Green Dot Reviews

Reset

Living HELL...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I guess that would be the healthcare which im sure will be cut off soon.

Cons

Where to begin. My manager was horrible couldnt even tell me what was expected of me then later wrote a list of things that i didnt do. All the co workers are 2 face playing the game behind your back while all along they are telling your manager what you say to protect themselves. No one knows whats going on around there. Everyone is running around like a chicken for what little money you do get. Forget raises thats only 2% thats if you kissed the right butt . Otherwise your looking at nothing and long days with no hope for any kind of change

Advice to Management

Just let the company go. Not sure where it went wrong but it wasnt this bad a few years ago.

I hate my job! Everyday it's a sickening deterioration of myself.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Starbucks coffee and the witty handful of co-workers that get me through my day.

Cons

It becomes frustrating when you get reprimanded for your outfit but the lead falling asleep at her desk is never fired, the co-workers that do not have any positive input to the team constantly are a disruption, and your manager will not take any initiative to lead the team without consent of her puppet master. Politics over job qualifications, that's what gets you promoted. They prefer a person of the lowest order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation to promote because you'll obey anything they say, without questioning it.

Advice to Management

Get the balls to address lazy and incompetent leads and peers.

A very smart group of engineers working together as a real team

Former Employee - Performance Engineer in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Performance Engineer in Monrovia, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Knowledge sharing and credibility

Cons

Management was a little disconnect with the employees, specially after going public

Advice to Management

Need to show the employees that they do care

good learning experience at great price

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- good learning experience - decent pay and some good co-workers

Cons

- incapable CEO - incapable IT management all coming from the same previous company and not based on qualifications. they seem to be more interested in politics and making room for their ex-coworkers - work is done with short term vision and 'it is good for now' attitude, resulting in re-write pretty much every year - more political games are played and less work is done by the IT management - instead of fixing the issues, problems are hidden under new process and procedures - lot of good people left and more are on their way out. low employee morale. - management talks about transparency but it seems to only apply to employees - poor communication between different groups and no clear vision

Advice to Management

to any board member that cares: lot of people are complaining about the same thing around the same time and that has to mean something. it is still not too late to fix what is broken

DO NOT WORK HERE!!!

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Spent +5 years at GDOT Hard working, smart and friendly co-workers

Cons

Management team is a mess with incredible turnover over the last ~2 years (President, COO, CFO, CIO & CMO) The best people have left post-IPO including former CFO CEO is a great founder but the wrong person to lead the company at this point GDOT is known to hire people and then get rid of them within 3-6 months

Advice to Management

Replace CEO with someone that has led a public company. Immediately replace Chief Revenue Officer -- he is completely inept, overall bad person, always looking for the next subordinate he can launch under the bus and only cares about maintaining his job rather than working hard / developing talent

opportunity at a price

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time

Pros

This is a company with a good balance sheet and a large customer base. The people at the company on the whole are the best part of working there. Employees want to work hard and be successful. There is definitely opportunity if you are motivated and driven.

Cons

Since the IPO, majority of the senior leadership that got the company to where it is have departed. There have been a lot of growing pains. Some large projects started and then stopped. Company culture is fear-based. A lot of turnover; esp. talented people have left. Morale is low. Hiring is erratic.

Advice to Management

Many employees are loyal and work hard but are not valued as they should be. Retention is an issue. Management and leadership need to improve.

learned alot

Former Employee - Project Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

people are great, facility is nice

Cons

work life balance is a challenge

Green Dot was the place to be

Former Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries (I was always fairly paid), Reasonable work/life balance for the most part, Modern office space (beautiful, lots of light, very convenient for Pasadena folks), Overall smart people (which kept me working there for 5+ years).

Cons

Unstable company (has had several rounds of layoffs and is under great competitive pressure), Inconsistent leadership (much of the C-level has changed within the past 1.5 years as well as SOME leadership has minimal experience for their job title), Reduced benefits for managers and support staff (not matching 401K, reduced company events or even work lunches (also within past year).

Advice to Management

While the CEO is passionate about the company, this passion tends to stiffen creativity within the teams. Most people want to work on his projects only because budgets and resources are pulled for everything else (unless it's Walmart). While Green Dot would like to be seen as an entrepreneurial tech company, it needs to have a more mature outlook of what can grow its business.

mix of people, disorganized vision

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- friendly office culture - catered food - flexible work hours & location - some smart, hard-working co-workers - positive attitudes

Cons

- political - disorganized - some of the leadership is in over their head, keep getting promoted even though they cant do their job - unclear vision (never fully explained and constantly changes) - teams seem imbalanced - some employees do not feel accountable for their work - lots of miscommunications between teams - not great for career development - benefits get taken away to boost stock price

This Is My Review.

Current Employee - Developer in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good pay for software developers and Quality Assurance. Better than pay at other local companies. Yes we all talk to each other it is easy to compare. This site (pasadena) is better than monrovia site we were at, everyone is in the same building today. Feels like one company.

Cons

not sure how it is at other companies, here it feels like we have to get everything reviewed now. This leads to higher quality yet more hoops to jump through. Though it is obvious when someone does not follow process because things break like the days when I started. Unstable code from India, this adds extra qa cycles. IT Managers debating over who gets to use Chinese teams instead, trained employees there instead of contract.

Advice to Management

A 12 month roadmap was shown a few weeks ago in an IT division meeting. By cto and program management Vice President. I have been here 5+ years it is the first time I have seen an annual roadmap! This was a good thing and new! Management: morale and understanding of our path would be such higher, if there was more of this. Company wide, other VPs need to share long term plans. We feel more comfort knowing there is a plan. Rumor is: company is scared roadmaps will leak outside or competitors, so no roadmaps or plans are shared. But it was like lights went on when we were shown this. We feel there is a plan. Now members of our stack are asking about it and excited. Stack should not mean silo, make sure everyone knows the plan even for other stacks. Seeing it changed things positively. For me and a few others at least.

RSS Feed </> Embed