Green Dot Reviews

80 reviews filtered by

learned alot

Former Employee - Project Manager in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

people are great, facility is nice

Cons

work life balance is a challenge

Green Dot was the place to be

Former Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries (I was always fairly paid), Reasonable work/life balance for the most part, Modern office space (beautiful, lots of light, very convenient for Pasadena folks), Overall smart people (which kept me working there for 5+ years).

Cons

Unstable company (has had several rounds of layoffs and is under great competitive pressure), Inconsistent leadership (much of the C-level has changed within the past 1.5 years as well as SOME leadership has minimal experience for their job title), Reduced benefits for managers and support staff (not matching 401K, reduced company events or even work lunches (also within past year).

Advice to Management

While the CEO is passionate about the company, this passion tends to stiffen creativity within the teams. Most people want to work on his projects only because budgets and resources are pulled for everything else (unless it's Walmart). While Green Dot would like to be seen as an entrepreneurial tech company, it needs to have a more mature outlook of what can grow its business.

mix of people, disorganized vision

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- friendly office culture
    - catered food
    - flexible work hours & location
    - some smart, hard-working co-workers
    - positive attitudes

Cons

- political
    - disorganized
    - some of the leadership is in over their head, keep getting promoted even though they cant do their job
    - unclear vision (never fully explained and constantly changes)
    - teams seem imbalanced
    - some employees do not feel accountable for their work
    - lots of miscommunications between teams
    - not great for career development
    - benefits get taken away to boost stock price

This Is My Review.

Current Employee - Developer in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Developer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good pay for software developers and Quality Assurance. Better than pay at other local companies. Yes we all talk to each other it is easy to compare. This site (pasadena) is better than monrovia site we were at, everyone is in the same building today. Feels like one company.

Cons

not sure how it is at other companies, here it feels like we have to get everything reviewed now. This leads to higher quality yet more hoops to jump through. Though it is obvious when someone does not follow process because things break like the days when I started.

Unstable code from India, this adds extra qa cycles. IT Managers debating over who gets to use Chinese teams instead, trained employees there instead of contract.

Advice to Management

A 12 month roadmap was shown a few weeks ago in an IT division meeting. By cto and program management Vice President. I have been here 5+ years it is the first time I have seen an annual roadmap! This was a good thing and new!

Management: morale and understanding of our path would be such higher, if there was more of this.

Company wide, other VPs need to share long term plans. We feel more comfort knowing there is a plan. Rumor is: company is scared roadmaps will leak outside or competitors, so no roadmaps or plans are shared. But it was like lights went on when we were shown this. We feel there is a plan. Now members of our stack are asking about it and excited. Stack should not mean silo, make sure everyone knows the plan even for other stacks. Seeing it changed things positively. For me and a few others at least.

So far, so good!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits -- good pricing of health benefits. New executive management team has potential. Good atmosphere to work in -- building is nice and space is pleasing to work in.

Cons

Bring back the 401k match! Better communication -- celebrate successes. Employees should be finding out from company not reading about it in a press release.

Advice to Management

Realize that change isn't easy but it's inevitable.

hopeful

Current Employee - Product in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Product in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is the kind of place where- if you want it to happen you can make it happen. Easy to make friends here. High energy. Most of the negative types have left- so it does not feel heavy here anymore.

Cons

A lot LOT of changes this year. Performance-based layoffs which impacted morale- but the teams have been rebuilt and are larger in most cases so the bandwidth is there. Challenging to have one huge customer who can call the shots.

Advice to Management

The internal vibe here - people laughing in the lunchroom, new agile teams racing around together to solve problems, seeing the CEO dressed up as a pilgrim reciting poems on thanskgiving - does not match the negative vibe expressed on this site. I know we trimmed the bottom performers on every team this year - maybe they are all here. We don't miss you guys. Stock is up over 100% since last year and revenue is up noticeably and partners have stopped griping about outages that crippled them last year- yes we are doing terribly without you.

Needs improvement

Current Employee - IT Pro in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - IT Pro in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free fruit. Coworkers are helpful and friendly. There are(were?) a lot of talented it people.

Cons

Employees with talent/experience have been leaving at a fast pace, and the skills and experience they had are not being replaced. The company seems to be promoting finger pointing and ass covering, rather than risk taking and innovation.

Advice to Management

Figure out why the talented people keep leaving and stop it. We are a technology company, and its much cheaper to keep talent than it is to find it.

"It Is Not All Bad"

Current Employee - Technology in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Technology in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, hardworking people
    Open modern work environment
    Ping Pong game to relieve stress
    Flexibility whenever employees need to take care of personal business
    Shared knowledge cross-fuctionally
    Excellent med/dental benefits w/low monthly premiums....PPO is very good!
    An abundance of collaboration work areas and flat screen TVs throughout the building
    Salary is very competitive, even in comparison to larger companies

Cons

Many employees are negative in their thinking, which spreads Venom throughout the company and this makes it hard to remain positive
    New leadership terminated (not lay-offs) a lot of employees this year and now the morale is low but hopefully it will pick up
    The 401(k) matching has been suspended for almost one year now
    It is hard to please everyone
    ******My advice to employees "if you are so unhappy here, please do the employees with a good attitude a favor, and find employment elsewhere"***** we just want to work and make the best of this situation

Advice to Management

The hardest part is behind you, so look forward to better days

Also be patient with employees because we are not idiots and we are here by choice and we want to help you achieve organizational goals

There are ups and downs here, not all ups but not all downs, neutral

Current Employee - non-IT pm in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - non-IT pm in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented people, really nice facility, seen as leaders in the space, can learn much about the industry

Cons

The product managers are pretty bad, Inflated titles, untouchable old timers, some not all, finance group needs work. Meetings go on for hours at times. If CEO does not trust you he micromanages you to death.

Advice to Management

Train the product managers. Teach them how to talk to customers and set expectations. Sometimes customers need to be managed too. Help business team learn how their products work. Management if you really read these sites: Fix the product teams. Start at the top and work down. A person having a pretty face should not be their only requirement for GM. Better input will improve the output. Please focus more on business development or finding another walmart-sized customer. Wish I could rate higher

Easy Hours

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice place, good parking, regular work hours (at least for my dept)

Cons

Changing projects and very little information. A lot of secrets / closed doors with VP’s. Work is not appreciated and no longer one IT team. My managers are most focused on the number of bugs in Jira verses trying to fixing issues with developers (much different than my last company) We are told to only work our standard 40 hours because it is developers fault for being late. It makes me feel bad that I leave and developers are still there. I once volunteered to do extra testing and my manager was very upset because our VP did not want to support the project.

My VP talks loud and we heard him talking about waiting to get paid. That him and the others which came in with the CTO all have a signed agreement which promises a HUGE amount of money if they company goes under, sold or if they get fired. So they are all waiting for this to happen..and this is why they don’t seem to care if we get stuff done or not.

Advice to Management

Wake up…you should get someone who is not part CTO friends to talk to employees. Most my co-workers in IT feel the same way but are just too scared to say something. I am not as I found a new job. This was a good place to work before.