Great American Opportunities

Updated November 30, 2014
Updated November 30, 2014
3.7

John Davis

This is a terrific company to work for that provides you with ample opportunities to progress and achieve high income.

I have been working at Great American Opportunities full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

GAO is the leading company in the fundraising industry. Its diversity in products allows every representative to work with many groups and schools. If you love helping others and working with children, then you will not think of this as a job. Its almost like being the CEO of your own company with the flexibility of a school schedule.

Cons

You have to be good at time management and prioritize your activities.

Go to work & You can earn six figures!

Current Employee - Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant

I have been working at Great American Opportunities full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great American gives you the chance to have unlimited income. If you're wiling to work hard you can earn a six figure income within your first two years. Great American offers the best commission plan in the industry and a very lucrative bonus program. There are also tremendous incentive trips for sales people to earn. Recent trips included Bermuda & Spain! This year's trip will be Costa Rica!
    Most sales people are in a job five years before they can earn two weeks vacation. At Great American you set your own schedule. Sure you work hard certain times of the year but most sales people have at least five weeks off during the year. Think about it two weeks at Christmas (schools are closed) and at least three weeks off in the summer time. What job in your first year can offer you that?
    Management & Marketing are quick to react to trends in the marketplace. They have an open door policy and listen to the field sales reps concerns. The Marketing Department is the best you will find in any company!

Cons

You need to be a self-starter and self-motivated. You are given a tremendous mound of day to day freedom. Sure you have to report to a manager but you are not micromanaged on a daily basis. Why is this a "con"? Most people I have worked with can't handle the freedom, sooner or later they start slacking off. New people that wash out in the their first year leave because they are not disciplined.

Acquire World's Finest Chocolate, Enjoy the City & SaveAround!

Great people, great company!

Current Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

Work in a great field with a great company that allows you the opportunity to build a great business helping schools raise money while generating a great income for you and your family!

Cons

This is a great opportunity if you are willing to work very hard with great consistency!

Keep developing new younger reps and keep leading and developing new programs and systems.

Just like family!

I have been working at Great American Opportunities

Pros

We are the largest company in our industry, yet small enough to be able to text our President with new ideas or suggestions.

Cons

We have such an explosive marketplace with so many clients in need, we just can't seem to hire fast enough.

Dec 9, 2014

How many multi-million dollar companies have the kind of atmosphere that the President not only responds to your text messages, but a company that the President and VP regularly spend time in the car ... More

Why it is Great to be a part of Great American!

Current Employee - Field Sales Manager

I have been working at Great American Opportunities full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The reason I work for Great American is the company allows me to control my own destiny. Employees that are great at building relationships, love helping schools and can sell are very successful. The best thing about working here is that you can manage your own schedule. We work very hard, but we have a good amount of rest during the holidays and in June and July, We work for our families and we care about each other plus we have profit sharing and stock! What more could you ask for?

Cons

Managing your expenses can be challenging.

Keep Listening. The sales people perform better when they know that they have been heard and office team work better when they know that they have been heard.

As companies grow, so do the issues with the sales reps.

Current Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

Enjoyable and flexible schedule as an outside sales rep. Good products and good programs to work with. Great customer care and rep team. I have a great manager who respects and appreciates the work I do for the company.

Cons

You are on your own with expenses and managing your business. Many reps have been upside down in commissions or expense account purchases. With acquiring new companies come territory overlaps. I am in a situation where there are three reps in a mid-size city territory. No room to grow and expand when you have a limited market. I have a hard time lately justifying the amount of gas I burn and wear and tear on my vehicle compared with the sales income I have.

Stop nickle and diming your reps with expenses like brochure costs and coallating fees and teaching us how to pin those expenses on the customer. Our job is to helps schools raise money, not apply the law of diminishing returns to their profits. If we keep passing on the expenses to them, they won't have a profit left! The sales promotions to grow the company in sales are marginal at best.

Dec 9, 2014

Great American has been in business over 40 years, and the focus has been to help schools throughout the country, and allow the sales reps to have a career they can be excited about. There used to ... More

Great place to work!

I have been working at Great American Opportunities full-time

Pros

Great American is a family oriented, privately held company that cares about its employees. Their systems are tailored towards making life better for both rep and customer year in and year out. This job is great in that you get out what you put in. The sales compensation structure is based on how hard you want to work. The harder you work, the greater your chances to kill it! It is not out of the question to make six figures if you go out and hustle. Great American values this effort and genuinely wants to see its people make the incentive trips offered yearly to the field. Most impressive is the integrity with which our senior management conducts business. Integrity begins at the top and flows down through the am amazing support staff/customer service teams. I would definitely recommend Great American to a friend!

Cons

Must stay organized (not a con, but definitely a consideration)

amazing company to work for...

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Great American Opportunities full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wow, what a great company to work for. If you are willing to go out and work, the sky is the limit. I have been working for the company for only 2 years and have already attained a six figure income. Work hard during the school year and enjoy your summer off. AMAZING support from the home office allowing you to sell and not have to worry about minutia. Aggressive commission structure, salary opportunities, and stock options.

Cons

If you are not willing to go to work everyday, this job is not for you.

Friendly environment. Like a second family.

I have been working at Great American Opportunities

Pros

Very understanding that life happens and working with you with actual concern to get through any obstacles.

Cons

There are almost no opportunities for advancement in the company unless you know someone or have been with the company for years.

Pay more attention to your seasonal employees. You have a very talented group of individuals. Promotions should be performance-based rather than tenure-based.

Dec 9, 2014

Being a school fundraising company, there are certainly busier months than others. GA does it's very best to offer many jobs seasonally to people that work behind the scenes during our "crazy ... More

Best decision I ever made.

Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Great American Opportunities full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The support I receive from the corporate office, my regional manager, and even the other sales reps in my region has been outstanding. There are so many people I can call for advice and help.

In the beginning, I was assigned a schedule riding with other reps in their territory to learn and ask questions. Later, very experienced reps came and rode with me in my territory. Even though I learned a lot at training in Nashville, nothing compared to being out in my own territory with an experienced rep by my side to give advice, help, and answer questions.

I am able to set my own hours and schedule. That being said, this is not a "work from home" business. My car is my office. I still have to go to the "office" every day, but I decide what part of my territory to tackle each day. I am able to plan my schedule around my kids' activities, and take an "office day" when necessary.

This job is all about self-motivation. In my previous job, the salary was the same for the hardest worker as it was for the slacker (with the same degree and years of experience, of course) With GAO, my salary is 100% up to me and the effort I put in.

The company provides many incentives as a reward for hard work - company paid trips, gift cards, vacation expense allowances, and bonuses are some examples.

So far, I haven't at all regretted leaving my previous job of 12 years to work for GAO. GAO has provided me with a greater opportunity to provide for my family and gives me the time to spend with them.

Cons

I read in a previous review about people spending too much for prizes. The company has a company-paid prize program that costs me nothing. GAO also pays a percentage if I choose to create my own prize program. It is true that expenses can add up, but my manager helps me watch my spending and keep it at a minimum. So I suppose this is a CON with a PRO.

We do have competition with other fundraising companies and independents. Learning how to compete as a new rep against people who have been doing it for years has been my biggest challenge. But there are always other GAO reps whom I can call for help.