Great Clips

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great Clips CEO Rhoda Olsen

Rhoda Olsen

Pros
  • Flexible schedules make it easy to balance other responsibilities(in 7 reviews)

• Flexible hours, always busy, steady income(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The stylists there can hardly cut hair to save their life(in 12 reviews)

• You get paid a little above minimum wage, and only earn a (very small) commission(in 8 reviews)

It's a great way to get comfortable with cutting and styling hair straight out of cosmetology school

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get paid by the hour regardless of the clients coming in. Plus tips.

ConsThe pay could be much much better. I started out at 7.00 with a license. Go figure

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay and consider being closed on Sundays for the Lord.

Has been a well educated journey.

Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber (Former Employee) The Dalles, OR

ProsGreat place to learn to sharpen your people skills.

ConsPeople not showing up for their shifts!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a little more to get a lot less. Back up what you say you'll do.Don't ask a stylist to do something you wouldn't do.

Great place to learn

Stylist (Former Employee) Fort Wayne, IN

ProsEnergetic often fast paced working environment, great team to work with and everyone got along with no fighting or back stabbing. Great place to build your speed especially on men's cuts.

ConsDue to the volume of clipper cuts I would recommend that stylist invest in an Oster rotary clipper, the affordable Wahl clippers just don't last and you will replace them several times a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your stylists to get involved in the Management Training Program more often and set realistic retail sales goals. If your clients are flocking in the door for a $12 or less haircut (because they have coupons) then it is highly unlikely that they are even going to listen to the stylist's recommendations let alone buy anything. I am not saying it cant be done, because it can, just be realistic about it. :)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was not appreciated in my professional position

Hair Stylist (Former Employee) Kingsland, GA

ProsYou have a guaranteed income or salary

ConsYour haircuts are timed and you must sell product

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to be tolerant of the general manager

It was ok

Stylist/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Grand Blanc, MI

Proshad fun and coworkers were great. I also like being a hair stylist. Being an assistant manager started off great also, but did not remain that way

Consworked long hours and the pay was not very high. Management did not follow through with promises and I soon lost interest. Going to work was a drudgery.

It was a place for someone just starting out.

Hair Stylist (Former Employee) Carbondale, IL

ProsPlenty of walk-In clients to practice on.

ConsNo acknowledgement from management or owners.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should hire management with more cutting skills. More common sense skills would be a nice plus also.

easy as does it made constant flow of cash

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proseasy as does it made constant flow of cash. job security, work on general public My social and friendly nature means I have a knack of connecting with children and adults from diverse backgrounds

ConsAlways worrying about the numbers, making you do more of their work. Constant issues with checks not being correct! Telling management to steal other staffs equipment then firing that staff member for getting upset about it.

It could have been worse.

Hair Stylist (Former Employee) Greencastle, IN

ProsI liked the diverse schedule. They were very flexible while I attended school. The clients were generally pleasant. I made a lifelong friend out of a co-worker.

ConsLow hourly wage, financial survival is more based on the tips and development of regulars (which are highly opposed)... the area in which I was placed required a discrete retention of specific clients to make my time valuable.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest they consider the "day in the life" of their associates. Some demands within my franchise to attend classes (that were always useless to me) seem irrational.

chop shop of salons

Manager (Current Employee)

Prosnothing nice to say here

ConsThey tell you what you want to hear to get you to work for them. Very low wages and franchisee in it for the money

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more

Horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice walk in, has the ability to be great. Not to much other than that.

ConsHorrible managers with no real training, pay wasn't that great at one franchise. No benefits Manager never did her job so expect to do it. Oh and you have to do fixes of the manager's which you can't put in the system. She doesn't want to know all her oops haircuts. Its OK because she can get them done in 5 mins just like a monkey can.

Advice to Senior ManagementRequire your managers to have training yearly or they are let go. Require the managers can pass a test of doing haircuts.

Worked for Great Clips? Contribute to the Community!