Greater Baltimore Medical Center

Updated June 4, 2014
Updated June 4, 2014
3.7

CEO

GBMC made good use of my talents and allowed me to further my career.

I worked at Greater Baltimore Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I progressively increased my responsibilities while employed there. GBMC supported me in furthering my education. The medical staff and the nursing staff have very high values in terms of clinical care. Never had a problem with referring patients and family to the facility as I knew they would get good care.

Cons

Unfortunately the leadership sometimes makes decisions that may be financially beneficial in the short run, but in the long interfere with good patient care and the reputation of the hospital.

Nice, place to work - but little opportunity for advancement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

I worked at Greater Baltimore Medical Center full-time

Pros

Generally people are very friendly. Teams seem to get along well and work well with other departments. Most employees seem relatively happy.

Cons

Upper management out of touch with most "front line" issues. Many projects are launched to placate doctors egos, rather than drive business goals. Very limited opportunity for advancement. No career pathing unless you are part of an elite few.

Make better efforts to listen to workers at all levels. Develop career pathing programs for all individuals who are interested, not just residents from select MHA programs.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Registration  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Registration in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Greater Baltimore Medical Center part-time for less than a year

Pros

A great atmosphere; majority of the entire staff are rather friendly and easy to talk to and to get along with.

Cons

Alot of favoritism; depending on what department you are in; will determine room for growth (promotion). Immediate supervisors are NOT professional 85% of the time; they tend to do things based off conviency for them.

Stop being too friendly with your subbordinates; stop taking sides; play your part and jump in and lend a hand when its' short-staffed and you (supervisor) did not take the appropriate steps on finding coverage.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GBMC is one company that doesn't care about its employees.

Former Employee - Emergency Department Technician  in  Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Emergency Department Technician in Towson, MD

I worked at Greater Baltimore Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent salary, clean facility, close to home

Cons

Management will turn on you in an instant, no "open-door" policy, always understaffed, overworked, very inflexible with school schedule

Staff the hospital appropriately. It's dangerous to patients when the staff is overworked, not getting sleep, or enough days off. Even if you don't care about the staff well-being, patient safety should be a concern.

vERY REWARSING GROWTH EXPERIENCE IN SKILLS AND WAGES

Current Employee - MT(Hematology)  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - MT(Hematology) in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Greater Baltimore Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very great team spirit and support systhem, care for patients, employees, clients, and the communities.

Cons

I wanted more challenges. This may not be a GBMC issue.

To offer an individual/employee a chance in an area they express a greater interest in and to train their own exactly the way they desire them to ultimately function.

I enjoyed working at GBMC

I have been working at Greater Baltimore Medical Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

GBMC has great Benefits available!

Cons

I don't have any cons about GBMC.

GBMC's management team treats their employees well!

Wonderful hospital for patients...

Former Employee - Medical Records Clerk  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Medical Records Clerk in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Greater Baltimore Medical Center part-time for more than a year

Pros

There was always enough work to keep you busy. Working with patients was a very rewarding experience.

Cons

Promotional opportunities were limited within the hospital unless you were friendly with certain people in HR.

Provide more opportunities for promotion to people if they have proven they can do their jobs.

Slow moving, but solid place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Nice people, pleasant environment. for the most part management treat you well. Good benefits.

Cons

Pace it a little slow moving if you are not used to it. Hard to get things done sometimes with management. Not a lot of chance for advancement on the non-clinical side. Employee incentive plan is pretty much a joke.

Listen more to employees. Develop more programs or opportunities for career development.

Nice Hospital staff, but management please hire more nurses to better care for patient load.

Current Employee - Supplemental RN  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Supplemental RN in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Greater Baltimore Medical Center as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Friendly staff for the most part

Cons

Too few Nurses for patient load---therefore difficult to provide optimal care

Hire more nurses to more appropriately attend to patient load & for better patient care. Remove current computer bring on "Epic" software---will allow for better over all patient care.

managers need more business background

Former Employee - Nurse
    Former Employee - Nurse

I worked at Greater Baltimore Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

proximity to home was a bonus

Cons

managers running units who make exceptions ALL the time, do not have any business background - "just become someone wants to run a unit - does not mean they are qualified to do so" - have no idea how to actually control employees and contain disrespect between them

oversee your unit managers - ensure that exceptions are not given out unfairly and indiscriminately - put your money where your mouth is and ensure the safety, health and welfare of your employees

Worked for Greater Baltimore Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!