Great Harvest

Mike Ferretti

Manager

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Great Harvest full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Small, family-owned, very giving to the community, great relationships built with boss, coworkers, and customers, health/dental benefits for full-time, fun lively environment, great music, busy with always things to do, never boring!

Cons

Not much room for growth due to small size.

Incredibly fun place to work

I worked at Great Harvest

Pros

What is there not to like about a hippy bread company that makes a quality, all natural product and lets you take as many loaves of bread home that you can logically eat? Great vibe and generally a good group of people.

Cons

Being at work at 4am is kind of crazy, but you get used to it. Getting off work at noon is kinda cool anyways.

None

Hard Work but good experience

I worked at Great Harvest part-time

Pros

Good Bread, good vibe and atmosphere. High quality product

Cons

depending on the management it can be tough because things can be ran so differently.

be open and transparent.

challenging work but great owner

Former Employee - Manager in Champaign, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Champaign, IL

I worked at Great Harvest full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

awesome owner, great food, many incentives, flexible hours

Cons

low pay, high volume in inconsistent intervals, high turnover rate of employees after you train them

reevaluate pay rates for employees, too much work for small pay rate

Fun, Friendly Atmosphere

Former Employee - Kneader in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Kneader in Rochester, MN

I worked at Great Harvest part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company's outlook on how they do business is a good outlook on life. Each store has freedom to do as they wish based on specifics. They donate and get involved in the community. The make good products with good ingredients and it's a joy and honor to be a part of such a happy company.

Cons

The pay was never too good, but it seems to be based on your location and how well business is.

It would be great if there were specific leadership role opportunities available.

It was a very good experience.

I worked at Great Harvest part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The food is good. Try it.

Cons

I just want more money. That's all!

It has been great to work.

I have been working at Great Harvest

Pros

I love how its a freedom franchise. The owners are great to work for and are very flexiable

Cons

The hours could be better. The prices of the bread are a bit high but understandable

Would Be Better If Not For Unfair Treatment And Unequal Pay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Great Harvest part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Customers were great, coworkers were great, and the work was great, but no effort was appreciated and pay was discriminatory.

Cons

HORRIBLE management. My coworkers and myself would literally run across the store, making sandwiches, coffee drinks, slicing bread, and helping customers all while keeping a positive attitude, yet the owners didn't think we should be allowed to make tips. This would be fine if not for the fact that I made minimum wage after working there for two years, and even the girls working there for longer made just above minimum wage.

This was made worse by the fact that they hired someone new for an hourly rate $4 higher than anyone else's, who was fired a month later because of poor performance.
    Basically, if you're a guy working at this location you will be fine, but they seem to underpay their female employees comparatively.

They are constantly understaffed, forcing more work on the already undervalued employees, and they come up with last minute orders or ingredient prep that needs to be done after closing. Also, everyone in the family is clueless as to what is going on yet they all get better wages and hours than the other employees.

The worst part is that their motto is "give generously to others." They bend over backwards for customers, promising huge last minute orders and elaborate deliveries, then do nothing to take responsibility for the execution, instead placing more responsibility on the two employees who are already trying to manage a lunch rush on their own. They'll do anything as long as it's not for their own staff.

Schedules are often posted midway through the week, so for Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday no one has any idea when or if they're supposed to come in. I would often wake up to a call at 8:30 AM on a Tuesday telling me I'm working in 30 minutes without any prior notice. This job demands a lot, physically and emotionally, but gives little in return.

Value the employees you have and don't let personal ego get in the way of efficiency.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Cashier in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Cashier in Newark, DE

I worked at Great Harvest part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Previously worked with the owner. Very easy job and you get to meet a lot of nice people. Great People to work for. Friendly Family oriented business. Great food as well. You are able to sample any all the breads that they make before buying them so you know before hand if you like it or not. They also have a frequent buyer card after 12 loafs you get one free.

Cons

I had a 20 mile commute and was only working part time.

Keep doing what you are doing. You have a great product that is god tasting as well as healthy.

Great first job

Former Employee - Cashier in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Dallas, TX

I worked at Great Harvest

Pros

I like the franchise culture of this company. It was a great chance to get experience with customer service. Overall good company.

Cons

There were limited opportunities for advancing, although I was only there for a short period of time. But vertical mobility was definitely not very attainable.