Great Western Bancorporation

Add Photos

Ken Karels

Great Company to work for

I have been working at Great Western Bancorporation

Proshours are great, upper managment is fantastic, branch managers who care, competitive pay and GREAT pto plan!!!

Consnothing, this company is fantastic to work for. I love it.

Not as Advertised

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Great Western Bancorporation

ProsGreat Western Bank is a bank that offers many services like most banks. It is owned by a Australian Conglomerate which means they are wanting to grow and offer the big offerings like bigger banks do.

ConsThey go by how many products you get a customer to sign up for which isn't right. If the customer is interested they will let you know. It got to be sufficating for the employee as well as the person that you are helping because they wanted you to offer in every occurance with a customer something....good way to loose business to bug. And they said not to be pushy but just asking a question was.

Advice to Senior ManagementCustomers that come into the bank don't want to be pushed with a product they are just yearning for great customer service.

Inconsistency in decision making

Corporate Employee (Current Employee)
Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Great Western Bancorporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA lot of turnover creates upward movement potential.

ConsYou can get fired as quickly as you move up. Senior management is insecure, inexperienced, and inconsistent in their decision making processes. Culture is dog - eat - dog in the corporate world so be ready to get your hands dirty if you want to move up.

Be wary going to GWB. The bank seems to be for sale.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop rewarding people who pull others down to get ahead.

Great Company to Start your career

Business Banking (Current Employee)
Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Great Western Bancorporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey give many opportunities to young talent. This is great for young professionals and a way for the bank to keep costs down.

ConsCut, cut, cut. It seems like the solution is always cut more instead of trying ways to sell more. Run on a very lean staff. The vision constantly changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems as though decisions are always made on a short term focus. Long term commitment to resources and growth would engage your employees more.

Terrible management and teamwork.

Lead Teller (Former Employee)
Spearfish, SD

I worked at Great Western Bancorporation full-time for less than a year

ProsSalary was comparable to other banks.

ConsTeamwork is basically nonexistent. This is due to how employees are ranked at the end of the year, by how many products they have sold to people. No matter how hard you work to surpass your goals, there is always someone ready to stab you in the back. Insurance is very expensive, especially if you have a family!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure managers are actually qualified for their position, look especially at the Spearfish branch. Right now it is a complete nightmare.

Good place to start a banking career, but plan on moving up elsewhere

Lead Teller (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE

ProsThe branches can feel like a family.

ConsThe company would rather hire externally than to move up internal appliants. The insurance is higher than what you would expect in a large corporation.

A great company to work for as a mortgage loan officer.

Mortgage Loan Originator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Great Western Bancorporation full-time for more than a year

ProsAutonomy, great location, tight knit department. The mortgage department is big enough to get things done and small enough that everyone knows each other. Low fees and low rates make the selling process easier. 401K match and annual generous profit sharing.

ConsCommission pay scale is good for a retail bank but on the lower end of mortgage banking. However this can be overcome with volume. Health benefits are expensive and only a 80/20 plan is offered but that seems to be the norm now a days.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've made tremendous progress on the mortgage operation sides. MLOs could benefit from greater price control flexibility.

Not As Advertised...

Branch Manager (Former Employee)
Omaha, NE

I worked at Great Western Bancorporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Western Bank sells itself as a community bank. However the truth is that it is owned by an Australian Conglomerate. So, it is definitely an organization that is set for growth. If you are young and dumb, there is a lot of opportunity for you.

ConsAlthough there are opportunities for career growth, the pay is less than stellar. In fact a "salary survey" was completed by an company and the data was used to reduce employees salaries (even some long tenured). That doesn't sound like "small town" business to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou claim to have a open door policy. Well, be true to that policy from the top to the bottom of the organization. Also, don't make every decision based on profitability. Finally, treat people like people.

Worst career move I ever made.

Operations (Former Employee)

I worked at Great Western Bancorporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBank is well-funded by its parent bank. Pay is competitive.

ConsVery little cooperation between departments. It takes multiple attempts to get a response to emails or phone calls. There is very little accountability, leaving employees to do as they please or ignore rules they don't agree with. Management is willing to ignore regulations they feel are too burdensome in the name of "customer service". Management is very short-sighted, believing customers are just not interested in products such as Internet or mobile banking. And there is no opportunity for career advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more promoting from within the organization. Management should spend time developing modern products and listening to customer comments. Additionally, management should consider replacing older members with people with more experience in the modern banking environment.

Great Western Bank is poorly managed and employees lack the skills and experience to be relevant in commercial lending.

Business Banker (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Great Western Bancorporation

ProsGWB is a healthy bank since it's parent company is National Australian Bank, so you do not have to fear the bank failing.

ConsGWB is too conservative of a bank to win any coveted business relationships and their credit review group lacks autonomy to make quick decisons within their markets.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would take the time to actually listen to employees and managers in the trenches of the organization on how the bank can be more responsive and create a better working environment.

Worked for Great Western Bancorporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Great Western Bancorporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Great Western Bancorporation CEO Ken Karels. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Great Western Bancorporation employees.