Green Dot

www.greendot.com
Employer Engaged

Was a better place to work 4-5 years ago.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Still a growing company. Promotions from within can still happen if you are politically savvy.

Cons

Revolving door for c-level people. Politics increasing as size increases. Benefits reduced in the last year.

Steve should stick to the 40,000 foot view and stop trying to be an entrepreneur in a $750MM publicly-traded company.

Was a booming company 3 years ago when I was there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monrovia, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits when I was there, but I heard some of those have been rolled back.

Cons

It's not an 8 to 5 kind of place. The industry is evolving and so is the complexity of the products... and to stay relevant new features and products need to be worked on.

Be careful with toxic attitudes in the mgmt team.

mixed bag

Current Employee - Vice President in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, for the most part

Cons

Tough market, and inconsistent direction

Stuck in an intersection between a mature organization and an amateur one

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Compensation
    - Benefits
    - Opportunity for staff who can be balanced in both discipline and creativity as long as they have the courage
    - Usage of current technology (not oldest, though not latest bleeding edge)
    - Free fruits every morning

Cons

- Constant divide between staff who are qualified versus staff who want to marginalize others
    - Abundant number of middle managers and technology leads who either avoid accountability for decisions or make decisions based on what makes them look better
    - Excessive meetings that serve no progressive purpose

The company is in flux between its startup "we want to do with what we like" mentality versus the mature "we need to do what's best for the interest of the company's future" given the constraints present today.

Be cautious of staff who blurs factual information and relies heavily on forcing you to make decisions based on how they manipulate your emotions via their "convincing" skills.

Talent Exodus

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

None that other bay-area companies don’t already offer.

Cons

Constant layoffs of talented engineers, no focus on engineering and development. Too much politics and red-tape.

I was part of an acquisition couple of years ago. Management dismantled talented group of engineers and most of the qualified people chose or was forced to leave including the chief architect. I waited, took my retention and walked out.

Serious challenges

Current Employee - Call Center in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Call Center in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

co-workers are professional and take pride in work, have good knowledge of industry and products
    decent facilities

Cons

senior leadership in over their heads
    lack of strategic direction - lack of focus leads to inefficiencies
    legal/regulatory troubles ahead due to scams involving MP product
    board of directors not acting in best interest of company

time for the entrepreneurs to turn the company over to experienced business leaders

No culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- gym on site.
    - there are some people who know what they are doing.

Cons

- Everybody's titles are inflated when compared to the scope of work they actually do.
    - Lack of flexibility. Time cards are watched with a magnifying glass and if you are salary, they are more concerned about facetime than your quality of work and ability to meet deadlines.
    - No 401K matching. This is due to an effort to cut costs. Would be better to fire upper management who don't add value to the company and are compensated heavily for nothing. That would lower costs too.
    - High attrition rate.

Too top heavy. Clean house to make sure upper management is qualified and actually does their job. Promote some sort of work culture with better work life balance.

I could not wait for it to be over.

Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Monrovia, CA
    Former Contractor - Software Engineer in Monrovia, CA

I worked at Green Dot as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

No pros that you would not get elsewhere. Some good people, good learning experience etc.

Cons

Very unpleasant work environment. Management team is full of their selves.

I would say get some training but I think they are beyond that at this point. Right people should have been placed in the right place years ago. Now it is very hard to correct the inefficient, power struggle dominated culture. Let's put it this way, I sold my green dot stock shortly I left the company and I would not buy it again (unless they change direction of course)

Unfortunately, the negative reviews are true

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is good and office is nice. CEO is very friendly and funny. He chats with staff.
    Good company events

Cons

It's like yelp I would give a 0 star if possible... Awful IT team to work for...very very very inexperienced technology leadership team

Most of the Senior IT Leadership Team are from a shutdown business unit of a Santa Monica company...first time head of technology is inexperienced and has hired most his colleagues from more junior positions. I have high hopes that the leadership team will turn around.

There has been multiple rounds of layoffs....the worst experience I have ever seen in my professional career was a senior database dev manager being walked out with a box of her personal belongings because of an record locking issue which caused a brief outage....QA manager caught laughing with CTO.

I can't recommend this place as it has become cold and heartless

CEO - Find new CTO
    CTO - Focus on gaining leadership skills, many good books and videos on internet
    CFO - Focus on stabilizing Financials and getting another large customer

Managed by a seemingly funny ego maniac Steve streit!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time

Pros

nice office but the place is cold and the unhappy vibe is everywhere, free fruit and coffee, good parking and decent medical benefits

Cons

The company only exists because they provide a product that a bunch of unemployed poor people need to survive. Otherwise, there are tons of problems with their products and lots of complaints.
    the morale is the worst than any place I ve worked at. Everyone i know is looking for a way out of this place - they just dont want to lose the paycheck. Most of the projects are terminated after significant amount of work went into them. The best and more creative people have been leaving this place as Steve Streit is not ever going to tolerate any innovative/disruptive ideas from anyone (unless the ideas came from him). Or if you contradict his thinking, he is just gonna tell you to shut up and do as he says or you will be fired. Great place, Ha?
    This place is really pathetic, you will not want to stay here more than 6 months. The rest are bottom of the barrel and brown-nosing Steve, while secretly hating the guy. The top management have been there for many years and are so old school and often incompetent, dont even show up for work or sitting in their executive wing ruling the place like we are still in 2000...
     There's not much to be said, this place is going down. Stay away - you will feel suffocated in this place and hate going to work every morning... enough said....

read the cons and wake up! start valuing your employees and let them actually do their jobs right