Great West Casualty

Jim Jensen

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Great West Casualty full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, low turnover, care about employees, good work life balance

Cons

Politics, not many opportunities for advancement.

It's a good place to be from (meaning you're not there anymore)

Current Employee - Underwriter in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Boise, ID

I have been working at Great West Casualty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent starting pay. Out of the gates it seems like a dream opportunity. They train many of their people for the positions that they are hired for.

Cons

Lots of responsibility and no authority. We were told what we needed to accomplish and then couldn't get approval to do what we were told. Raises/bonuses were tied to loss ratio and loss ratio is based upon horrible over reserving. Two years after not getting a raise/bonus, you look like a king because the reserve is given back as the claim closes. Of course, looking like a king for work done 2 years ago doesn't do much for you THIS year.

Changing and not for the better

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Great West Casualty

Pros

Friendly coworkers, with decent pay and benefits

Cons

work loads are extremely heavy at times due to weather, claim staff is "on call" 24hrs a day/7 days a week. management does not acknowledge that additional help is needed to assist with this. Executives have a "not my problem" attitude.

acknowledge over load of employee work loads and hire accordingly

Great place to work if you want to maintain a good life / work balance.

Former Employee - Underwriter
    Former Employee - Underwriter

I worked at Great West Casualty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Promotes almost exclusively from within. Great place to work if you want to maintain a good life / work balance. Upper management is easy to talk to. Very solid job security.

Cons

Compensation isn't all that great. Every position has a "career ladder" that is intended to provide everyone with upward mobility, but in reality it handcuffs the managers as they can't promote top performers outside of the career ladder requirements. In order to advance into management or supervisory roles you need to have 10+ years MINIMUM with the company.

Good company, with some big negatives

Current Employee - Finance in South Sioux City, NE
    Current Employee - Finance in South Sioux City, NE

I have been working at Great West Casualty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company tries to do what is right for the employees, but their parent Old Republic Int'l is another matter and management seems to always go along with the parent without much argument.

Cons

Good initial wage, but then low wage increases and benefit cuts are initiated by the parent company cause it to deteriorate. HR thinks that wages don't mean much, they would rather spend money and events and celebrations. There is no reward for extra effort and hours of work. Different groups of employees are treated very differently.

In my area there is no real promotion from within. The top jobs all go to people who have been there for decades, but now when there is a rare opening, the first place they look is outside the company.

Advanced training has nothing to do with my job and wastes time and money.

Start standing up to the cheap decisions made by Old Republic. Quit taking surveys and telling people they mean something and then only paying lip service to the results. Then they wonder why the results aren't what they expected.

Excellent company to work for.

Current Employee - Office Claims Processor in South Sioux City, NE
    Current Employee - Office Claims Processor in South Sioux City, NE

I have been working at Great West Casualty full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable company with good contingency plans. Many employees have been there 20+ years. For the most part, you feel like you're a part of a family. On-the-job training is unbeatable. They really take the time to make sure you know what you're doing & feel comfortable doing it. Then they have free training programs for other aspects of the business & will actually pay for you to take insurance courses if you choose to.

Cons

Politics - it took a few years for me to really notice it, but it's there, just as it is at every other company. Employees in certain departments really have to watch their step. Salary is probably normal for the area, but my department isn't paid enough.

Make sure managers know the difference between micromanaging & guiding their employees. No one wants every move to be monitored - it's a waste of time to do that to employees & it makes employees less productive. If you hire managers who know how to motivate & encourage, the numbers will get better on their own. It feels like upper management doesn't really know what's going on "down in the trenches."

I still have a job which is nice

Current Employee - Corporate Pilot
    Current Employee - Corporate Pilot

I have been working at Great West Casualty

Pros

Considering the state of the profession and the future of aviation in this country. At least we have jobs.

Cons

Pay , advancement,credit for doing a good jod, respect of other departments who are envious and see pilots as overpaid taxi drivers.

They have no intention to drag the company into the modern age. This is the probuct of Old Republic who own us.