Greater Than One Reviews

Greater Than One CEO Elizabeth Appelles
Elizabeth Appelles

1. A good ad agency with a lot of potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Greater Than One full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Management and CEO are very approachable. The atmosphere is great, there are a lot of talented people working there.
    - Culture and values are excellent.
    - The salaries are in ranges with what most ad agencies pay, not better, not worst.
    - I didn't spent more than a year here, but during that time I saw people getting promotions.
    - Bagels every Monday and beer every Friday!
    - Work balance is good compared to other ad agencies.
    - CEO has a genuine commitment with charity.

Cons

- There is not much to do, they don't have a lot of business and sometimes you wonder why do they need so many high rank positions. If you are honest about your career, you'll feel useless a lot of times.
    - During the year I spent there I witnessed three series of layoffs. The worst case was when they hired a new account manager just to let her go less than a month after that. Very poorly management in that respect.

Advice to Management

Keep working hard to get more new business. Concentrate in getting talented people to do hand-on work and don't spend time with so many partners. Too many captains will sink the ship

2. A Good Company

I worked at Greater Than One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at GTO for a little over 2 years. Like any job, it had its ups and downs, but I gained valuable experience and I will take the lessons I learned with me for the rest of my career. The criticism of the CEO is unfair and those who wrote those negative comments likely did poor work and were let go as a result. Elizabeth is competitive and aggressive, and she demands a lot of her employees. This is the nature of any entrepreneur/CEO and her high expectations should be looked at as an opportunity to develop, not to be discouraged. The workplace is a safe, comfortable workplace where people can be themselves and be creative. There is a strong core of employees with impressive technical backgrounds. They are the driving force behind the company and management should continue to add people with those skill sets. Finally, the higher ups are accommodating to individual schedules and there is free food and beer on Fridays!

Cons

Like any partnership, the company is top heavy. GTO would do itself a favor by letting some of the least value added partners go. This would allow for the younger talent to better express themselves and it would also incentivize them to move up.

Advice to Management

Become as numbers based as possible in all aspects of the business. GTO has a strong qualitative approach, the more quantitative they can become the stronger they will be.

3. Smart people, fun culture

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Greater Than One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at many agencies and GTO has some of the brightest folks around. Great place to get hands-on exposure to pharma and healthcare clients, plus a lot of thought leadership opps (whitepapers; conferences; think-pieces etc.).

Cons

Pharma/health is so regulated that much of your time will be spent working through FDA approvals, legal team reviews and such. For somebody used to CPG such as myself, it was initially tedious and a bit overwhelming. However, you do get used to it and being skilled at innovating in a regulated space can be a huge differentiator.

Advice to Management

Performance aside, the best memories I have at GTO are the people - continue rewarding employees for their contributions and making it easy for us to have fun.

"We're An Agency That Bends Over and Takes It In the Rear From Our Clients & Throws Our Employees Under The Bus."

I worked at Greater Than One

Pros

People are generally very nice. Anyone who is not in a leadership position that is - with the exception of 2 or 3 Senior Level employees.

Cons

Wow. Clearly all of the most recent 2015 "4 star reviews" are plants. Sorry GTO, it's obvious you wrote those yourself. This place is a joke. The most ignorant, incompetent, lazy and self-serving ones are at the top. Promotions mean nothing - they're used as a retention device - your work never changes. Department Heads have their heads up their behinds and have no integrity. There's a lot of do as I say, not as I do.

Advice to Management

Sell

6. Couldn't have picked a better place to start my career

Former Employee - Strategy in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Strategy in New York, NY

I worked at Greater Than One full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I credit GTO with launching my digital strategy career and giving me opportunities that I probably wouldn't have found anywhere else. From my start, I was given an expanding role in client-facing projects, which really honed my strategy & presentation chops.

The company always seeks to over-deliver, meaning I was able to do work that I was genuinely proud of. Many of my GTO decks & presentations are still in my "brag book" today (with client names removed of course). We made every effort to ensure that even tactical pieces like media plans had a smart strategy, actionable analytics and a thoughtful analysis of how things were working for the brand. I think this gives a sincerity to the work that stands out.

Now that I've worked at a few other places, I can honestly say that the culture and people were standouts - I am still close friends with many of the people I worked with. It is rare to find a company with a results-oriented, driven mentality where the people are still pleasant to be around.

Cons

The typical cons of the agency world - long hours, sometimes-brutal assignments (difficult clients are difficult clients!), and the inevitable fire-drills that keep teams scrambling. Also, GTO's focus on digital media meant we had to do extra work to convince clients of our worth as a strategic partner vs just a media shop.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus and investment on the stuff that makes it really special - the people, the special attention to clients and the depth of engagement you don't get at a larger agency.

7. Good learning experience; fun environment

I worked at Greater Than One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a junior employee, I was given the opportunity for a ton of upward mobility and to learn a lot about the industry. For the most park, people respected my work despite my level. Everyone was very fun, and the company liked having parties and get-togethers. This is probably a reflection of the CEO's gregarious nature.

Cons

Some disorganization/miscommunication, but nothing out of the ordinary. Pharma might not be for everyone. Core benefits like healthcare could be stronger.

Learned a lot, but just don't.

I worked at Greater Than One full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a number of talented people here who are passionate and great to work with. You'll learn a lot from your coworkers from the supervisor level and down. Good location. Generous holiday time off and relaxed atmosphere.

Great expertise in the media and search departments as well as pharma in general.

Cons

Senior leadership is a mess and drinks their own kool-aid. They have no idea what they are doing. Whenever anyone suggests to the contrary, they insist otherwise and continue down their own path. Good thing they hired those consultants and had leadership retreats!

Their inability to change both their business and attitudes has lost them dozens of qualified staffers who left for a better job elsewhere where their talents were recognized.

The structure of the accounts are such that few people are saddled with a large amount of workflow while others do little and struggle.

Management showed over multiple years a refusal to edit processes and reduce pain points that were inefficient and wasted money.

The benefits are terrible and expensive. Pay could be better, but is generally ok.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to feedback and consider that you are not always correct. Understand that you are not the best agency out there, and work on fixing it instead of faking it until you make it.

Listen to your employees, treat them well, and cultivate talent rather than run them out of your office.

Crazy Town!

I worked at Greater Than One

Pros

Some really nice people--talented, engaged and all struggling to get as far away from the CEO as possible.

Cons

CEO is completely uninformed and a micromanager---does not understand the business they are in---and hand picks the least talented as her favorites

Advice to Management

Sell while you can

A nice environment with no direction

Former Employee - Search Marketing Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Search Marketing Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Greater Than One full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are pretty good for agency standards.

Cons

Management does not give clear directions and expects you to figure things out on your end.

Advice to Management

A better training method for new employees would allow them to be more efficient and have a better direction of where they need to be.

11. Smart people, great place to learn

I worked at Greater Than One full-time

Pros

Work life balance = good. Compensation = slightly below par. Perks = Good. Culture = mostly positive

Cons

Broaden your target business focus to outside healthcare/pharma.

Advice to Management

Do what you do, do it well. Stop reinventing the wheel every time. Take what you did the last time, review it and do it better.

RSS Feed </> Embed