Great-West Lifeco
www.greatwestlifeco.com Winnipeg, Canada 5000+ Employees

Great-West Lifeco Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great-West Lifeco President and CEO; President and CEO, Great-West Life Assurance, London Life Assurance, and Canada Life Assurance D. Allen Loney

D. Allen Loney

Gives good money

I have been working at Great-West Lifeco full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility, not much do's and dont's

Conscontract position initially with truncated benefits; poor training; poor communication processes; It seems management does not value the employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTop management must ensure that employee get proper communication.... about health facilities; vacation; sick leaves; How best to use them; Options about taking leave. It seems they do not expect employees to stick for long time. I do not feel I am a part of the company.

:Great place to work!

Associate Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Great-West Lifeco full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat People
Thorough Methodology
The benefits are fantastic
Gym + Cafeteria are both really great
Unique set-up for advancement and job rotation

ConsNone that come to mind to be honest. I'm very satisfied working here! It's all project work, so if you're on a project that isn't your favourite, you'll have something new in a few months so it's not a big deal!

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

overall was ok. Don't plan to stay long

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Great-West Lifeco

Prosflexible work atmosphere
good place to make connections
employee perk's are good

ConsPoor leadership. Especially from head office
Very poor hiring practices.
Head office corporate culture treats the field reps like trash. Don't get loyal, your just a monkey

Advice to Senior Managementthe new corporate culture is counter productive. Your splitting perfectly competent people from each other and severing the essential characteristic to success, collaboration. Your sales teams are going to solely concentrate on only their needs and not share any sales information or successes. It's a good thing this management team has no say in developing military teams or we'd all be screwed.

Was good in the past not any more

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Great-West Lifeco

ProsFor Developers there really aren't any these days. They trap you in a job role that suits them and leaves you there indefinitely. The have Personal Development plans, which they completely ignore. They destroy your career, to where even if you wanted to leave you can't because you no longer have the skills the industry wants.

The pay can be pretty good at certain points. The problem is you just get stuck in certain levels for years at a time. They won't give you a list of what you need to do to move up. They just base it on time. Keep doing what you are doing and wait, and wait.

ConsThe place has too many managers, and what is worse most of them are very bad at it. The company is choked with process. Roles are not properly defined. This provides a lot of confusion and friction. The Project Managers are paper pushers, that couldn't care a less about any of the people and will put them on death marches to get their bonuses. They talk a lot about advancement and opportunities, but it's all a smoke screen.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry thinking of your staff for a change. Stop treating the company like a giant science experiment where the staff are collateral damage, all so you can look good and be promoted further. When staff tell you something you may not like, don't single them out as troublemakers and make examples of them. Try listening for a change. Imagine if your kids were working there and being cast aside the way you so readily cast your staff aside. How would you feel about that?

It is just a regular job. I don't consider it as career.

CSS (Former Employee)

I worked at Great-West Lifeco

ProsI think you will get better benefits as it is the insurance company and also the partners of other insurance companies.

ConsIt doesn't care about employees as other companies do. It doesn't care about environment. The company isn't as developed as other big insurance companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about employees and environment.

Worked for Great-West Lifeco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Great-West Lifeco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Great-West Lifeco CEO D. Allen Loney. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Great-West Lifeco employees.