Great Lakes Aviation

Charles R. Howell IV

Under paid pilots

Pilot (Former Employee)

I worked at Great Lakes Aviation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGLA employes their own mechanics. This is a rare thing in the aviation industry and is very valuable and safe.
The pilots go through the hardest training program of any airline.

ConsThe airline does not value their military employes. If you take military leave, they take away all benefits including ones that costs the company no money such as jumps eat privileges.
The pilots have gone to school and study for many years and are paid less that a MC Donald's worker.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe first officers at this company qualify for food stamps and low income housing, they are under paid. Increase the pay scale.

Fun job, but employees are under paid and not appreciated.

Ramp Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at Great Lakes Aviation full-time for more than a year

ProsFun work, fun coworkers, great crew members, fun meeting passengers

ConsDoesn't pay enough to make a decent living. Employees are not treated like they matter at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like they are important-without them, you have no business.

A lot of work for a little pay

CSA (Former Employee)

I worked at Great Lakes Aviation part-time for more than a year

ProsTravel Benefits, good on line recurrent training

ConsMinimum Hours and horrible schedules

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay away

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee)
Cheyenne, WY

I have been working at Great Lakes Aviation full-time for more than a year

ProsSmall company with flight benefits

ConsSmall company, terrible management (lower and upper), terrible services, terrible airline, terrible motivation on company's behalf, terrible airplanes.

Overall, terrible.

The company is small, but not in a good way. Upper management in headquarters is a joke. Cannot be counted on to communicate important information. Does not help out any of the stations.

Small old airplanes. When they need servicing, there is no maintenance or parts around, so flights cancel and delay too often. Have an extremely poor on time rating.

Always understaffed. Employees are relied on to do TOO MUCH. An impossible amount, and are not rewarded or cherished.

Terrible pay. (first year pilots make $15 an hour)

FAA recently passed law in which commercial pilots operating under 121 CFR must posses 1,500 hours of flying time. Many Great Lakes Airlines pilots did not. Lost a lot of pilots. Many more pilots quitting due to being treated poorly. Refused to be treated that way anymore. Losing more pilots and always cancelling flights company-wide due to the shortage. Company won't last much longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry. Actually try.

Pilot

Pilot (Current Employee)

I have been working at Great Lakes Aviation full-time for more than a year

ProsNot many, You'll get a decent amount of flight time if you're not on reserve. The fast upgrades are gone now.

ConsThe company is poorly managed and they have no respect for their pilots. They pay around $16K a year.

Hard work for low pay and almost nonexistent benefits

Parts Inventory Handler (Current Employee)
Williston, ND

I have been working at Great Lakes Aviation full-time for more than a year

ProsWork colleagues are terrific and supportive. Aviation is a fun and exciting industry. You will gain a lot of experience with which to move to another company.

ConsSenior management has to be the worst of any company in America. Work is VERY demanding, pay is extremely low for the industry standard, benefits are limited and expensive, company misrepresents flight benefits (almost impossible to use), company has a very negative reputation. Company has no interest in developing their employees. Very high turn over. Miserable place.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees. Offer development, incentives, raises, and better benefits to decrease turn over and increase efficiency.

Not the best place to work

Cheyenne, WY

I have been working at Great Lakes Aviation

ProsThere are great coworkers depending on which shift you end up working. If you're into the aviation industry it's a good place to start.

ConsManagement doesn't respect their employees very much unless said employees work on the management side of the building. Poor communication. Company is very reactive instead of proactive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees and treat them with respect. Don't treat them like they're expendable and don;t offer anything to the company.

frustrating

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Great Lakes Aviation

Prospay better then small airlines, but no way to get a raise, free flight benefits

Consno training, no consistancy, no full time postions available, no health benefits, station operation manual were obsolete

Advice to Senior Managementno company guidelines made sense

Fun, but fustrating at times.

Customer Service (Current Employee)
Ontario, CA

I have been working at Great Lakes Aviation

ProsCo-workers and flight crews and the ability to do TDY in other locations is awesome. The flight benifits are good as well depending on location. Defently have made some friends for life working here.

ConsThis is a company were promotion and the amount of people on a flight don't matter. This company is completly dependent on the federal subsidized EAS program which is likely to go away almost entirely by Oct 2013.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a better benifits package that's cheeper, better and with a company we've all heard of and know of. Sketchy when it costs a family 800 bucks a month to a similar sounding name as the airline.

Politics

ProsGood Flight Benefits out of MSP. Awesome crew to work with

ConsManager is horrible. New Supervisor was promoted just for kissing the Station managers rear end . He is completely inappropriate and lacks all skills of having that position. No positive reinforcement from her and when you screw you you will hear about it for days.

Advice to Senior ManagementPOSITIVE REINFORCEMENT.

Worked for Great Lakes Aviation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Great Lakes Aviation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Great Lakes Aviation CEO Charles R. Howell IV. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Great Lakes Aviation employees.