Greatbatch

Be The First To
Add Photos

Greatbatch President and CEO Thomas J. Hook

Thomas J. Hook

YOU CAN GO FAR, IF YOU WANT TO KISS BUTT!!!!!

Production (Former Employee)
    Buffalo, NY

ProsGREAT BENEFITS, GREAT WORK ENVIRONMENT, GREAT EMPLOYEES TO WORK WITH,ON THE PRODUCTION FLOOR. EMPLOYEE RECOGNITION IS GREAT. ALSO PROFIT SHARE AND WILL PAY FOR
    SCHOOL.

ConsMANAGEMENT SUCK!!!! IF YOU DON"T KISS BUTT'S !!! THEY WILL NOT PROMOTE YOU!!!!!!
    There a whole lot of, NEPOTISM going on in that company. they have lost a,whole lot of good employees
    because of that fact.

Advice to Senior ManagementFIRE!!!! Them all !!!! and start over again! Start with the floor supervisors!!!!!, then work or, way up!!!

Great people/product, no so great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHard-working employees who make quality products, fantastic co-workers

ConsOverworked, lack of resources, high turnover, unnecessary hiring which leads to unnecessary lay offs, questionable morals (including employees laid off while on maternity leave), unorganized

Advice to Senior ManagementPay production employees more- they're doing all the hard work; doesn't look good when executive pay goes up and everyone else is told there is a small or no amount of an increase

Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTreated employees well
    Great company to work for

ConsDont know any cons of working here

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

ProsChallenging, lots of opportunities, growing

ConsNone overall that I can think of

Good experience

Intern (Former Employee)
    Clarence, NY

Pros- Friendly people
    - People always willing to help eachother

Cons- Office moral was sometimes very low - Directed toward company

Excellent work environment

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Clarence, NY

ProsGreat work life balance, opportunity for advancement

ConsLack of corporate direction at times

Greatbatch Barton RD Clarence, NY

Not A Modelmaker, Or In the Modelshop (Former Employee)
    Clarence, NY

ProsVacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time

ConsPeople that will be nasty if they feel threatened by your knowledge, ideas, pay you may be getting (until your supervisor assures them otherwise). private club-like shop, that if you are not allowed to join, will "haze" you into submission, or an altercation. Trust NOBODY. Do not confide personal issues with your supervisor. You will notice others acting on your "secret". Making friends is rare, so if you are like I was, don`t talk, do your work. If they are talking football, do not chime in, or "You know everything about football". If you see a stupid method, definitely shut your mouth, and you`ll be OK. It is an atmosphere of nasty. Ever heard of a boss calculating how much more time you took on a job than "so and so", who`s been running it for 15 years? I cannot believe I put up with it for so long. Truth be told, but after a few paid the price, I`ll bet it`s a great shop to start in. As of now.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the "management", that is not "managing". You can double your output if you try new idea or two. But what the hey? Management changes like the weather at Greatbatch Medical. So in reality, the "in crowd" of long timers run the place. I realize now that a first year HR person, has no power over a 30 year employee. What was I thinking?

confusing place to work

Prosclean, comfortable workplace. state of the art CNC machines, good climate control, excellent common areas with games and wide variety of vending machines.

Consno communication or feedback to employees. One always feels as if they are being watched and your every word hyper-analyzed.

Kindness is Weakness. Let us pile on.

Machinist (Current Employee)
    Clarence, NY

ProsFree food once in a while. Coffee cups, t-shirts. Vacation time.
    Work/Life balance? It is a holiday weekend, and I am consumed typing this about my job. That`s NOT good, right?

ConsPutting up with constant harassment to the point of being embarrassed for the people trying to make you look bad. Alligator skin is a must. Thick skinned people cannot survive. Concerted efforts from a group of people that are threatened by different ideas, maybe not always better, just different. Cliques of people join forces to make you look inadequate, apparently to re-enforce their lack of imagination, and willingness to try/learn something that they have never read in a book. I have learned some helpful things there. They have not. Mostly because they will put you in a state of fear, that your suggestion will make them look like they are short on knowledge. Literally removing tools/methods that I have used for 20+ years, so it can never be done a different way. Yet, your raises depend on submitting ideas. If you submit an idea, you are labeled a "Know it all."
    I admit ignorance, that such an atmosphere could ever exist, and that some management takes part, and enjoys the side show. If you wait to stand up for yourself, especially after being physically threatened, I think the next step is going to be being labeled "Hard to get along with", or "Unable to take suggestions", or maybe even afraid to be around you.
    The worst part of it. They succeeded! I don`t know if I can do my job anymore. Not even the same job I had done dozens of times before. I see another reviewer really has worked there. They now will know who wrote this, and to the creators of my sleepless nights, and brand new nervous anxiety, I want to say "I apologize". I apologize for not putting them in their place my first week there. Also, to my boss. Who treated me great for the first month or two, until my looking over my shoulder pre-occupation, destroyed my confidence, and concentration to the point of my work suffering. Thus forcing him to join in on the "fun". (at times)
    The real slap in the face, is how good they either were forced, or decided to treat a newer hire. Hey, maybe I don`t know what I`m doing. It took 20+ years, and Greatbatch to find out. All the others must have just liked me, and kept me around though I was not skilled.
    P.S. It is NOT Greatbatch. It is HR not doing anything, and SOME co-workers, and SOME upper management. Imagine passing 4 or 5 , 4 yr.co-worker in the cafeteria, saying hello the first 2 or 3 times, never getting a response, and never even learning their name? If you can...Welcome to Greatbatch Medical. Best of luck.
    Can I be sued for telling the truth? I really don`t know. After all, it is true.
    I am told, Mr. Wilson Greatbatch would be sickened by how I, and others have been treated.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo through your HR complaints, same person? Over 5 times? Same reasons?....Clean house.

Amazing internship experience

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
    Clarence, NY

ProsThey treat their interns as well as they treat their employees. I always felt like part of the company and they always tried to integrate me into as many projects as possible. Overall great experience.

ConsHaving an internship does not solidify your chance of getting a full-time job, but the experience that you gain during the program should help.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to push the interns and test their boundaries. The program should make them leave their comfort zone since there won't be many other opportunities to fail in the future.

Worked for Greatbatch? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Greatbatch reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Greatbatch CEO Thomas J. Hook. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Greatbatch employees.