Green Dot Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.2
Steve Streit

Pros
  • people are great, facility is nice (in 4 reviews)

• Moving to the new, customized Pasadena headquarters created more positive energy in the work environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Revolving door for c-level people (in 5 reviews)

• New leadership terminated (not lay-offs) a lot of employees this year and now the morale is low but hopefully it will pick up (in 3 reviews)

1. Positive Corporate Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool coworkers, nice office space, fairly flexible schedule, and room for growth

Cons

A few bad eggs who are stubborn about change

2. Good Company

Current Employee - Training & Content Specialist in Valencia, CA
    Current Employee - Training & Content Specialist in Valencia, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work, team oriented and good management.

Cons

Communication between departments was a little tough.

Advice to Management

N/A

Aug 31, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

Thank you for your feedback and insight. Your review informs us of what we are doing well and how we can become an even better company. We are excited that you are enjoying your time at Green Dot.

Take heed! Run away! There are better opportunties!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevenson Ranch, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevenson Ranch, CA

I worked at Green Dot (More than a year)

Pros

I honestly cannot think of one!

Cons

It's very sad, this company is so far off track there is little hope that it will ever see it's full potential. The CEO is a broadcaster by trade and has no business background; he's arrogant and when they DO hire quality people with opinions that differ from his myopic views, they get fired or "leave on their own" wink.. wink... The half hearted responses that you see here from the Green Dot "Employee Communications and Culture Team" are simply bad attempts at damage control. They are clueless as to the true issues at hand. The environment is toxic, upper management is always looking to point a finger when things go wrong. Their complete lack of understanding of processes and their team's job descriptions drives the finger pointing mentality. I am being brutality honest here, and as the sayings go, "The truth hurts" and the "Truth Shall Set You Free". Go elsewhere, you will dodge a bullet.

Advice to Management

Wake Up!

Project manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

lots of change for better; great vibes

Cons

Benefit is not up to today's standards; such is 401K . The industry standard is 100% match up to 6%.

Advice to Management

Communication, transparency, better benefits

Jul 23, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. Our benefits are part of a complete total rewards package. We offer medical, dental and vision insurance, short and long-term disability, tuition reimbursement ... More

Technical Program Manager

Current Employee - Technology in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Technology in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*Fun work environment *Low premium for medical benefits *product development

Cons

*middle and senior leadership exercise favoritism when it comes to promotions * executive leadership is incompetent.....none of the leaders are strategic *product and program management are treating as the same role in this company *many of the program managers are just 'task' masters *the CEO and COO are incompetent snobs

Advice to Management

clean out the Rovi leaders (program mgt.,product management, and technical operations

Jul 6, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

Thank you for providing insight about your experience at Green Dot. As a current employee we invite you to express your concerns to the Human Resources team or anonymously through the employee ... More

Great Vibe

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Pros

Luv the people I work with! The culture has really come a long way -- having more fun at work! But still getting the job done! :)

Cons

Some employees still like the Green Dot from the past -- small company, manual process, know everyone cause it's only 200 employees. These employees need to embrace the new and improved Green Dot!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! It's really paying off! There's a better vibe in the hallways, employees are excited to be working at Green Dot.

Jun 30, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

Your enthusiasm is contagious! Thank you for your feedback. We are happy you are enjoying your time at Green Dot.

decent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

cool products chance to work for the company that pioneered the industry accomplishments acknowledged lots of my friends work here (: firm values diversity. female General Managers and senior executives, female & african american board members, cto is (? hispanic with asian name? blackspanic? something) on and on

Cons

be careful of negative reviews from people who were FIRED for being TERRIBLE. Do not fall for it. Green Dot may call them 'lay offs' for legal reasons. But we breathe sighs of relief when these people are gone and more qualified replacements arrive!!!! I am not on the technology side but we heard the horror stories of how it was. I was one of the people suffering blowback from customers 3 years ago when the products kept failing and IT kept going down. Who WHO is longing for those days !!?!!!!! Our customers were so angry in those days WHY would you miss THAT?!!!?

Advice to Management

Keep at it. I find it hard to believe people here are missing the old days. Does not make sense. Our customers were so upset with us in those days. Who are these people did they really work here !??!

Jun 10, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

Thank you for sharing your positive experiences. Your feedback provides us with valuable insight on areas that will make us a better company as we grow and expand. We appreciate the time and ... More

Bad culture, Bad management, Bad Strategy, All around BAD

Former Employee - Web Developer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Potential for cool products (risk averse management currently has neither the patience nor the ability to realize that potential). Undervalued, talented employees in Palo Alto. New management would do wonders for morale and productivity. Ability to progress on relationships only and not actually do any valuable work. Developers are free to use new technologies (provided you don't mind being constantly second guessed). Free snacks. Leaving the company was a very pleasant experience thanks to HR department.

Cons

Annual reviews, whether good or bad, do not matter to managers come review time. If your manager likes you, you'll get a good raise, period. Hard work is not recognized, had my manager tell me "all you do is get your work done" as if that was a bad thing. Butt-in-chair organization (BIC), working remotely as a developer is frowned upon. Product management is in disarray due to poor strategy and the constantly changing vision of C-level execs due to their ADD, fear of risk, inexperience, and willingness to say "Yes" constantly.

Advice to Management

Remember that company you bought in Palo Alto, you killed it when you bought it. And by killing it, I mean you literally killed that company and its progressive, team/product building culture. Steve Streit, you are an emperor with no clothes, your employees and Wall Street know it, time to move on.

Jul 6, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

We are sorry to hear of your experience, but thankful you have taken the time to share your thoughts.

Run, run, run the other way!

I have been working at Green Dot full-time

Pros

Only pro is pay and a few long term associates that have managed to navigate the crazy with some success.

Cons

Executive team is horrible (like eat their young horrible). They are not willing to make business decisions and do not empower employees. No corporate vision, strategy or plan. Constant power struggles and back stabbing at the highest levels. Typical behavior involves demeaning and belittling employees. Executive team successfully promotes a culture of fear. The company has been relatively successful despite leadership.

Advice to Management

None; cant fix crazy and can't fix stupid!

Jul 6, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

We sincerely appreciate your perspective and feedback. We strongly encourage you to contact Human Resources and/or utilize the Green Dot Employee hotline to anonymously or openly express your ... More

Good Company, Good Compensation, Horrible Leadership.

Former Employee - Software Professional in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Software Professional in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All lost in last few years.

Cons

Group of discarded people brought from a shutdown business to drive the technology team. Corrupt technology leadership lack definition of software architecture and justifying their paycheck by defaming the people who built the real technology foundation of this company.

Advice to Management

Identify the chain of slackers sitting in every team connected to the top. How to identify? Have them get interviewed by an external team of neutral highly technical consultants. It is about time for them to be shown the door. Clean the house and hire best people from Microsoft, Google, Amazon......

Jun 10, 2015 – Employee Communications and Culture Specialist

We value insight from past employees as it helps us identify areas that can be enhanced in addition to what we are doing well. Over the years, we have gained top talent from various professional ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed