Great Lakes Higher Education

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Richard D. (Dick) George

Easy job, can be high stress, average pay

Borrower Services Representative (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsSo far great management, the branch manager and supervisors are all satisfactory. The job is easy. Benefits are great, weekends off, paid holidays, etc.

ConsSome calls can be high stress. Generally you'll get two calls a day where borrowers are cursing you out over the phones. Pay is good enough to keep me their for the time being but it could be better. $13.50 is JUST enough to keep me around, but not until I find something that pays more. Extensive background check to be hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementNEED MORE MANAGERS ANSWERING SUPERVISOR CALLS. I hate being in a 10 minute queue for a supervisor when i see some just standing around. Its not there fault its the way the system is set up but needs to be fixed asap.

A nice place to work.

Word Processing Supervisor (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsNice benefits. Good life/work balance. Adapts to the changing world of student loans. CEO: "Change Equals Opportunity."

ConsManagement doesn't always encourage personal career growth or personal development.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsManagement is supportive from the highest to mid levels. Training doesn't stop after the first two weeks as each department has a training supervisor and other supervisors assist in the continual development of staff. Department heads seem to have a good big-picture sense of the organization, as they'd rather see a good employee move to a different department than to a different company altogether. The Human Resources department is probably the most professional of any organization in my 18+ years' work history. Salaries are competitive, paid time off is generous and increases quickly with tenure, and they're one of the few companies that still offered a pension plan.

ConsIf you're in any of the customer service departments (Borrower Services, Repayment Solutions, etc.) the schedules are fairly rigid and tend toward second shift. The attendance policy is somewhat strict (but not unfair). Supervision tends toward micromanagement, but the goals for efficiency, effectiveness, and quality are attainable. Customer service departments are open on weekends, in some cases Sunday evenings.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider greater flexibility with the weekly schedule and a wider variety of shifts.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic Company to work for

Student Loan Counselor (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsGreat benefits, great leadership, great opportunities for promotion.

ConsThe job has the quality of being a bit more than what can be understood as relative to the idea that over reaches the penultimate course of action.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more intelligent moves.

It was a very job straining situation

Borrower Services Representative (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsThe people i worked with were great.

ConsWorking in a call center was not a great experience

Decent job, good people, and good pay

Borrower Services Representative (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsStarting pay is $13/hr which is pretty good for having no experience, co-workers are extremely nice, a lot of extra hours offered, you get a lot of privacy in your own cubicle. Have meetings one-on-one with manager once a week which is really nice and gets you motivated. Good benefits.

ConsBreaks are short- 15 min (besides lunch break). Also it can get overwhelming at times speaking with people on the phone who really don't want to talk to you in the first place

Advice to Senior ManagementLonger breaks

This Company Could Use Some Improvement

Borrower Services Representative (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsIt's a paycheck, but they do have okay benefits.

ConsIf you are looking to advance, look to another company. They tend to play favorites and unless you are the supervisor's pet or know somebody higher-up, it's difficult to get promoted. I worked there for 6 years, long enough to take advantage of the tuition reimbursement program and got a Bachelor Degree in Business Management. I left as soon as I graduated and now earn double what I did at GL!

Advice to Senior ManagementI gave them my advice when I left. I had 20 years management experience and a 4-year degree, so hopefully they paid attention.

The Most Miserable Experience of my Life

Marketing Writer (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsI stayed because I needed a job and the benefits are decent. But it will suck you dry and eat your core...

ConsGreat Lakes is essentially a call center, but even if you are a salaried, professional employee you are still treated with the same mindless micro-managing as they use for people on the phones. You can only take time off in four-hour chunks, so if you have to do something like go to the dentist, you lose a half day of vacation time. You have to track every minute of your time even if what you do isn't billed to anyone and advancement is slow and there is no room for creativity or new thinking. This is a company that caters to students but they don't even use social media!! They actually block social media sites on our work computer, even if you're in marketing!! They treat you like a child, the company is backwards and stuck in it's ways, and managers are miserable, small-minded tools. The only people who thrive there are miserable, small-minded people who can work the same old Great Lakes way.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think there's any hope for Great Lakes management. This company has a talent for promoting only the meanest and most petty people. The job makes you miserable, and only miserable people thrive there. I saw many happy people turned rotten and angry in my time there. If you try something new, managers act like you're the idiot for not "getting" ScholarNet or some other useless piece of old-fashioned and useless technology they use. Hopeless...

It's a job, that's about it

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsGood benifits. Pays well for what you do. Flexible hours and nice place to work if you are under good management.

ConsNot such a good place to work if you are under bad management (who seem to be untouchable). A lot of "who you know" or "who your friends with" or "who likes you" based promotions. Not really so much on if you are capable of doing the job, which is sad.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people, and not just to each other. Don't be so far removed that you have no idea of what is really going on with us average joes.

Great Lakes

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boscobel, WI

ProsGreat Lakes is a great place to work. The people there are very friendly and helpful. The training process is extremely thorough.

ConsWorking on the phones all day can get a bit repetitive and it sometimes a little boring. Outside activities are not allowed for the first 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think management needs any advice. They do a great job and most leads / supervisors are very competent.

Worked for Great Lakes Higher Education? Contribute to the Community!