Great Canadian Gaming

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great Canadian Gaming Chairman and CEO Ross J. McLeod

Ross J. McLeod

Wanted to go further with this company but wasn't given opportunity or encouragement

I have been working at Great Canadian Gaming full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood place to work if you are a student, or are between careers.

ConsNo room for growth, and management doesn't recognize the assets they already have in the department.

A Company That Could Be Better

I have been working at Great Canadian Gaming part-time for more than 10 years

ProsLots of good people to work with. There are many long term employees who are loyal to the company.

ConsManagement without a lot of business experience. Many managers have only worked for this company and do not have business experience or education. Company does not have long term business plans. They only seem to have annual budget plans. Management spent time on telling staff about values but these are just words and not followed.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for business experience and knowledge when hiring. Think beyond one year.

gcc review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Great Canadian Gaming

ProsAfter working with a company for 20 years, there are always a few good people you work with

Consinconsistency in management. scheduling sucks and takes too long for seniority. any time you move up or get promoted, you must go back to graveyard shifts for years!

Advice to Senior Managementneed to communicate more with all levels and listen, promotion shouldnt demote you in seniority and make you work graveyard for the next decade!!!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Verbal abuse daily

Card Dealer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Great Canadian Gaming full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, coworkers are nice

ConsFavoritism especially with the scheduler, managers who kiss up can be late 90 minutes while dealers who are late one minute get written up. Staff get yelled at, sworn at, threatened and all they tell you is that it's not personal and we need to suck it up.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff instead of having the company run by idiots.

Common sense is not too common in F&B

Banquet Server (Current Employee)
Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Great Canadian Gaming part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat intentions, solid corporate philosophy, growth potential

ConsMICROMANAGEMENT EXTRAORDINAIRES. They have all the good intentions in the world but the training, departmental orientation, attitude and working under pressure leaves MUCH to be desired. Half the time you are waiting around for a door to be unlocked or for someone to tell you what to do and if you do, do something on your own your are chastised for it. Furthermore is you do something wrong or put something in the wrong place you are told "well isn't that just common sense" Common sense is only common when you do it all the time or it is common knowledge. How much common knowledge do you have on your second day of work when you don't know where anything is or where anything goes and everyone is too busy to tell you or they assume you know as much as they do?
In short the gaming side from what I can see is well run AS IT HAS TO BE.. it is regulated by a provincial body, the F&B side is an absolute joke!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the Micromanagement and trust in your supervisors or senior staff who 9 times out of 10 the rest of the staff look for direction anyway. Or even better purge the corporate smiling lackeys and people who get the job done into positions of authority... most of the staff would thank you for it. Stop using the term "common sense" to explain away any and everything... you are 1 WCB claim away from a huge nightmare of an audit of workplace safety with that attitude. Yes the "guests come first and service is of prime importance but for the staff to succeed they need clear solid dependable management and quality core departmental specific training.. of which NONE is provided.

If given a paper bag, they could not manage their way out of it

I have been working at Great Canadian Gaming part-time

ProsSome good floor staff and good intentions of management

ConsVery poor follow through and direction of management toward front end staff. Poor training in some critical areas of operation. Very poor new front line staff training in the general operation and even lay out of property. Information required for working there is over the top. Security is a nightmare, so many hours waiting for keys or for someone to let you into a space

Advice to Senior ManagementGive new employees the tools they need to succeed by giving proper and THOROUGH training. Sink of swim does not cut it. Micromanagement is for for children not your employees

some good workmates, but terrible management and communication skills

I have been working at Great Canadian Gaming

ProsThe benefits for dental is very good compared to most hotels. Everything else would be average.

ConsThe vacation package is very sneaky. Employees should ask human resources to run them by twice.
Some workmates are extremely over the top lazy, and no one does anything about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPLEASE communicate better with your staff. It`s really important to hear them out.

Card Dealer - Great Canadian Gaming

Card Dealer (Former Employee)
Port Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

I worked at Great Canadian Gaming

ProsChallenging work, stimulating environment, fun coworkers.

ConsStanding for hours at a time is physically tiring, and can even become painful.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps it may be healthier if Card Dealers were allowed to sit while working.

GCC a company or a prison cell?

Dealer Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Great Canadian Gaming

ProsThe pay is somewhat better than most customer service related jobs. It's not good enough though. that's about it.

ConsNo life pretty much. It's hard to get the shift you want. Very bad scheduling and managment is partial to some senior staff about their schedules. It's difficult ot take time off and everything is by the clock. The company is very cheap and demands a lot from it's employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSmarten up and show some consideration or at least show that you care for the staff working for you.

Worked for Great Canadian Gaming? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Great Canadian Gaming reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Great Canadian Gaming CEO Ross J. McLeod. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Great Canadian Gaming employees.