Greatbatch Reviews

Reset
3.1
Greatbatch President and CEO Thomas J. Hook
Thomas J. Hook

Dysfunctional organization with a very high employee turnover

Former Employee - Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Greatbatch full-time

Pros

Not much. Greatbatch is an American based company with domestic manufacturing. Their core strength is the pacemaker business and they have woefully tried to diversify themsleves from it.

Cons

Greatbatch is driven by an executive team which is focused on maximizing their compensation by disregarding the impact their decisions will have on their customers and employees. Their organization is a conglomeration of dissaparate entities which function poorly together. They close factories without any consideration of the implications it will have on their customers or employess for the sole sake of improving the bottom line. Their quality and delivery are suspect. Their management and sales team turnover is excessive due to poor leadership and short sighted behavior. Working here is a nightmarish scenario you should steer clear of.

Advice to Management

Seek guidance from your customers and employees instead of making decisions in a vacuum based solely on financial considerations. Focus on your core competency and stop the diversification strategy.

Once a good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarence, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarence, NY

I have been working at Greatbatch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is OK, but not great. People newer than you have it worse off. Vacation time, personal time is good.(That`s twenty words minimum)

Cons

Hostile environment with people that have been there so long they run the place. If one of them sees you as weak, they`ll get as many as possible on board to make your existence miserable. I realize, lesser skilled people will do this, but when the supervisor jumps on the bandwagon, you can count on being miserable. Back when we were privately owned, it was great. College boys stuffing their pockets has a great influence, I imagine. Ditto what the other reviewer had to say about the "bottom line", and listening to employees.

Advice to Management

What management? Management is non-existent. They just hold meetings, and dream up new contests to win tickets to sporting events, or make you earn your so-called health insurance.

Kindness is Weakness. Let us pile on.

Current Employee - Machinist in Clarence, NY
    Current Employee - Machinist in Clarence, NY

I have been working at Greatbatch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free food once in a while. Coffee cups, t-shirts. Vacation time. Work/Life balance? It is a holiday weekend, and I am consumed typing this about my job. That`s NOT good, right?

Cons

Putting up with constant harassment to the point of being embarrassed for the people trying to make you look bad. Alligator skin is a must. Thick skinned people cannot survive. Concerted efforts from a group of people that are threatened by different ideas, maybe not always better, just different. Cliques of people join forces to make you look inadequate, apparently to re-enforce their lack of imagination, and willingness to try/learn something that they have never read in a book. I have learned some helpful things there. They have not. Mostly because they will put you in a state of fear, that your suggestion will make them look like they are short on knowledge. Literally removing tools/methods that I have used for 20+ years, so it can never be done a different way. Yet, your raises depend on submitting ideas. If you submit an idea, you are labeled a "Know it all." I admit ignorance, that such an atmosphere could ever exist, and that some management takes part, and enjoys the side show. If you wait to stand up for yourself, especially after being physically threatened, I think the next step is going to be being labeled "Hard to get along with", or "Unable to take suggestions", or maybe even afraid to be around you. The worst part of it. They succeeded! I don`t know if I can do my job anymore. Not even the same job I had done dozens of times before. I see another reviewer really has worked there. They now will know who wrote this, and to the creators of my sleepless nights, and brand new nervous anxiety, I want to say "I apologize". I apologize for not putting them in their place my first week there. Also, to my boss. Who treated me great for the first month or two, until my looking over my shoulder pre-occupation, destroyed my confidence, and concentration to the point of my work suffering. Thus forcing him to join in on the "fun". (at times) The real slap in the face, is how good they either were forced, or decided to treat a newer hire. Hey, maybe I don`t know what I`m doing. It took 20+ years, and Greatbatch to find out. All the others must have just liked me, and kept me around though I was not skilled. P.S. It is NOT Greatbatch. It is HR not doing anything, and SOME co-workers, and SOME upper management. Imagine passing 4 or 5 , 4 yr.co-worker in the cafeteria, saying hello the first 2 or 3 times, never getting a response, and never even learning their name? If you can...Welcome to Greatbatch Medical. Best of luck. Can I be sued for telling the truth? I really don`t know. After all, it is true. I am told, Mr. Wilson Greatbatch would be sickened by how I, and others have been treated.

Advice to Management

Go through your HR complaints, same person? Over 5 times? Same reasons?....Clean house.

