Green Dot

www.greendot.com

Green Dot Reviews

Updated Jun 3, 2014
Green Dot – Pasadena – “Headquarters”

Steve Streit

Pros
  • people are great, facility is nice(in 4 reviews)

• Good benefits when I was there, but I heard some of those have been rolled back(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a good example of what C-Level should be like(in 5 reviews)

• New leadership terminated (not lay-offs) a lot of employees this year and now the morale is low but hopefully it will pick up(in 3 reviews)

Good experience, poor management. No long term direction

Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsA Good place to learn

Consmicromanaged, constant layoffs, shifting C-level yes men

Advice to Senior Managementstablize upper management before you clean out the non "A players"

Didn't live up to its potential

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

Pros- There are some very bright people who believe in the product and are genuinely interested in significantly contributing to the company's success.

- Moving to the new, customized Pasadena headquarters created more positive energy in the work environment.

Cons- The CEO doesn't ever let go control of the reigns. This high touch, micro-management business approach leads to significant discontent in the workplace.

- The executive team touts that employees are allowed to speak up and push back when project tasks and timelines become unreasonable. However, in practice, management is intolerant of anyone not stepping in line with management's directives.

- Morale has been declining in the company for more than two years, which makes it tough to spend 40+ hours/wk at the office.

- The CEO is intolerant of anyone who questions his judgment. Therefore, many executives who were brought on board as change agents were either asked to leave or left in short order because the CEO made a promise for change that he didn't intend to keep.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome out of the executive office more often and take more cues from what the employees are saying.

Positive Changes at Green Dot

Senior Director (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsThere have been a lot of changes at Green Dot since I joined. The technology leadership understands tough decisions that have to be made and are making them. If you work hard, you will be recognized and rewarded. If you're a slacker, your days are numbered. Culture is also evolving for the better. Company pays well and offices are nice.

ConsGrowing pains. A lot of change is happening causing some uncertainty. You're going to have to work hard -- this is not a place you can coast and you will be challenged. However, if you're an A-player, you're going to stand out.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of the changes you're making now are going to pay dividends down the road. It's growing pains and quite painful but weeding out the dead weight and putting good folks in leadership positions will be the key to your future success.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So far, very promising

Vice President (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsThe company is embracing change. I have been through several similar transitions from a start-up culture to an enterprise culture, and I would say this one is better than average. There are a lot of people who want to hold on to the neat start-up mentality - it's fun. But you can't really be a big company and play around. The company is going agile, which means always focusing on the tasks that produce the most gain. Sometimes it means using a boring platform or tool because the "new, fun and exciting" tool won't support the shear increase in traffic and sales, but it means really knowing your tools and your job and every day feeling good about making a product that really helps people.

ConsThere are a lot of original Green Dotters still here that are concerned with the pace of change. Some of them tend to be very negative. There are also a few people who had it easy, but now have to work to keep up. There is a lot of tension as they realize the definition of a good job is changing, and they have to decide if they want to step up and change with the company. Our systems aren't really built to handle our growth, so we play catch up a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing I haven't already heard you say. Slow down a little, remember that growing bigger so fast is hard when you are invested in a much smaller vision and mission, and not all your people are having an easy time thinking bigger.

Unfortunately, the negative reviews are true

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsPay is good and office is nice. CEO is very friendly and funny. He chats with staff.
    Good company events

ConsIt's like yelp I would give a 0 star if possible... Awful IT team to work for...very very very inexperienced technology leadership team

Most of the Senior IT Leadership Team are from a shutdown business unit of a Santa Monica company...first time head of technology is inexperienced and has hired most his colleagues from more junior positions. I have high hopes that the leadership team will turn around.

There has been multiple rounds of layoffs....the worst experience I have ever seen in my professional career was a senior database dev manager being walked out with a box of her personal belongings because of an record locking issue which caused a brief outage....QA manager caught laughing with CTO.

