Great Clips

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great Clips CEO Rhoda Olsen

Rhoda Olsen

Pros:
  • "Flexible hours,easy parking at this Valencia,ca location"
    in 5 reviews
  • "a great start for stylists, you can make really good tips, build a clientele"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "The stylists there can hardly cut hair to save their life"
    in 10 reviews
  • "You get paid a little above minimum wage, and only earn a (very small) commission"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

20+ years and going strong!

Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

Proslove the automatic customer flow! The company truly looks to find out what the customers are wanting/needing in their hair cutting needs. Then implements their ideas in the salons!

ConsWith the poor economy I would say selling products can be difficult. I really don't have any cons for this company at all! They ask customers how they can improve in the salons...they make money...they are expanding...BILLION dollar company for a reason.

Advice to Senior ManagementLets keep the stylists challenged and skills fine tuned with more training classes at the training centers.

It's a good job because you get paid by the hour, but you have to be on pointe with your timing and retailing product.

Joliet, IL

ProsYou get paid by the hour, you get tips as long as the client knows to tip. You can get a portion of the profit from product sales, as well as productivity, if you are fast enough when it is busy. Flexible schedule if your manager is good. Paid vacation and paid holidays when you meet the hour requirements.

ConsNo benefits. You are required to cut hair within a set time period, even though not all haircuts can be properly delivered in such a small time frame. No continuing education is offered. The pay per hour is not high enough to compensate for the high demand placed on stylists. Receptionists are not trained long enough. They are the first people our clients see, and sometimes, that is a nightmare.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a better wage per hour. Offer some sort of benefit package. Offer continuing education.

Stylist

Hair Stylist (Current Employee)

ProsGreat place to work. Love the people and customers.

ConsThere isn't anything to say.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Would be nice for a first time job

Hair Stylist (Current Employee)

ProsYou will learn to cut fast and well. its a numbers game and that is what matters. Things are run by the book but followed through on some people but not others.

ConsNo regular schedule, You are just your numbers, Pay is low and bonuses are set up so that you cant reach the goal,

Great part time work!

Hair Stylist (Former Employee)
    Cedar Rapids, IA

ProsFlexible hours, always busy, steady income

ConsThey work you like a horse for little pay

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people, offer rotating weekends off

It's a great way to get comfortable with cutting and styling hair straight out of cosmetology school

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get paid by the hour regardless of the clients coming in. Plus tips.

ConsThe pay could be much much better. I started out at 7.00 with a license. Go figure

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay and consider being closed on Sundays for the Lord.

Stylists forced to treat clients like herded cattle.

Hairstylist (Current Employee)

ProsThe only good thing about working at Great Clips is a lot of the clients are very nice. Tips are good but only because of the sheer volume of clients we service. Also, luckily all the stylists in our shop are pretty good at what they do despite being hounded about the speed of their work. I do like interacting with the clients. We have an Air Force base and a university in our town so our clientele is pretty diverse.

ConsThere are so many negative things about Great Clips. Clients are herded in and out like cattle. They bully you about your numbers constantly. All our stylists numbers are posted every week for every one of us to see. Sort of like a shame board. If you're having a slow or bad week, everyone knows it! A few times the dollar amount of what we made was posted on the wall which was humiliating and I think illegal. There is zero education in our shop. We just got an intern who our manager is treating as a shop slave. Our manager also hired her sons girlfriend which is a huge conflict of interest. There's so much drama it's demoralizing sometimes. I'm only working here because of the convenience of being so close to home. We actually have a list of clients who haven't been in the shop in a long time listed in order of the amount of money they've spent in the shop! We have to call them and offer them a discounted haircut to get them back in. You can also never get a raise the way because of their point system.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to stop bullying your stylists about their speed. Care more about the quality of the work. That's why we have a reputation as a chop shop. Being forced to cut so fast is ridiculous. Offer salon education to your employees. Great Clips has such a big turn over of stylists for a reason. The point system is also the worst. Even with a doctor's note if you're late or miss a day you get a point. Disgusting way to treat your employees.

Good Job

ProsI loved that they were willing to work with me and train me.

ConsWish they had more training available.

Has been a well educated journey.

Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber (Former Employee)
    The Dalles, OR

ProsGreat place to learn to sharpen your people skills.

ConsPeople not showing up for their shifts!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a little more to get a lot less. Back up what you say you'll do.Don't ask a stylist to do something you wouldn't do.

Great place to learn

Stylist (Former Employee)
    Fort Wayne, IN

ProsEnergetic often fast paced working environment, great team to work with and everyone got along with no fighting or back stabbing. Great place to build your speed especially on men's cuts.

ConsDue to the volume of clipper cuts I would recommend that stylist invest in an Oster rotary clipper, the affordable Wahl clippers just don't last and you will replace them several times a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your stylists to get involved in the Management Training Program more often and set realistic retail sales goals. If your clients are flocking in the door for a $12 or less haircut (because they have coupons) then it is highly unlikely that they are even going to listen to the stylist's recommendations let alone buy anything. I am not saying it cant be done, because it can, just be realistic about it. :)

Worked for Great Clips? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Great Clips reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Great Clips CEO Rhoda Olsen. All 162 reviews posted anonymously by Great Clips employees.