Green BEAN Delivery

3.2

Matt Ewer

Great People, Great Mission, Mediocre Execution

I worked at Green BEAN Delivery full-time

Pros

Free organic food, friendly co-workers, passionate owners, great place to start if you're young & looking to build your resume

Cons

Poor compensation, Horrible PTO policy, Inexperienced leadership ("making it up as we go" management style), delivery drivers are over-worked and micro-managed, which leads to high turnover and bad hires.

Hire externally for some experienced managers, implement more performance metrics and standard operating procedures.

Day to day is great, upper management not so much.

I have been working at Green BEAN Delivery full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Your coworkers will be awesome! These will be people you will want to hang out with outside of work. Always willing to lend a hand. Hours are pretty consistent, full time is considered 30 hours so most people are full time allowing them to get benefits (what little there are). Workload is pretty consistent as well in most positions. Management is willing to weed out bad employees. Health benefits are reasonable, disability is paid by the employer. They almost exclusively promote from within. The day to day is why I recommend this job to friends, it's still better than more corporate jobs I've worked, you just have to know what you're getting into.

Cons

PTO means Planned Time Off, not Paid Time Off. You must work there 3 years to get 5 days of paid time off and 6 years to get 10. One of the most ridiculous accrual rates I've ever heard. No 401k or any retirement benefits of any kind (heard somewhere the CEO thinks they're "BS".) Constant change, they never complete a project before starting a new one. Many projects just magically disappear and the ones that do get rolled out are incomplete. The answer to any suggestions to how things are done is usually answered with "Well, that's how things are done." HR has no idea what they're doing, even found to be doing things they later find out they're not supposed to be. Drivers definitely need to be compensated more considering the hazards they face on a daily basis. The upper management culture is vastly different from the warehouse employee culture.

Communication! Don't think because we work in the warehouse means we don't have meaningful suggestions on how things could be improved. We do this everyday, you see warehouse operations on occasion. Stop with the neoptism, too many family and friends in high ranking positions, making it an exclusive club where others ideas aren't welcome. Yes our customers are important and without them we'd no longer in business but remember happy employees who love where they work do a better job and that will show to our customers. If we think the company doesn't care about us, why should we care about the company?

Long hours, harsh working conditions, and low pay.

I worked at Green BEAN Delivery full-time

Pros

Weekends off, casual work environment.

Cons

Unreasonably long hours at times (14+), no heat during harsh winter months, no longer offers employee grocery bins (abruptly cancelled, during a period of record sales no less, after years of being nearly the only benefit for warehouse employees), make it up as it goes management style, low pay, and poor communication that complicates employees' daily tasks.

Foster an environment that respects employees and adequately staff departments in order to avoid stressing loyal employees with heavy workloads.

Great employees to work with.

Former Employee - Production Worker in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Green BEAN Delivery full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Your co-workers are really what make the place fun. Mostly musicians and artist at entry level. Managers are pretty easy to get along with.

Cons

If you show that you are a good employee you are given more responsibility but for the same pay. So, others that do less work and are average are paid the same amount. It seems like the management is just making things up as they go along. I worked there for quite a while and they fired me for a misunderstanding and were unwilling to let me do another task in order to help me out. I guess that I just wasn't buddy enough with my supervisor. Suggestions for the company, forget it! They say they want feedback but don't listen or can't do anything about it. Hours are rarely 40 hours/week.

Employees just don't need hours all the time... You can stretch a worker too thin. Listen to the ones getting the job done!!!

Growing company with a great mission

I worked at Green BEAN Delivery full-time

Pros

Advancement opportunities, community involvement, mission to sell sustainable, healthy foods, environment where teamwork and creativity are encouraged and rewarded

Cons

Compensation, Communication cause problems sometimes, some managers are inexperienced

Spend more time planning and communicating with employees

Green BEAN Delivery Photos