I can't recommend this place as it has become cold and heartless

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO - Find new CTO
    CTO - Focus on gaining leadership skills, many good books and videos on internet
    CFO - Focus on stabilizing Financials and getting another large customer

Managed by a seemingly funny ego maniac Steve streit!

(Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

Prosnice office but the place is cold and the unhappy vibe is everywhere, free fruit and coffee, good parking and decent medical benefits

ConsThe company only exists because they provide a product that a bunch of unemployed poor people need to survive. Otherwise, there are tons of problems with their products and lots of complaints.
    the morale is the worst than any place I ve worked at. Everyone i know is looking for a way out of this place - they just dont want to lose the paycheck. Most of the projects are terminated after significant amount of work went into them. The best and more creative people have been leaving this place as Steve Streit is not ever going to tolerate any innovative/disruptive ideas from anyone (unless the ideas came from him). Or if you contradict his thinking, he is just gonna tell you to shut up and do as he says or you will be fired. Great place, Ha?
    This place is really pathetic, you will not want to stay here more than 6 months. The rest are bottom of the barrel and brown-nosing Steve, while secretly hating the guy. The top management have been there for many years and are so old school and often incompetent, dont even show up for work or sitting in their executive wing ruling the place like we are still in 2000...
     There's not much to be said, this place is going down. Stay away - you will feel suffocated in this place and hate going to work every morning... enough said....

Advice to Senior Managementread the cons and wake up! start valuing your employees and let them actually do their jobs right

Weak, disconnected executives with huge egos

Senior Director (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsNew office environment makes the place feel like a real company.
    Great, talented employees keep the work interesting.
    ESPP program is a guaranteed profit.

ConsNo tolerance for opinions which do not match executive leadership.
    CEO and Executives are 100% disconnected from employee input and what it takes to run a company.
    For example, within a week of the CEO being informed of negative reviews on this site, three glowing reviews appear. All long winded, talking about "change" and bashing previous and some current employees. Coincidence? He has the right to include his opinion, but when he instructs his subordinates to write positive reviews, it is clear that he isn't listening and does not care to listen.

Advice to Senior ManagementSteve, your people don't believe in you. They talk behind your back, snicker and make jokes about you, and complain that your dictatorship stifles innovation and collaboration. This is true for employees at all levels, even your darling lieutenants and GMs you put your trust in. We all hear the stories.

A once exciting company, now a very sad one.........

Sr (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsFree fruit that hasn't yet been taken away like every other benefit has been.

ConsA new regime of technology leaders who are all from the same inner circle who blame all of the past Green Dotters for everything that is wrong: "old Green Dot". Why are there more network outages now with the "new Green Dot" than ever before? At some point you have to quit blaming the old Green Dot. Wake up and look around. Oh and if one guy in IT leadership goes, they all go. The company will be held hostage with no IT management.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit treating your employees poorly. Pay attention to morale. Get a senior leadership team with integrity. The only reason people stay is due to the money. Nothing else.

Worst working environment with uncertainty and fear

IT Manager (Former Employee)

ProsIf you live close by and hate LA commute, probably a Pro.
    If you don't care about the future of the company and just about your paycheck, probably a Pro

ConsDelusional CEO surrounded by incapable Yes men.
    Reactionary management without any strategy.
    If you are hard working and care about the company and speak up, you probably will get fired someday. Well, lets just say, most certainly will get fired someday.

Stay away from IT. The CTO and his inner circle are too inexperienced and too eager to point fingers at Engineers in trenches to save their own skin. It has been absolute downhill in IT morale and within few months there won't be any qualified people left in the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the Board: Get a new CEO who can take the company to next level, not someone who is hurting the Company with his paranoia and delusions.
    To CEO: None
    To new CFO: Don't ask ROI on CEO's pet project.
    To CTO: Gain some experience in people management while it lasts.

Run

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsNo pros. Benefits good but vacation is questioned so why offer vacation !!!!

ConsBad pay ! Micro managed ! Workload insane !!! Not respected managers treat employees like crap!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the company go !!!

Worked for Green Dot? Contribute to the Community!