Greeley and Hansen Reviews

Updated April 14, 2015
24 reviews filtered by

Great place to work

Former Employee - Engineer/Task Leader/Assistant Project Manager in Springfield, VA

I worked at Greeley and Hansen

Pros

the amazing thing about Greeley and Hansen is its recognition of the work that employees do. in addition, the company is very flexible and provides enormous amount of help when it comes to personal and professional development.

Cons

I never clearly understood the salary increase at the end of the year process.

Advice to Management

I would suggest them to be more transparent in the process that the company uses to review performance and associate that with the salary increase

Do not work here. No advancement.

I have been working at Greeley and Hansen

Pros

Good team members to work with

Cons

HR, CEO COO - Senior Management. Salaries are not fair, Women Associate Engineers get paid less than male junior engineers. Senior Management does not care about employees. They will only promote those that are "yes" people, irregardless of experience. Benefits are lacking. COO cares more about the facade of the main office, instead of its core - employees. HR department won't help out easily when asked about insurance or benefit issues/questions. Once you have elected to leave the company, they will not give you an exit interview, blame all problems, bad mouth you to client or other workers. Whomever is writing reviews that work/life balance is awesome is not a senior engineer with project management duties. They will be required to work 80 hours wk, weekends and on your "free time" handle business development initiatives, committee work.

Advice to Management

If they care - ask your employees about the company. listen to them and take action. reward, praise and review your benefits. They are appalling

Disappointed

I have been working at Greeley and Hansen

Pros

work life balance is adequate

Cons

Senior management care more about how the company looks as opposed to being an employee driven company. Employee morale is low, little to no appreciation. Agree with that they shun ex-employees. HR Department is useless, you ask questions and the senior members, sigh and sometimes tell you that they are too busy to help out. Exasperating to day the least.

Advice to Management

Provide growth to all employee's, listen ... ask questions. You are working inefficiently when the Senior Management cares about money and money alone, the little guy or gal gets lost.

Greeley and Hansen is a well respected firm with talented individuals who are dedicated to their work.

I have been working at Greeley and Hansen

Pros

The company is definitely reinvesting in it's people and I've seen such great changes in the short period of time that I have been with the firm.

Cons

Would like to see more opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

Continue to stress the core values of the firm and the importance of our people.

Good engineering but hard place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Greeley and Hansen

Pros

Good engineering with strong reputation in the industry.

Cons

hard to convince upper management what you are capable of and not that flexible

Advice to Management

Need to learn to value young people and be more flexible.

An "old school" company with a facade of progressive.

Former Employee - Engineer, Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Engineer, Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Greeley and Hansen

Pros

If you are an "old school" person, here is the place for you. Ex-military managers are welcome here. Some managers are bright, but they soon leave.

Cons

There is a "old school" managerial style underneath, but top managers put on a big show of being progressive. Top level is arrogant and aloof. Don't let the somewhat charismatic higher level fool you. They are here only for the money. This is a managerial company where showmanship is valued more than technical knowledge. If a manager leaves, they shun you like only an "old school" company would do.

Advice to Management

Time to care about your employees: not just the shining stars but all of them. You should try to create more team spirit. Most of your competitors have a sense of belonging so take a lesson from them

Greeley and Hansen is a great place to work if your looking for lots of free time and no place for advancement

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Greeley and Hansen

Pros

There is tons of free time. The deadlines for things are generally twice as long as you need to get them done. The offices are for the most part nice to work in. Greeley and Hansen generally overcharges clients so there is plenty of money to be made.

Cons

There is very little room for advancement. It is a very flat structure (entry level -> associate ->principal) which means that you will have to work with the company for many years in order to move up. There is also a very large age discrepancy. Half of the company is over 40 while the other half is under 30. While everybody is amicable, the younger people do not have much in common with the older people and therefore do not interact very much. The modeling software needed for most projects is not available. Rather than spend some money to get the software, the company generally chooses to contract out the work losing more money than doing it in house.

Advice to Management

The senior management needs to be more involved in the other employees. The senior management is rarely seen on a day to day basis.

Good peoples but unfortunately, fake upper management and archaic culture turning them away

I have been working at Greeley and Hansen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work with some of the most talented and experienced engineers in the industry. Work life balance is adequate and somewhat more relaxed. The senior/experienced engineers are always happy to share their knowledge and patiently teach you things. There is no formal training, though...

Cons

Flat corporate culture. Failure to recognize and appreciate employees. Archaic old-man culture within the management. Just like all the other negatives here, they recently changed the facade, to make it look more progressive and modern, but the soul (if any) is still old. Senior management hardly seen on day to day basis and frankly they don't know anything about their employees. Useless human resources department and it's so hard to find any information on the intranet site, and then you have to fight tooth and nail to get them to explain things to you. The intranet and other multiple links are not well organized or managed.

Advice to Management

Take some interest in your employees and listen to them. Really listen. Stop being fake, and stop pretending. Give the younger engineers more guidance and give the experienced engineers more recognition.

Good Engineers, Bad Management

I worked at Greeley and Hansen

Pros

There are some very talented engineers who work here. They know what they are doing, and will help guide and direct younger staff. Satellite offices are much more laid back than Headquarters or Regional Offices.

Cons

Senior Management has lost focus on the principals and values the Company was founded on. The concern is no longer on the individual and the work, but rather on the "cosmetic" things. They believe that if they look like an attractive company, talented people will flock to them and stay. Stacking your corporate resume with non-engineering awards and achievements does not win work, or keep talent. There has been a great exodus of senior management and owners over the last five years. Additionally, four individuals have held the position of CFO in the last 6-7 years...what does that tell someone?

Advice to Management

Stay the course....no one in the industry feels like you are competition anymore and we are all just watching you spiral downhill. BUT... if you want to succeed...you need to make a BIG change at the top...starting with the CEO and COO's.

When all is said and done, it's a nice place to work

I have been working at Greeley and Hansen

Pros

The people I work with are very nice, ethical and have strong technical skills. It's great to get to know them personally on the various project teams and I really like the way the firm is organized and approaches the work assignments. For me personally, I have confidence in the leadership and in the direction the company is headed. I find that management is open, approachable, and willing to help you advance in your career. Many people stay with the firm a long time (that may perhaps give some the appearance that this is still an "old school" engineering fiirm), but, honestly, I've seen many positive changes in the time I've been with Greeley and Hansen. Overall, the leadership has made significant progress in the last several years and continues to work hard to grow the firm. I like that.

For me, I feel I'm paid fairly and I like my project team/co-workers. The company has solid employee benefits, new modern office facilities with the latest techology, one-on-one mentoring from my manager, and the company offers various programs that I think positively impacts morale during the course of the year. Overall, I think it's a good place to work.

Cons

As with many companies, it's not perfect. Communications could always be improved. Also, with all the changes and hiring taking place, it's sometimes hard to keep up. During peak periods there can be alot of overtime.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Not everyone will embrace every change and some people will undoubtedly leave the company, but, in the end, the firm must continue to move forward. Change is hard for some people, don't let that discourage you from doing what you know is right.

Greeley and Hansen Photos