory management; and customer relations.

Cons

Variability in group production, large territories, and competition.

2. Sales Rep

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Great American Opportunities full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good People at Co, Down to earth Clientele, great to work with, very flexible schedule, good income potential, fun job, rewarding

Cons

It is still a sales job, have to be disciplined and consistent to be successful, some things out of your control

Advice to Management

continue to keep products relevant to customers

Great American Greed

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Great American Opportunities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are great and caring people in Customer Care and home office that work tirelessly. However, the "help" at the home office are severely underpaid. Only the senior people rake in huge salaries. GA has a wide variety of products the problem is there have been quality issues with the cookie dough for years. When it comes to originality they fall short. They make none of there products except the cookie dough (manufactured in Canada). The rest of the line is made by other companies and sold by other fundraising companies cheaper than GA sells it. See Great American Greed.

Cons

Great American and Senior management are all about profit. Every decision is made with the stock holders in mind first. Decisions are made without regard to the customer and forget about worrying about the sales people in the field. Sales reps are made to pay for prizes and other expenses out of their pockets. This was not always the case but the policy has changed. You may be starting at $60K but you will fork out $10K-$20K from these monies to pay the wide variety of expenses. You will also work tirelessly for 2-3 years before you will see any real results. About this time management will cut your territory. Management loves to cut in new people when a sales rep grows beyond a certain sales level. GA Management tells potential new hires how they are "family" and a company "who cares". It's all a smoke screen to lure talented people to GA. My advice is to not even consider working at this company.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a culture change. This will never happen with the current ownership or senior management team. GA's strengths are their talented home office staff (not senior management) and field sales force. Advice to management? Live by the Gold Rule---telling people you are a Christian based company is not enough.

Originality

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Great American Opportunities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom and depending on the region you're in you'lol have great leadership. You can negotiate a higher salary. They have reps starting out at $30,000, but some start out at $60,000. Good benefits and if you like learning from the older generation it's the place to be. You get to romance prizes in front of students.

Cons

Fundraising sales are dropping nationwide and your commission will be based off kids selling things for you.

Advice to Management

Stop copying other companies and stick to the business of building people. Invest in a CRM for your reps and try to find other ways to motivate your sales reps. Your customers are asking "what's in your bag of tricks that's making schools more money than ever?" This means they are asking you to be the think tank for them using products from GAO or not. Fundraising consultant or reading specialist should not be on the business cards because that's just manipulative. Reading specialists are educators and consultants don't ask for transactions. You're a sales rep for a product distribution company.

Sales Rep

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Schools always need more money, great support, awesome management, stock plan is fantastic. Also off of work when school is out (summer, Christmas/Thanksgiving break, MLK day, etc.)

Cons

Industry is evolving, company not necessarily keeping up with times. Also, there is an income limit. At some point, time becomes the limiting factor

Advice to Management

Keep incorporating new ideas,

7. Office Staff position - much satisfied.

Former Employee - Administrative Office Support in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Administrative Office Support in Nashville, TN

Pros

Great American has excellent health benefits and does participate in profit sharing. They have long term employees, sometimes multi generation. An indication of a good company to work for is how happy are the people working there. Everyone at Great American was helpful and pleasant.

Cons

Company may be subject to lay offs.

This is a terrific company to work for that provides you with ample opportunities to progress and achieve high income.

Pros

GAO is the leading company in the fundraising industry. Its diversity in products allows every representative to work with many groups and schools. If you love helping others and working with children, then you will not think of this as a job. Its almost like being the CEO of your own company with the flexibility of a school schedule.

Cons

You have to be good at time management and prioritize your activities.

9. Great people, great company!

Current Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

Work in a great field with a great company that allows you the opportunity to build a great business helping schools raise money while generating a great income for you and your family!

Cons

This is a great opportunity if you are willing to work very hard with great consistency!

Advice to Management

Keep developing new younger reps and keep leading and developing new programs and systems.

10. Just like family!

Pros

We are the largest company in our industry, yet small enough to be able to text our President with new ideas or suggestions.

Cons

We have such an explosive marketplace with so many clients in need, we just can't seem to hire fast enough.

Great American Opportunities Response

Dec 9, 2014

How many multi-million dollar companies have the kind of atmosphere that the President not only responds to your text messages, but a company that the President and VP regularly spend time in the car ... More

11. Why it is Great to be a part of Great American!

Current Employee - Field Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Field Sales Manager

I have been working at Great American Opportunities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The reason I work for Great American is the company allows me to control my own destiny. Employees that are great at building relationships, love helping schools and can sell are very successful. The best thing about working here is that you can manage your own schedule. We work very hard, but we have a good amount of rest during the holidays and in June and July, We work for our families and we care about each other plus we have profit sharing and stock! What more could you ask for?

Cons

Managing your expenses can be challenging.

Advice to Management

Keep Listening. The sales people perform better when they know that they have been heard and office team work better when they know that they have been heard.

RSS Feed </> Embed