Greatbatch Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014

2.6

Greatbatch President and CEO Thomas J. Hook
Thomas J. Hook

Was great for my first 13 years...then new ceo and I feel things have tanked.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Clarence, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Clarence, NY

I have been working at Greatbatch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Vacation ,some benefits, college paid for

Cons

The people make it hard for you.esp the women. Lots of drama at barton ,alden, wherle. gossip mongers.jealousy runs rampant.back stabbers in molding and machine shop and dry rooms and super dry rooms.

Bring ed voboril and larry deangelo back! Everything changed since they were pushed out.

A company that lost its soul

I worked at Greatbatch full-time

Pros

The longer termed people were excellent, but they were becoming far and few between. When I was there the company was in acquisition mode, which was nice.

Cons

Executive leadership became very disengaged from the rank-and-file. The company went from the kind of place where you could high-five the CEO in the hallway to not being allowed in the executive suite because you were not the right class. It went from a company that treated everyone the same to a class-based system.

Have less emphasis on MBA's, try to engage everyone

What did I land into!

I worked at Greatbatch full-time for more than a year

Pros

If the subject interests you and you like the winter snow...you have made a good choice.

Cons

Limpid leadership, very close vested information, no growth for a third tier employee, not open to feedback, wasteful in managing public money (it is a public company).

Open information, qualifying people for career growth and justifying spending would be step in the right direction

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ego, overpaid consultants, and outsourcing

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Blaine, MN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Blaine, MN

I worked at Greatbatch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazingly, there are still some smart people working here, despite Greatbatch's ineptitude. Huge HR department means it's easy to get a stand-up desk, ergo keyboard, ergo chair, and other frills.

Cons

The management structure is a joke. The "lead" of the Denver site is not a full-time employee of the company, and is unwilling to work cooperatively with any other division. Silos are the norm. Contractors are used like full time employees, and then everybody wonders why knowledge continues to leave the company.

Make up your mind. If you want to develop products, then hire the people you need and use them. If you want to be a component company, then focus on that. But please, stop letting ego and overpaid consultants drive your decisions!

Great people/product, no so great company

I worked at Greatbatch

Pros

Hard-working employees who make quality products, fantastic co-workers

Cons

Overworked, lack of resources, high turnover, unnecessary hiring which leads to unnecessary lay offs, questionable morals (including employees laid off while on maternity leave), unorganized

Pay production employees more- they're doing all the hard work; doesn't look good when executive pay goes up and everyone else is told there is a small or no amount of an increase

YOU CAN GO FAR, IF YOU WANT TO KISS BUTT!!!!!

Former Employee - Production  in  Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Production in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Greatbatch full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

GREAT BENEFITS, GREAT WORK ENVIRONMENT, GREAT EMPLOYEES TO WORK WITH,ON THE PRODUCTION FLOOR. EMPLOYEE RECOGNITION IS GREAT. ALSO PROFIT SHARE AND WILL PAY FOR
    SCHOOL.

Cons

MANAGEMENT SUCK!!!! IF YOU DON"T KISS BUTT'S !!! THEY WILL NOT PROMOTE YOU!!!!!!
    There a whole lot of, NEPOTISM going on in that company. they have lost a,whole lot of good employees
    because of that fact.

FIRE!!!! Them all !!!! and start over again! Start with the floor supervisors!!!!!, then work or, way up!!!

Great place to work

I have been working at Greatbatch full-time for more than a year

Pros

Challenging, lots of opportunities, growing

Cons

None overall that I can think of

Internship

I worked at Greatbatch

Pros

Treated employees well
    Great company to work for

Cons

Dont know any cons of working here

Good experience

Former Employee - Intern  in  Clarence, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in Clarence, NY

I worked at Greatbatch as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Friendly people
    - People always willing to help eachother

Cons

- Office moral was sometimes very low - Directed toward company

Greatbatch Barton RD Clarence, NY

Former Employee - Not A Modelmaker, Or In the Modelshop  in  Clarence, NY
    Former Employee - Not A Modelmaker, Or In the Modelshop in Clarence, NY

I worked at Greatbatch full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time Vacation Time

Cons

People that will be nasty if they feel threatened by your knowledge, ideas, pay you may be getting (until your supervisor assures them otherwise). private club-like shop, that if you are not allowed to join, will "haze" you into submission, or an altercation. Trust NOBODY. Do not confide personal issues with your supervisor. You will notice others acting on your "secret". Making friends is rare, so if you are like I was, don`t talk, do your work. If they are talking football, do not chime in, or "You know everything about football". If you see a stupid method, definitely shut your mouth, and you`ll be OK. It is an atmosphere of nasty. Ever heard of a boss calculating how much more time you took on a job than "so and so", who`s been running it for 15 years? I cannot believe I put up with it for so long. Truth be told, but after a few paid the price, I`ll bet it`s a great shop to start in. As of now.

Get rid of the "management", that is not "managing". You can double your output if you try new idea or two. But what the hey? Management changes like the weather at Greatbatch Medical. So in reality, the "in crowd" of long timers run the place. I realize now that a first year HR person, has no power over a 30 year employee. What was I thinking?

Worked for Greatbatch? Contribute to the Community!