5. Greatbatch Barton RD Clarence, NY

Former Employee - Not A Modelmaker, Or In the Modelshop in Clarence, NY
    Former Employee - Not A Modelmaker, Or In the Modelshop in Clarence, NY

I worked at Greatbatch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time

Cons

People that will be nasty if they feel threatened by your knowledge, ideas, pay you may be getting (until your supervisor assures them otherwise). private club-like shop, that if you are not allowed to join, will "haze" you into submission, or an altercation. Trust NOBODY. Do not confide personal issues with your supervisor. You will notice others acting on your "secret". Making friends is rare, so if you are like I was, don`t talk, do your work. If they are talking football, do not chime in, or "You know everything about football". If you see a stupid method, definitely shut your mouth, and you`ll be OK. It is an atmosphere of nasty. Ever heard of a boss calculating how much more time you took on a job than "so and so", who`s been running it for 15 years? I cannot believe I put up with it for so long. Truth be told, but after a few paid the price, I`ll bet it`s a great shop to start in. As of now.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the "management", that is not "managing". You can double your output if you try new idea or two. But what the hey? Management changes like the weather at Greatbatch Medical. So in reality, the "in crowd" of long timers run the place. I realize now that a first year HR person, has no power over a 30 year employee. What was I thinking?

Had to put one star rating at least.

Current Employee - "Associate" in Clarence, NY
    Current Employee - "Associate" in Clarence, NY

I have been working at Greatbatch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pros of working at greatbath medical barton rd. are: if you don't have to work weekends, you only need to be there 5 days a week. Honestly though, the vacation time is fantastic. (Partially because you're not around most of those people)

Cons

Raises partially depend on their "spider" system of submitting ideas. If you're not one of the "in crowd", your idea will not be accepted until someone else submits it. At least someone will get a raise. Even the highest paid machinists, are ragged on, and overworked. Unless you've been there 15+ years. Average age of machinery? 2 brand new swiss machines, rest are 10-20 years old. Try running 3 of those at once, with worn spindles and guides. While the boss and his butt kissers look on and chuckle from a distance. Hostile atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Look over HR complaints, and get rid of all the supervisors involved.

Do yourself a favor and don't come in.

Current Employee - Production in Alden, NY
    Current Employee - Production in Alden, NY

I have been working at Greatbatch

Pros

2 weeks off for plant shutdown (july & december). Knowing your saving peoples lives.

Cons

Health insurance w/ high deductable. The pay. Not sticking to companies code of ethics.

Advice to Management

People constantly getting harassed and bullied by team leads and/or veterens and supervisors do nothing about it. Supervisor treat the ones that get bullied and/or harassed as if they are in the wrong. Plant managers and supervisors preach the companies code of ethics at communication meetings but don't live by them. Very hard to talk to HR without the whole plant finding out. They need an advocacy line for HR so things stay private. Very hard to move up. People always wanted to know your business. If you dont "let them in" they automatically hate you and say things behind your back. Its like being in high school but with adults ages 20-67. The work is great. The pay and people are bad. Now there are only a few people that are nice where I work but everyone else are not so nice.

8. Be Carelfull not hurt anybodies feelings. Soap opera stars evryplace.

Former Employee - Molding Supervisor in Clarence, NY
    Former Employee - Molding Supervisor in Clarence, NY

I worked at Greatbatch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay. Benefits. Vacation. Short drive. Own boss.

Cons

Supervising unskilled drama queens, that know someone, do not have to do a good job and are only at work to talk about their soap opera lives. They would be better off on the Opera show, talking about how mean there boss is. It is ok to cut people down if my boss and his buddies in the shop are ttrying to get rid of someone, but if I tell them they are doing a bad job, I get taken to HR. Mixed up. Don't need them.

Advice to Management

Get rid of idiots. Back up your managers. Hire people with a brain.

Apr 14, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review and for your service with Greatbatch. We are doing our best in Greatbatch to ensure strong leadership and organizational development initiatives are a focus now and in the ... More

9. bad and more bad

Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Raynham, MA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Raynham, MA

I worked at Greatbatch

Pros

no pros to working their just drama.....

Cons

management has no clue'!! they really don't follow the ethics that have been set for the work place, management treats the people like trash! talks to workers like they are nothing" then gives points what are 5yrs old...the whole place is a con don't do it.

Advice to Management

here's my advice to management "change all of them"!! management could careless about the employees, only $ and numbers matter to them.

Great potential but questionable leadership

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Plymouth, MN

I worked at Greatbatch full-time

Pros

Great people. Lots of talent, interesting product portfolio, place for advancement

Cons

Lost leadership, gross negligence on policies and procedures, lack of emphasis on following quality fundamentals, management short sightedness on meeting results and time lines but without meeting risk imperatives.

Advice to Management

Emphasize to meet the behavior for what you say and align what you say to the behavior.

Jun 9, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you very much for your assessment. We will review this feedback with our leadership teams. We wish you the best in your new endeavors.

11. This is the worst company

I worked at Greatbatch

Pros

There is non, and the company is the worst of all! CEO just try to cash out as much money as possible. Middle management are stupid.

Cons

Management are so dumb, it's not even funny! CEO Tom Hook is a fraud, he just try to get as much money as possible.

Advice to Management

go to hell!

Jul 15, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review. It is disappointing that your experience with Greatbatch was so negative. It is important to us that all Associates feel valued and engaged in our goals and mission. We ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed