Great Western Bancorporation

Ken Karels

Long-term Employee

Corporate (Current Employee) Sioux Falls, SD

ProsCommunity Bank Culture
    Team pulls together - everyone works hard

ConsLots to do! Busy! (Can be a Pro, too!)

Advice to Senior ManagementStay real!

Good.

Teller (Current Employee) Lincoln, NE

ProsGood job, good employees and customers. Fun environment. Nice place to learn an office setting. Really a good job and environment.

ConsI don't really have a con. Maybe grumpy customers and really busy days. Busy days where you don't have a second to breath.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job.

Terrible management. They are too young and not experienced to in management.

Operations (Current Employee) Sioux Falls, SD

ProsIf you are young and want to move up quickly, you can here. You just need to wait a few months and everybody above you will quit.

ConsManagement is disparaging to women, if you are successful watch you back. Integrity, hard work, is not rewarded. rumors and backstabbing will get bankers fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe bank needs to be sold, for the sake of the current staff. There are some great people being worked to the bone. Its unfortunate that they do not have a leader that can step forward.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Churn and burn

Banker (Former Employee)

ProsStrong parent company who is well capitalized
    Significant PTO

ConsThe bank presents themselves as a "community bank" however treats their employees poorly and are losing long term employees on a regular basis. Technology is outdated. They have a lean staffing model which results in burning out the good employees. Corporate management doesn't seem to care about the front line employees. Unrealistic growth goals based on their presence in some markets. Very limited room for professional growth in some markets.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the bank to another company that cares and wants to invest in their people and markets outside of their legacy markets.

Disfunctional

Corporate Employee (Former Employee) Sioux Falls, SD

ProsEasy to move to mid level manager if your smart and hard working.

ConsPolitical, inconsistent. No direction and lots of turnover. Almost all the VPs are under 40 because anyone with sense leaves the company. Executive team is inexperienced at best and unethical at worst.

Great Company to work for

Proshours are great, upper managment is fantastic, branch managers who care, competitive pay and GREAT pto plan!!!

Consnothing, this company is fantastic to work for. I love it.

Not as Advertised

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Western Bank is a bank that offers many services like most banks. It is owned by a Australian Conglomerate which means they are wanting to grow and offer the big offerings like bigger banks do.

ConsThey go by how many products you get a customer to sign up for which isn't right. If the customer is interested they will let you know. It got to be sufficating for the employee as well as the person that you are helping because they wanted you to offer in every occurance with a customer something....good way to loose business to bug. And they said not to be pushy but just asking a question was.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomers that come into the bank don't want to be pushed with a product they are just yearning for great customer service.

Great Company to Start your career

Business Banking (Current Employee) Sioux Falls, SD

ProsThey give many opportunities to young talent. This is great for young professionals and a way for the bank to keep costs down.

ConsCut, cut, cut. It seems like the solution is always cut more instead of trying ways to sell more. Run on a very lean staff. The vision constantly changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems as though decisions are always made on a short term focus. Long term commitment to resources and growth would engage your employees more.

Terrible management and teamwork.

Lead Teller (Former Employee) Spearfish, SD

ProsSalary was comparable to other banks.

ConsTeamwork is basically nonexistent. This is due to how employees are ranked at the end of the year, by how many products they have sold to people. No matter how hard you work to surpass your goals, there is always someone ready to stab you in the back. Insurance is very expensive, especially if you have a family!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure managers are actually qualified for their position, look especially at the Spearfish branch. Right now it is a complete nightmare.

Good place to start a banking career, but plan on moving up elsewhere

Lead Teller (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsThe branches can feel like a family.

ConsThe company would rather hire externally than to move up internal appliants. The insurance is higher than what you would expect in a large corporation.

Worked for Great Western Bancorporation? Contribute to the Community!