Great Clips

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great Clips CEO Rhoda Olsen

Rhoda Olsen

Pros
  • Flexible schedules make it easy to balance other responsibilities (in 7 reviews)

• Flexible hours, always busy, steady income (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The stylists there can hardly cut hair to save their life (in 12 reviews)

• You get paid a little above minimum wage, and only earn a (very small) commission (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall great clips was a good place to work.

Hairstylist (Current Employee) Shelby, MI

ProsThe best part was the built in clientele.

ConsThe worst part was the irregular schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should not promise a certain number of hours then once your in not give them.

You're basically their slave.

Hair Stylist (Current Employee) Waukesha, WI

ProsI can't think of any.

ConsDuring training they tell you to go shop at thrift stores for your work clothes because they know they don't pay you enough.

Busy and fast paced. Fun place to work at. Great co-workers. Client's are great!

Hair Stylist (Current Employee)

ProsIf you're just starting out, you don't need a clientele. Tips are great. Busy and hardly ever slow.

ConsSometimes you don't get a break. During sales you can expect to stand for many hours with out a break.

Advice to Senior ManagementBalance life/work for stylists.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

they care more about quantity then quality

Stylist/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

Prosthey give everyone a chance to learn how to cut hair

ConsIf you average longer then 16 minutes multiple weeks you will probably receive a write up.

Don't do it. You deserve better.

Licensed Cosmetologist (Current Employee) Coralville, IA

Prosbusy, good amount of tips, you don't need to find your own clients, good place to get your cut times down if your new to hair cutting.

If you have a tough personality and can handle pressure well (if you are sensitive, STAY AWAY) , this is a great place to start off your career, but I would not stay for more than a year do to it's demanding nature.

Consunfair workplace, drama, terrible hours, constant pressure to cut faster, many people quit so they run you dry until you are forced to, clients just want a "decent" cut so they don't care about quality, it's kind of like the fast food business of the cosmetology world, other stylists in more upscale salons treat you as though you aren't even qualified to be a cosmetologist ((no respect for the job)). Also, very short lunch breaks (10 minutes, if you even get a lunch break) at random times really takes a toll on your body. If you work until closing, a lot of the time you have to eat when you get home (around 10 pm) then head straight to bed to work a morning shift the next day (wake up at 6 or 7). This causes you to gain weight very quickly. Most of the stylists I worked with had a hard time staying healthy, and the ones that did had to put forth an incredible amount of effort to do so.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know all places have different management, but my area went through 4 managers in 1 year. All 4 had no prior managing experience (other than taking a class that great clips provided) So 3 out of 4 of the managers were incredible corrupt. They treated the other stylists as completely inferior and forced many of them to take all the holidays and split shifts. I think they wouldn't go through as many managers if they were fair about their business.

Felt very rushed and more like a machine than a person.

Hairstylist (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsBusy salon, great opportunity to build clientele, and opportunity to gain lots of experience cutting hair.

ConsTime limits on haircuts, so you have to be able to cut extremely fast.They are very particular when it comes to hitting your numbers, especially your cuts per hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementExtend the amount of time allotted to complete a haircut if you want less redoes and better quality.

For what its worth

ProsCan work with a school Schedule um good clients provides station shampoo bowls

ConsLove 9 dóllars a hour . When You get hiref get ready to work like. Dog period

Advice to Senior ManagementPléase corporate step up and help these salón owners hire The correct people

Good to start out

Stylist (Current Employee) Corona, CA

ProsLiveable wage from tips. Good to start out. If you mostly like cutting over coloring it's an okay place of employment. Environment varies based on your location of course.

ConsWorking so much for so little, Working every weekend, threatened to make haircut times and product, not compensated for marketing and using your own car, on call shifts that get extended. The list goes on.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of giving out almost free haircuts, pay your employees what they're putting in.

it was ok

Hair Stylist (Former Employee) Rockport, TX

Prosyou do not need a clientele

Conspay, drama, you have to provide you own tools,

Decent job

Hair Stylist (Former Employee) Nampa, ID

ProsIt stays busy so you will have the opportunity to earn a little bit of commission by cutting hair and selling products, and you earn tips. After one year, you can get insurance if you are full time. The company does provide continuing education.

ConsHourly wage is low and it gets a little boring doing men's haircuts over and over. The majority of the customers are men.

Worked for Great Clips? Contribute to the Community!