Green Dot

www.greendot.com

Green Dot Reviews

Updated Jun 3, 2014
Green Dot – Pasadena – “Headquarters”

Steve Streit

Pros
  • people are great, facility is nice(in 4 reviews)

• Good benefits when I was there, but I heard some of those have been rolled back(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a good example of what C-Level should be like(in 5 reviews)

• New leadership terminated (not lay-offs) a lot of employees this year and now the morale is low but hopefully it will pick up(in 3 reviews)

Positive Changes at Green Dot

Senior Director (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsThere have been a lot of changes at Green Dot since I joined. The technology leadership understands tough decisions that have to be made and are making them. If you work hard, you will be recognized and rewarded. If you're a slacker, your days are numbered. Culture is also evolving for the better. Company pays well and offices are nice.

ConsGrowing pains. A lot of change is happening causing some uncertainty. You're going to have to work hard -- this is not a place you can coast and you will be challenged. However, if you're an A-player, you're going to stand out.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany of the changes you're making now are going to pay dividends down the road. It's growing pains and quite painful but weeding out the dead weight and putting good folks in leadership positions will be the key to your future success.

Stay away, far away!

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsBenefits are ok, office space is nice

Cons- Megalomanic CEO is unwilling to let his minions make any decisions
    - Horrible morale. All of the good staff are leaving, so you're left working with the bottom of the barrel. Sounds fun, huh?

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's really advice to the board, and that's to get up off of your collective tails and fire the CEO. All of the problems are at the top, and they trickle their way down.

If you are a good Engineer stay away

Vice President (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsCompany pays well...and though they ditched 401K matching it is still competitive for Southern California

ConsI have been at Green Dot for about two years and I was part of the Engineering Leadership Team

My first recommendation is to tell any fellow engineer to not to waste your time at such an awful place.

The company wastes it's time on legacy bloated Microsoft Technology and though the new leadership team claims they want to embrace new, thin, robust faster technologies it's just not so.

There has been a complete turn over of the Technology Leadership Team...most have left... ...though I was not a big fan of the previous team...they lead with integrity and spoke up for was they thought were right..

The first time leaders struggle to lead the organization through leadership, vision and technology. They actively monitor employee emails, txt messages, the smoking area and the recreation room (ping pong) to find out who is not aboard and who might not believe in the new regime.

If you decide to work there..here are my recommendations:

1 Don't
    6 get free pie at Thanksgiving and quit

Cheers

Advice to Senior ManagementJust give up...and let the organization rebuild

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SteveStreit.com, CEO, thinks he gets the internet

Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsBest thing about working at Green Dot is making jokes about SteveStreit.com, the sort of gallows humor you find in prison camps.

ConsWorst thing about working at Green Dot is sitting in meetings with SteveStreit.com, because loves to belittle employees, shoot down ideas, etc. Second worst thing is meeting with SteveStreit.com's underlings who are constantly trying to read his mind and can't make a decision to save their souls. To be fair, however, they're not allowed to make any decisions because SteveStreit.com makes all decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementDelegate. You're surrounded by hundreds of bright people, many of whom have good ideas. Your refusal to empower any of them means that the good ones leave and you're left with the drecks.

Chaotic Environment

Director (Former Employee)

ProsThey used to have good benefits and valuable stock options.

ConsLack of direction, instability in management structure.

Fast pace with no sense of direction

ProsGood place to learn new skills

ConsHorrible leadership. Quick to point fingers

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn it, understand it then demand for change

Beautiful on the outside, heartless on the inside

Management (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsNew facilities, industry leader, good financials

ConsExecutive leadership doesn't care about people. When i joined the commitment to Green Dot's success was very high. But morale is low now. The culture has changed. The CEO refers to most of the employees as being "C" players in all employee meetings. Employees have lost trust in their leadership. The turnover used to be low. Now everyone is leaving. And they are not the "C" players. They are the people that are marketable and that don't have to put up with being treated poorly. A new HR person was hired to come in and fire people. That's been made known to the so called "masses". They are all ruthless and without integrity.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company. Examine the real "C" players, especially that small core who have been here forever that are old school oldies but oldies. Quit protecting them. They do nothing to help advance the company. Pay attention to people. The real people. The execs are only in it for the equity.

Arrogant, incompetent senior management

Vice President (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsPeople are great, business is rebounding

ConsSenior management (c-suite) are all horrible. Need to take their IPO winnings and leave the company to more professional management. No professional HR practices exist. What CEO / founder wants, he gets.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourselves! Atmosphere is too political. Need to start acting like a $500M-$1B company with professional senior managers. This isn't a startup being run out of your garage anymore.

Run

Human Resource (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsSomewhat good benefits...Otherwise theres nothing

ConsOverworked, underpaid, micro managed forget about time with your family. No loyalty at the company

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce number of managers gain trust in employees

No direction, bad management

IT Manager (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsThere are very talented employees.
    Nice facilities

ConsOld employees in the company hold innovation. Systems are old and obsolete.. New talent employees are shut down with their ideas.
    Senior management are afraid to make decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementStop procrastination, take this company to the next level. Fired bad managers.
    Take control, stop having incompetent people making decisions

Worked for Green Dot? Contribute to the Community!