Great Clips

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014

Great Clips CEO Rhoda Olsen
Rhoda Olsen

Pros
  • a great start for stylists, you can make really good tips, build a clientele (in 9 reviews)

• Flexible hours for part time work (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Even the managers cut hair to fast to do it right (in 12 reviews)

• Expected to work long, hard hours for minimum wage (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great salons and GREAT company

Current Employee - General Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - General Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Great Clips full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I would highly recommend stylists work here

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of.

Become a great stylist at Great Clips!

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Lake Havasu City, AZ

I worked at Great Clips full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of hours to work preparing for the arrival of winter visitors and letting the locals know where we are and what Great Clips can offer. Management aids in one-on-one training.

Cons

Standing all day long - please wear comfortable shoes. Bring snacks to nibble here and there.

Sometimes only two stylists working at a time and answering the phone and checking customers in adds time to allotted haircut times.

Stylist

Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist in Denver, CO

I worked at Great Clips full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If u r fast at hair cuts then this place is for you

Cons

U have to give up your family time a lot. They are open holidays weekends and nights. They don't pay extra or overtime. You also have to cut dirty ppls hair a lot.

Match 401 k and add medical benefits for employees

Unprofessional

Former Employee - Hair Stylist
    Former Employee - Hair Stylist

I worked at Great Clips part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great clientele, fast paced, great tips. Good place for someone starting in the industry.

Cons

Incompetent owners that don't care, Management threw baby fits (took hours for doing something she didn't like), favoritism, cliques. No breaks per law. Lots of standing (to be expected though) you're expected to play stylist, receptionist and be happy through it all when there are only two of you and you're packed. They tell you you get paid for closing, but you don't. You switch to closing, close, then it tells you to clock out before the paperwork is even sent (takes up to 15 minutes). Open door policy sure is open! Anything you say will be on the salon floor the next day!
    I asked four former employee's about GC before I started working there if I should take the job, they all said no. Should have listened!

Who's upper management? Corporate? I already went to them and they said to contact the owners who don't give a flying rats behind! The owners of the store only care about $$$. The manager only cares about not getting her butt caught in all the stuff she does wrong!

A very fast paced atmosphere!

Former Employee - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Hair Dresser/Stylist/Barber in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Great Clips full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours for part time work.

Cons

The work load was easy, but the longevity of employees and commitment stunk.

Remember who helps you with your monthly/quarterly bonus check!

Fast paced

Current Employee - Stylist/Floor Manager
    Current Employee - Stylist/Floor Manager

I have been working at Great Clips full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love my team. If it wasn't for them I would have left within a few months. Fast paced and with tips you're coming home with money everyday. Training provided so you are able to get the tools you need.

Cons

Depends on the franchise you work for. You work for long periods of time consistently. Works like a sweatshop. I can work 9 hours and only get one break. On call shifts where you're waiting around all day to see if they need you. Constantly getting written up for not selling product and not cutting fast enough. Don't plan on having a life when you work here. The people you work with will become your best friends because you'll be seeing them the most. They complain about $$ when they are constantlyDepends on the franchise you work for. You work for long periods of time consistently. Works like a sweatshop. I can work 9 hours and only get one break. On call shifts where you're waiting around all day to see if they need you. Constantly getting written up for not selling product and not cutting fast enough. Sometimes I'm scheduled so many days In a row that I cannot perform haircuts as well and the customer suffers from it. They complain about $$ when they are constantly giving out free and discounted haircuts. Makes me feel cheap. giving out free and discounted haircuts. Makes me feel cheap.

Treat the stylists better, offer benefits and the breaks they need.

Great Place for new stylists- Very high turnover

Current Employee - Hair Stylist
    Current Employee - Hair Stylist

I have been working at Great Clips part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a great place to work if you are new to the industry and need a steady (small) paycheck and lots of people coming in the door.

Cons

This company has a high turnover because long term it is not a pleasant place to be employed. Metrics are pushed heavily, many of them very difficult to achieve even for top stylists and the rewards are minimal. If you have the experience to achieve their standards you can be making significantly more money with less stress elsewhere. Communication between franchisees, corporate, district managers and frontline management is very poor.

I would recommend corporate follow up with franchisees more regularly to hold them accountable for management practices. Franchisees please remember that while customer focused policies are good for business disregarding employee scheduling requests and paying minimum wage for virtually on-call stylists is a recipe for turnover which clients hate.

Overall, pretty great company.

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Peoria, AZ
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Peoria, AZ

I have been working at Great Clips full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the cosmetology field, there is a lot of competition between stylists. At Great Clips, that competition is minimal because you are paid hourly plus bonuses on productivity and products so you're not competing with other stylists....you're only competing with yourself to get that great paycheck. In great shops, there is multiple opportunities for education and growth, including the opportunity to move up the ladder.

Cons

During slower times, payroll becomes a concern for management and upper management so the hours you are given are not always the hours you need. Some franchises have expectations that are a little out of reach and don't always understand that sometimes it takes baby steps to get where you want to be.

It is so important to acknowledge the baby steps, no matter how small, if you want your team to work hard. If they feel that you only care about the bottom line, they won't work hard for you. Why would thry care about YOUR business if YOU don't show them that you care about THEM?Just celebrate the small things and the big celebrations will follow!!

Choppy choppy

I worked at Great Clips

Pros

Fast money, immediate clientele that's all the pros I have. Nasty clients come in and you can't shampoo their heads till they agree to pay for a shampoo. Managers don't know what they are doing and if they don't then you know the stylist don't.

Cons

They work you to death never takin into consideration that you need a break from the cattle hurdling! Pay is not what you could make in full service. The rules always change as well as managers and employees. You have no time to build a relationship with your clients. They hire people straight out of school so good luck getting a fabulous cut cause it's not gonna happen. Even the managers cut hair to fast to do it right. I wouldn't work there ever again even if they offered me $50 as a base pay they couldn't get me back.

Be glad you have the great clips name cause without it the salons wouldn't do well. Hire people with experience that can communicate well with client base. Also manager don't need to have sexual relations with their franchisee makes your general managers quit cause they see they won't have any authority to get the job done because the manager of the salon will always be right.

20+ years and going strong!

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Great Clips full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

love the automatic customer flow! The company truly looks to find out what the customers are wanting/needing in their hair cutting needs. Then implements their ideas in the salons!

Cons

With the poor economy I would say selling products can be difficult. I really don't have any cons for this company at all! They ask customers how they can improve in the salons...they make money...they are expanding...BILLION dollar company for a reason.

Lets keep the stylists challenged and skills fine tuned with more training classes at the training centers.