Great Lakes Dredge & Dock

Add Photos

Great Lakes Dredge & Dock CEO and Director Jonathan W. Berger

Jonathan W. Berger

Beware

I have been working at Great Lakes Dredge & Dock full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat co-workers, flex time is available, although frowned upon.

ConsTechnology is extremely outdated. Upper management has completely lost touch with daily operations. This is still an old time construction company, run like an old boys club. Raises and promotions have more to do with who you know and not what you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn your employees names. Walk around the office and learn what people do. When employees ask questions both out loud and annonomously through the website, respond to them. If one person is asking it, ten are probably thinking it. Look at your turnover and investigate the real reasons behind it.

resistant to change

Prosgood benefits, great company history

Consrefuse to accept best practices

Great benefits, poor management decisions

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Great Lakes Dredge & Dock full-time for more than a year

ProsGLDD has some very smart, hard working people working for the company. They aren't always put in a position to succeed or given the resources to accomplish a job, but there is a core group that genuinely works hard and achieves results. The benefits are outstanding and if you bring the right skill set to the table, GLDD could be a long term position.

ConsThe leadership has very little understanding of what is happening with the company outside of the actual dredging operations. Ancillary departments are left to run on their own without any real direction from upper management and there are no repercussions for poor performance. Nepotism is a huge problem within the company. Undeserving people are put in positions way beyond their ability level because of family ties or connections to the company. It is instantly clear that they are in over their heads and the work suffers and resentment grows. There is very little training in the company, as people are moved up in the company, they are not trained to run departments or handle management roles. In turn, you have some very weak department leaders. Company communications is the worst that I have ever seen in my career. More often than not, emails to department managers or to people who might be able to provide insight go unanswered and too many people sit behind closed office doors for days at a time.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a little more time looking into the support departments for the company. It is insulting to only find out about company information at a quarterly town hall meeting when we very hard and go unrecognized virtually every day. It is truly the haves and the have nots. Invest in some training for department managers. Simply promoting someone and telling them to go lead a group of people is going to fail every time, especially if they reported to a lousy manager and picked up nothing but bad habits. Take a hard look at the people you have working for you and see if they are the right fit for their jobs. There are way too many people that are just riding the GLDD gravy train and collecting a paycheck and (excellent) benefits.

Long hours in the middle of nowhere

Project Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Great Lakes Dredge & Dock full-time for more than a year

ProsInteresting work and work environment, better than a cube

ConsLong hours, poor diets, rampant alcoholism. This place is a creator of broken homes due to required time away from families.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't go 21 on & 10 off or 14 on and 7 off, do 14 on and 10 off. You're working such long hours sometimes it really doesn't feel balanced.

Great Company

Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at Great Lakes Dredge & Dock full-time for more than a year

ProsLeadership is hands-on
Great hours/salary/bonuses/401K/benefits
Extreme flexibility
Not hurting in the economy, company is booming

ConsMy job doesn't have much growth, but I didn't expect to be put in a manager role from the get-go.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing a great job! This is the happiest I have been with an employer.

Worked for Great Lakes Dredge & Dock? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Great Lakes Dredge & Dock reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Great Lakes Dredge & Dock CEO Jonathan W. Berger. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Great Lakes Dredge & Dock employees.