Great Wolf
www.greatwolfresorts.com Madison, WI 1000 to 5000 Employees

Great Wolf Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014
Great Wolf – Scotrun – “Great Wolf Lodge Waterpark Pic”

Great Wolf President and COO Kim Schaefer

Kim Schaefer

Love working here, but poverty wages.

Traverse City, MI

ProsFun. Awesome coworkers. Great management. Flexible hours.

ConsPoverty wages. I can't even afford an apartment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees (especially full time employees) a living wage.

Awful

Lifeguard, Then Retail (Former Employee)
    Grand Mound, WA

ProsThe pay was pretty good for a minimum wage job, Good starter job, Fairly easy jobs, Easy to move around in the company

ConsThe management was just plain awful, Supervisors always picked favorites, Schedules were not always out on time, Everyone was always in a bad mood, And it was just not a fun work environment.

Unfair stressful work environment

Call Center Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Madison, WI

ProsWolf theme, team environment, get to know your colleagues, ability to get to move into email correspondence after a while if you are special.

ConsThere is a lot of favoritism hands down. The management picks on some and salutes others. A lot of sitting for prolonged hours. Glued to a headset all day. Voice gets tired of talking after a while. No food at desk.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fairer in your decisions and at least give seniority to those who deserve it instead of who you like.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dont work here

Call Center Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Madison, WI

Proswolf theme is cute but thats about it

Consfavorites, strictness, non flexible hours, bad pay

Ultimately a let down

Scotrun, PA

ProsGreat and supportive co-workers. If I ever had a question or a concern, a fellow desk agent would be more than happy to jump in and help me. Particularly helpful when dealing with aggressive guests.

ConsIncompetent management. Complete breakdown of communication: from department to department, from managers to supervisors to desk staff; even agreement between the managers themselves was hard to come by. Three agents could ask the one manager the same question and get three different answers. Very few SOPs in place, 'proper' procedures varied from day to day without being well communicated. Managers rarely available for help during rush times, often in 'closed door' meetings for extended periods. Very cliquey, opportunities for advancement were bestowed upon only a select few. Hours were extremely inconsistent-- agents would be scheduled for eight hour shifts only to be cut after three or four hours of work. This would happen several times a week. Schedules would also vary from week to week, making it difficult to look for or accept a second job. Commissions were never paid for package sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor a location that focuses so hard on reducing its employee turnover rates, they do not make it easy to consider Great Wolf in the long term

It was a good place to work while I was in school.

Server (Current Employee)
    Mason, OH

ProsFriendly environment, good tips, good hours.

ConsIf the hotel wasn't booked then there wasn't much money to be made.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Have A Great Wolf Day

Food and Beverage (Current Employee)
    Tannersville, PA

ProsSome... and I mean SOME of the people you work with end up becoming very good friends, you spend more time with them then you do your family. In some aspects they become your family.

The benefits are good, definitely worth it after your 90 days.

ConsGreat wolf is a revolving door, You get to know a new employees name and then they're magically gone.

There is no place for advancement in this company, you could be there for five years and be working the same station. Then their are people who have been there for six months and get promoted or a "new Job title" every few weeks. Seems that Options are only open to certain people.

The appreciation of employees is highly under par. especially if you work in the kitchen. The Kitchen Staff cooks for all in house activities. So it feels as if the hotel employees are getting praised but there are employees left out because they're in the back busting their butts to cook for the entire rest of the hotel and the employees. When will F&B get appreciated for being the behind the scenes heros!

Anytime Corporate is in house. They have special BEO's or Ammenties that await them in their rooms. But I think that corporate should see the things that are going wrong. I'm not saying let your company go to pot, but if you see your foods cold, maybe its because we need a new hot well or heat lamp. Find the things wrong instead of wanting to be wooed.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement, Realize that you have the employees that will do the hard work for you, and Work six days a week or 16 hour days, but yet you continue to knock them down, time and time again. Its no longer fair to keep putting us through the ringer and having no out come. I Want to be appreciated and haven't in all my time been appreciated.

"Great Wolf Logic"... it's not a good thing.

Call Center Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Madison, WI

ProsIt's a good job to get your foot in the door when you are re-entering the job force. The people you work with are fun, but don't expect them to be there long. Kim is a fun CEO, and she is engaged with the employees who do all the grunt work.

ConsThere is room for growth within your position, but no room for advancement out of the position. Your responsibilities will increase as they trust you to do more, but your pay will remain as if you just began working there. You are expendable. A lot of money is spent on training new employees due to incredibly high attrition, instead of going in to keeping employees who take the most effective role and who benefit the company.

There is also a pervasive air of favoritism, but don't let that fool you too much, you will be ignored no matter what. Management may say that guest service is key, but take it with a grain of salt, you are graded based upon your performance, which is highly dependent on which calls you receive, which is in itself an independent variable.

You are hired as a "travel planner." You are told to provide great customer service. Don't pay attention to those lines, you are a sales agent. You are there to make money for the company, just don't expect much compensation.

The job is incredibly high-stress, and when your breaks are planned down to the minute, there is little wiggle room to take a breath to recover from a tough call (in most cases, a series of tough calls). Suck it up and keep going, there is nothing you can do.

Scheduling is inefficient. You are hired for 40 hours, you will usually work 32. They are overstaffed when it's slow and understaffed when it's busy, and always over budget.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to make employees want to stay. Stop burning so much money on training new agents, half of which won't make it to the floor, and start putting it into agents who consistently do well and could have a future with the company.

Was decent until the end.

Sales Team - Call Center (Former Employee)
    Madison, WI

ProsThey work as hard as they can to promote a good work culture, great opportunities to receive bonuses and they promote internal promotions. The line managers who are closest to employees have a great degree of respect and tolerance of their subordinates and were great to have as my supervisor.

ConsUnequal enforcement of company rules, backstabbing higher up in the business, high turnover, un-enjoyable work environment, emphasis is heavy on results and almost never on people, in at atmosphere where you deal with hurtful people almost your entire shift, it would be nice if someone cared about us rather than our sales. I could go on but the real kicker is the unequal enforcement. I've seen people get fired for a one time offense, and others who do the same thing have it brushed under the rug all as upper management sees fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnforce your rules equally and put people first. If you put your people first they would work harder for you. That's why your turnover is astronomic, because you care about us going in, during training and afterward we're off your radar.

GSA at GWL

Concord, NC

ProsFun to work, good incentives to boost mediocre hourly wage, excellent perks like heavily discounted stays and free water park access.

ConsAlthough most upper management are competent and will try their best to work with you, some supervisors and "managers" (not directors) like to pick favorites and if you're not one of them, watch out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job for the most part, work on fairness at the lower levels and it will be an all around great place to work.

Worked for Great Wolf? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Great Wolf reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Great Wolf CEO Kim Schaefer. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Great Wolf employees.