Green Dot Public Schools

Updated September 29, 2014

Sabrina Ayala

An incredible journey

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Green Dot Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Noble mission
    Devoted management
    Passionate colleagues
    Inspiring culture
    Focused on what's best for kids/students

Cons

Never enough time to get all the work done.

Consider ways to make it a more family-friendly work environment.

Really passionate company

I worked at Green Dot Public Schools as an intern

Pros

Some really smart and inspiring people working for this company. I was only here as an intern for a couple of months but I liked how passionate the people are here. Everybody seems to love what they were doing.

Cons

My boss was a great person but was always doing work outside of the office, so I was basically left alone the entire internship. I learned the most when I was shadowing my boss but that only happened once or twice, I spent the vast majority of the internship sitting in a room by myself.

The worst teaching job I ever had.

Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Green Dot Public Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The teachers you work with are amazing. The pay is good.

Cons

The admin and some of the students make this job a misery. Students can curse and throw things at you and little is done. The union is very soft and has a no strike clause. The evaluation system is very slanted for admin to review you however they choose.

Put teachers first and your organization will be much more successful because more of them will stay.

Hearts in the Right Place, Priorities Could Use Alignment

I have been working at Green Dot Public Schools

Pros

Great people, wonderful cause, lots of passion to help underserved students in downtrodden urban schools in Los Angeles and beyond. As an employee, the benefits are excellent.

Cons

Green Dot rarely stops to make a Big Plan or take a long hard look at the Big Picture. Instead: Lots of reaction. The tail often wags the dog. Little synergy between departments; at times it feels like group of small countries, each battling to stay independent.

Establish an organization-wide vision for growth, then steer the priorities of each department into alignment with it.

Great company with great people

I have been working at Green Dot Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the most dedicated peers I have had the pleasure to work with have been at Green Dot. Company is small enough that you can work with and learn from any department you want.

Cons

The company needs to remember that education and the communities we serve are our most important priorities. Sabrina Ayala is listed as the CEO on this site, she is the CFO.

Remember what the core mission is

The students are great, the teachers are great, the CMO and leadership is terrible.

Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Green Dot Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The students are great and the communities that are served by Green Dot are vibrant and rich places. The growth and achievement of the young people you get to know is inspirational!

Cons

A lot of nepotism goes on here. Sisters, brothers, friends, and fiancees will get promoted when other highly qualified people get overlooked. Worse of all, some of the best teachers and leaders will leave and/or get removed simply to open up a new position for someone who is "in" the circle.

Slow to trust and empower new employees, safe place to do steady work.

I have been working at Green Dot Public Schools full-time

Pros

Once you've been there a while then your job is very secure.
    Most employees genuinely believe in the mission.
    Green Dot is doing innovative work in the field of teacher effectiveness.

Cons

It takes at least a year to win the respect of managers.
    Numerous promotions from within mean that Green Dot personnel don't really have an idea of how the real world is.
    When Green Dot has an employee who just doesn't get the work done, instead of managing them better or letting them go, they simply persist in the job, forever. You can spend a great deal of time working around these folks.

Try to listen to your employees. Increase review frequency and make feedback ok, starting with yourselves.

Good learning experience on how to deal with unexpected situations, just like any part of my life i have to adapt.

Former Employee - Assistant in Inglewood, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant in Inglewood, CA

I worked at Green Dot Public Schools

Pros

The bonds i made between co-workers are ever lasting. Skill in communications influencing my abilities to reason with others easily.

Cons

Unreasonable pay for the amount of work being done. Some workers choice to come to work late without any consequences.