Greater Than One

Be The First To
Add Photos

Greater Than One CEO Elizabeth Appelles

Elizabeth Appelles

Great place to visit, but I wouldn't live there. . .

I worked at Greater Than One full-time for more than a year

ProsNice people, Good location, extremely lax about working from home, pretty easy to take personal days and vacation, several holidays off, summer fridays, beer friday, free food

ConsIt is hard to move up in the company (in any meaningful way), the health benefits are meh, it takes forever to get anything done (whether it be getting deliverables out the door or getting an employee review, it feels like pulling teeth to get things expedited)

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees feel undervalued. There are a lot of inspired and talented people working at GTO with a drive to move up and make changes. Unfortunately, outside the favored few, it is difficult to turn ideas into action. This leaves these employees disillusioned and discouraged. Therefore, the employees leave as soon as they hit a year or two to try to make a difference elsewhere. Those who stay often do so because its easy to ride the wave.

It's like taking a trip down the rabbit hole... and being in the West Village, that says a lot!

Ad Ops (Former Employee)

I worked at Greater Than One full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great to get some extra bullets on your resume. One thing I can't complain about is the extraordinary amount of new things I was exposed to and initiatives I got to run, even though I wasn't qualified to do a lot of it. If you want to take the reigns and go nuts, GTO's the place to do it.
- Walked away with **tons** of industry cred having "made it" at a place like GTO. There's hardly a place I've gone to interview since that doesn't have an ex-employee from GTO on the hiring team... oh, and the shared experiences abound! Definitely took my career projectery up innumerable notches.

Cons- Possibly the world's most inept senior management (the lack of people skills will bring you to tears. It's no wonder the partners came together to form a company, they likely couldn't remain employed anywhere else for long).
- Terrible sales/client retention/account management strategy and even poorer execution (If you're junior & don't think this point would impact you, you're wrong. When a partner loses a major client, she's not on the chopping block... but YOU are).
- Horrific benefits (expensive healthcare, no matching 401K, you catch my drift).

Advice to Senior Management- I haven't seen any notable additions to your company's portfolio in years. You should get on that.
- Your awesomeness is not as impressive to the rest of the industry as it is in your collective minds. Get off the ego trip, it's not impressing your employees, nor your clients who keep leaving you, nor the prospective clients who toss your RFPs out the window. (Heads-up: Your lofty claims are not backed by real results - y'all sound deluded when you pitch your proposals, which is probably why you end up landing 'nada.)

If not for the senior management this could be an amazing company

I worked at Greater Than One full-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the smartest, most talented folks I have ever worked with.

ConsThe above mentioned folks are not allowed to do their job. CEO pretends to care about her employees but its all a lie. She is a micro manager to the highest degree. The other senior management (COO) is a thinks everyone is out to steal his thunder. The 2 of them combined will ultimately lead to the downfall (to the joy of many I am sure) of this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company to people who know what they are doing.

A place to get early experience, not good for growth

I worked at Greater Than One full-time for more than a year

ProsOkay work-life balance; solid first job material; manages to attract some smart, motivated, and fun people

ConsSmart, motivated people mentioned above are quickly frustrated by stifling inter-office politics; successful politicking rewarded over hard work; disorganized senior staff constantly introducing lofty organizational goals instead of recognizing realities of staffing, company organization

The talented people the agency works so hard to attract find little reason to stay. There is no real mentoring structure in place, and beyond developing a base level of competency, it is difficult to grow as an employee. The ability to put on a good face is given more weight than skill and work ethic.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore self-awareness is needed in upper-level management. Principles the company prides itself on embodying are not actually found in the day-to-day at the organization. Management currently attracts smart, young talent. They need to work harder at keeping it.

It's disheartening to work at a company where some of the upper level management demonstrates open disrespect for employees. This sometimes extends to visibly undermining the authority of other, kinder members of upper level management who are genuinely trying to affect positive change. GTO has the fortune of hiring young, fun, intelligent people at the beginnings of their careers. By all rights, they should be able to retain them and help them grow.

Smartest, sweetest coworkers I've ever had the pleasure of learning about the marketing world under

Marketing Intern (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Greater Than One as an intern for less than a year

ProsFlexible hours, interesting projects, amazing supervisors, cool environment.

ConsI really can't think of any! Such an amazing internship experience.

Limited growth opportunity, flailing quality of work, high value placed on politics

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Greater Than One full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA small agency that gives junior team members opportunity to grow quickly

ConsTop heavy with high focus on senior management, lean junior and mid-level teams leading to overburdened workers
Low career mobility and growth opportunity - no training programs or onboardings offered
Limited new business opportunity and client growth

Advice to Senior ManagementPrioritize your junior team members and create a safe, comfortable working environment

Great place to work in your early marketing days

Search Marketing Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Greater Than One full-time for more than a year

ProsNice place to learn the digital marketing ropes

ConsNot great for top level jobs

Disappointed. Started with great energy and vision but unfortunately was lost over time.

I worked at Greater Than One

ProsConsistently able to attract highly motivated, smart, talented people. Deep expertise in search engine and digital media, especially in the pharmaceutical sector. Excellent training ground for better opportunities elsewhere.

ConsUpper managements inability to recognize and retain talent. Constantly reinventing the wheel and limited opportunities for promotion and salary increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of constantly hiring yet another "expert" to "fix" the company, value the talent you have and experience that has been built by those people.

Previously Great, Currently Terrible

I worked at Greater Than One

ProsOnce this was an entrepreneurial place that had a great group of people collaborating successfully. The CEO played a background role, letting the knowledgeable people manage and run the business. The digital passion was high, the work strong, the people fun, and client relationships healthy. Great chemistry all around, but much of that is now fading away.

ConsA formerly great place is now on the wrong track. The CEO has elected to take over most things herself, although she is not capable of the role, and driving away many good people who made the place great. This makes the long-term outlook poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the CEO out of the hands-on business management.

On Par With Other Agencies

I have been working at Greater Than One

ProsEnvironment is what you'd expect from any small-ish agency. People are generally pleasant to work with. Very flat with direct access to upper management.

ConsEmployees are undervalued. New business prospects are prioritized above all else. Strategies and decisions are rarely data-driven. No incentive to work hard - not a meritocracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand employee satisfaction should be prioritized. Institute a performance-based incentive system - not recognizing hard/good work creates an atmosphere of "why bother trying any harder?"

Worked for Greater Than One? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Greater Than One reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Greater Than One CEO Elizabeth Appelles. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Greater Than One employees.