Greater Lynn Senior Services
www.glss.net Lynn, MA 150 to 499 Employees

Greater Lynn Senior Services Reviews

Updated Mar 10, 2014
Greater Lynn Senior Services – Lynn – “Employee assisting a consumer”

Operations Supervisor

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)
Lynn, MA

I have been working at Greater Lynn Senior Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExpectations are not demanding. Similar to a state office position, a lot of camaraderie and backing up of each supervisors position on an issue. Working with the Union, AFL/CIO employee issues regarding incidents,investigating accidents, documentation relative to accidents and employee issues, situations regarding HR and disciplinary actions. Most disciplinary actions are procedural not resulting in termination. Working with Pick Up & Drop Off crew, scheduling of rides, scheduling of drivers. There are many Operations Supervisors so the work load is minimal and in many cases, self starting.

ConsThe position is not challenging enough, no room for promotion, glass ceiling, working with lower level un-educated peers. Many Operations Supervisors do not have a High School diploma, Associates and very few hold a Bachelors Degrees. Job can be demeaning at times as the environment encourages ignorant peers who demean and belittle those who are trying to make the environment better. Corporate culture does not encourage nor embrace changes well. We often make mistakes relative to our drivers, but are not allowed to discuss. Everything left up to the Union and grievance system. Too much documentation on verbal and written warnings, suspension of drivers in many cases un-warranted. Many of our drivers came from successful corporate positions, hold bachelors degrees and higher. Our human resources does not tap into many of our drivers positive attributes including but not limited to promotions and management reviews. Company leads from behind and does not coach or mentor for success. In many cases we set up our drivers for failure, not to be hopeful in the attainment of a higher company position. This is a non-profit so most of our residuals are spent on non-essentials and mis-managed at the top. Upper management is over compensated and they do a great job at covering for themselves to ensure future employment security. Many fellow operations supervisors discriminate against female/male white employees more so over their peers. If you are white you will have less opportunities and will experience some reverse discrimination, especially against new hires.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake all Drivers, MBTA employees and not to discriminate against by having drivers work harder and more shifts than actual MBTA employees. Have a level playing field in equal opportunity available to employees. It's time to lay off upper management as the company is top heavy with more non-producing managers relative to the workers who produce, mainly the drivers. Most of all eliminate the back stabbing and politics within Management relative to picking on and or harassing the drivers due to the management requirement of having a quota on writing up so many drivers per period. Eliminate disciplinary quotas.

Take care of your own.

Sedan Driver (Former Employee)

I worked at Greater Lynn Senior Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are a lot of good dedicated employees in the company but it seems that management only wants to listen to the bottom feeders in the group. The road supervisors are to worried that they may have to actually have to go out on the road and do a days work. Most of the good supervisors have left the company.

ConsHaving to put up the the childish bickering that goes on during a shift. The drivers who can never be found on the radio and on a constant basis do not pitch in when thime's get tough

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the good employees and they will help you grow and remember that most of our clients know whats going on in the company.

Challenges in Medical and Senior Transport

Driver (Current Employee)
Lynn, MA

I have been working at Greater Lynn Senior Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA great company to work for may not have a shortage at all. Whereas a company that has a reputation of treating drivers badly may never get drivers again. Thus a driver shortage is a huge issue but one that they caused themselves for the most part. I think most CEO's will say the unstable economy and current Government problems is what concerns them most.

I can tell you the company that I work for, the only drivers coming threw the doors are rookies with just a permit attending the companies driving school. Without that school they would have no drivers available to hire. This hiring driving school graduates has caused the back row of para-transit vehicles to look like a junk yard. The companies CSA score has plummeted but then they see it as they have no choice but to hire and train new beginners. I do not know what for, they treat the beginners so bad that 90% quick with in 3 months. I cant figure them out. For every 2 they hire at least 5 quit. Better, comprehensive and better opportunities for a more advanced license would keep drivers. If they knew that they could advance their current license from under 26,000 pounds to Bus or CDL, they would stay for a long time and become better, safer and more qualified drivers. A win/win.

ConsWhats really sad is they think were all stupid, just another dumb driver. When they are really short on drivers they treat you well and talk to you nice. When they have enough drivers they treat you like crap and they could care less if you quit. That is until the drivers do quit and a week later they're begging for drivers again. Again, I can't figure this out but this is what they do. Then they wonder why no one wants to work for them. Ask me I have a long list of over 100 reasons why drivers do not want to work for them. One is that they do not have an interactive suggestion box. Why? Simple, they don't want to hear any suggestions. It is their way or the hi-way. Most drivers leave for better opportunities and many keep jumping from company to company, so driver shortage is not that easy to track accurately.
Their is no opportunity to move into management positions. This company is a sub-contract agency for the MBTA without the MBTA compensation. Management is appointed for who they know, not what they know. When you research your managers, HR and directors, you quickly find out that they have no qualifications for their position. The company is all about political, outsiders need not apply. If you're a Republican, don't even think about advancement or being hired for that matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou want an end to drivers shortage? Simple pay the drivers what they are worth and treat them like humans not animals. Give them the respect that they have earned and deserve and enough home time to actually have and enjoy a life. We all know there's a shortage, every one is always talking about it. John the trainer says, anyone can apply for a job here, but unless you know someone higher up, forget it. HR has the fix in. You don't want a shortage than pay and treat the drivers right. I work 70 hours a week, pay me for 70 hours a week and don't forget the over time. You get it we want it too. You get to be home for a child's birthday and holidays and doctors appointments we want that too and we don't think that's to much to ask. You see, you won't do what we do and you probably couldn't do it anyway. You treat us bad don't get us home when we need to be home, you talk to us like we are dirt then mad when we quit and you scratch your head wondering why no one wants to work for you. It is really not that difficult to end the shortage. Why is there a shortage? GREED!

Great place to work!

I have been working at Greater Lynn Senior Services

ProsGreater Lynn Senior Services not only takes care of the elder and disabled community, they take care of their employees, too. Great place to work. Managers are friendly and smart. You know what is expected of you and they tell you when you are doing a good job. Great benefits and lots of paid holidays. They even have fun events for the employees atleast once a month. I have enjoyed being an employee of GLSS.

ConsAfter working at some horrible places in my life, I can't think of too many negative things to say about GLSS. I suppose that the main office could be located in a nicer neighborhood but it's not too bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think keep up the good work. Some people should remember to keep a smile on. We have good jobs and most of the people here want to do their best.

Worked for Greater Lynn Senior Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Greater Lynn Senior Services reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Greater Lynn Senior Services employees.