Green Door

CEO

A very good company

Former Employee - Administrator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrator in Washington, DC

I worked at Green Door full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people, good supervisors, meaningful work

Cons

Not as high salaries as I's like

Community Support Worker

Current Employee - Community Support Worker in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Community Support Worker in Washington, DC

I have been working at Green Door full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning experience. Helped to make me more more marketable in the mental health field.

Cons

Requires a great deal of organization and time mangement. It also put a lot of milage on my car.

Management needs to address some of the concerns involving the toll that transporting clients can take on the case worker's personal vehicle.

Very open, helpful environment, great for gaining experience.

I have been working at Green Door

Pros

Employees help each other, work together for the benefit of clients.

Cons

Some chaos and disorganization, but it kind of goes with the field.

Lack of support in a difficult field, poor pay.

Former Employee - Community Support Worker in Washington, DC

I worked at Green Door full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This "Non-Profit" offers some initial training and support and has a great introductory training. Andrew has been the main trainer for years and is really effective and supportive as well as professional.

Cons

The cons go on and on. This company does not support it's employees and more importantly, this atmosphere is DANGEROUS to it's community service workers. This company banks on hiring BA/BS level young men and women and paying them next to nothing to do one of the hardest jobs that exists in the mental health field. If this company actually looked at how much money they lose every time they hire and then lose a CSW within a year, they would realize that investing in their employees would save them thousands. Not only do they expect you to use your car to transport clients (they would never admit that, but rather they would say that you should be signing out the company car that is never available as there is one car for each team of 10 people) but you also have to use your cellphone to call them and only get a small re-reimbursement each month.

Unfortunately, there is a huge divide from the upper mgmt who stay in the clinic all day and get paid a very competitive wage and the lowly CSW's who travel all day to all 4 parts of DC but can not bill for transport. The CSW's go into terrible neighborhoods alone, mostly being young women who are not familiar with all of DC.

This company is a billing machine for medicaid and if you do not bill the extravagant amount of face to face time daily, you get reprimanded. You are not rewarded for the long hours of case mgmt you do over the phone with community liaisons, client's families or doctors offices.

I was appalled at how I was treated while being employed there. I was treated great in the first 3 months during my probation period, but as soon as I did not make the amount of billing they wanted me to I began being treated differently by my supervisor who had little to no idea what it was really like to be a CSW. I was in apartment's with psychotic people with minimal support, bed bugs, had to park my car in terrible places, walk through bad neighborhoods alone and expected to write medicaid notes in my free time after a long hellish day.

My advice to upper management and team leaders- Support your people. Pay them more. If you see them struggling clinically, ( WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM SOMEONE WITHOUT A MASTERS DEGREE and minimal clinical training?) guide them and recognize and it is SO MUCH MORE than billing. These young men and women and putting themselves out there in a job you wouldn't do on even the easiest day.

Starting salaries for CSW's higher, increase mgmt support of it's workers, have multiple clinical trainings and multiple resources for staff to utilize for self care.

Very stressful, Tons of paperwork and deadlines

I worked at Green Door full-time

Pros

You are able to make very good bonuses.

Cons

supervisors will micro manage employees.

Listen to your employees compliants