Green Dot Reviews

Updated August 11, 2014
Updated August 11, 2014

2.3

Steve Streit

Pros
  • people are great, facility is nice (in 4 reviews)

• Good benefits when I was there, but I heard some of those have been rolled back (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a good example of what C-Level should be like (in 5 reviews)

• New leadership terminated (not lay-offs) a lot of employees this year and now the morale is low but hopefully it will pick up (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Didn't live up to its potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- There are some very bright people who believe in the product and are genuinely interested in significantly contributing to the company's success.

- Moving to the new, customized Pasadena headquarters created more positive energy in the work environment.

Cons

- The CEO doesn't ever let go control of the reigns. This high touch, micro-management business approach leads to significant discontent in the workplace.

- The executive team touts that employees are allowed to speak up and push back when project tasks and timelines become unreasonable. However, in practice, management is intolerant of anyone not stepping in line with management's directives.

- Morale has been declining in the company for more than two years, which makes it tough to spend 40+ hours/wk at the office.

- The CEO is intolerant of anyone who questions his judgment. Therefore, many executives who were brought on board as change agents were either asked to leave or left in short order because the CEO made a promise for change that he didn't intend to keep.

Come out of the executive office more often and take more cues from what the employees are saying.

I could not wait for it to be over.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Monrovia, CA

I worked at Green Dot as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

No pros that you would not get elsewhere. Some good people, good learning experience etc.

Cons

Very unpleasant work environment. Management team is full of their selves.

I would say get some training but I think they are beyond that at this point. Right people should have been placed in the right place years ago. Now it is very hard to correct the inefficient, power struggle dominated culture. Let's put it this way, I sold my green dot stock shortly I left the company and I would not buy it again (unless they change direction of course)

Managed by a seemingly funny ego maniac Steve streit!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time

Pros

nice office but the place is cold and the unhappy vibe is everywhere, free fruit and coffee, good parking and decent medical benefits

Cons

The company only exists because they provide a product that a bunch of unemployed poor people need to survive. Otherwise, there are tons of problems with their products and lots of complaints.
    the morale is the worst than any place I ve worked at. Everyone i know is looking for a way out of this place - they just dont want to lose the paycheck. Most of the projects are terminated after significant amount of work went into them. The best and more creative people have been leaving this place as Steve Streit is not ever going to tolerate any innovative/disruptive ideas from anyone (unless the ideas came from him). Or if you contradict his thinking, he is just gonna tell you to shut up and do as he says or you will be fired. Great place, Ha?
    This place is really pathetic, you will not want to stay here more than 6 months. The rest are bottom of the barrel and brown-nosing Steve, while secretly hating the guy. The top management have been there for many years and are so old school and often incompetent, dont even show up for work or sitting in their executive wing ruling the place like we are still in 2000...
     There's not much to be said, this place is going down. Stay away - you will feel suffocated in this place and hate going to work every morning... enough said....

read the cons and wake up! start valuing your employees and let them actually do their jobs right

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience, poor management. No long term direction

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A Good place to learn

Cons

micromanaged, constant layoffs, shifting C-level yes men

stablize upper management before you clean out the non "A players"

Unfortunately, the negative reviews are true

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is good and office is nice. CEO is very friendly and funny. He chats with staff.
    Good company events

Cons

It's like yelp I would give a 0 star if possible... Awful IT team to work for...very very very inexperienced technology leadership team

Most of the Senior IT Leadership Team are from a shutdown business unit of a Santa Monica company...first time head of technology is inexperienced and has hired most his colleagues from more junior positions. I have high hopes that the leadership team will turn around.

There has been multiple rounds of layoffs....the worst experience I have ever seen in my professional career was a senior database dev manager being walked out with a box of her personal belongings because of an record locking issue which caused a brief outage....QA manager caught laughing with CTO.

I can't recommend this place as it has become cold and heartless

CEO - Find new CTO
    CTO - Focus on gaining leadership skills, many good books and videos on internet
    CFO - Focus on stabilizing Financials and getting another large customer

Weak, disconnected executives with huge egos

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time for more than a year

Pros

New office environment makes the place feel like a real company.
    Great, talented employees keep the work interesting.
    ESPP program is a guaranteed profit.

Cons

No tolerance for opinions which do not match executive leadership.
    CEO and Executives are 100% disconnected from employee input and what it takes to run a company.
    For example, within a week of the CEO being informed of negative reviews on this site, three glowing reviews appear. All long winded, talking about "change" and bashing previous and some current employees. Coincidence? He has the right to include his opinion, but when he instructs his subordinates to write positive reviews, it is clear that he isn't listening and does not care to listen.

Steve, your people don't believe in you. They talk behind your back, snicker and make jokes about you, and complain that your dictatorship stifles innovation and collaboration. This is true for employees at all levels, even your darling lieutenants and GMs you put your trust in. We all hear the stories.

A once exciting company, now a very sad one.........

Current Employee - Sr  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Sr in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free fruit that hasn't yet been taken away like every other benefit has been.

Cons

A new regime of technology leaders who are all from the same inner circle who blame all of the past Green Dotters for everything that is wrong: "old Green Dot". Why are there more network outages now with the "new Green Dot" than ever before? At some point you have to quit blaming the old Green Dot. Wake up and look around. Oh and if one guy in IT leadership goes, they all go. The company will be held hostage with no IT management.

Quit treating your employees poorly. Pay attention to morale. Get a senior leadership team with integrity. The only reason people stay is due to the money. Nothing else.

Run

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No pros. Benefits good but vacation is questioned so why offer vacation !!!!

Cons

Bad pay ! Micro managed ! Workload insane !!! Not respected managers treat employees like crap!!!!

Let the company go !!!

it's exciting to witness the positive changes firsthand

Current Employee - Employee  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of innovative people here, passionate about the customer experience and moving things forward.
    Most people seem vested in doing what is required to transform the company into a class-leading powerhouse.
    It's amazing to do something that directly impacts the lives of +millions+ of people every single day.
    Many of the 'old guard' have been transitioned out, especially on the technology & product sides. A lot of the disengaged & people accustomed to in-office retirement have followed them out the door. Some of them have apparently taken up shop on this site, which is better than having them at Green Dot!
    Compensation and off-cycle rewards are noteworthy for people who go above & beyond the call of duty

Cons

You do need to be accustomed to working hard if you want to be successful here. This doesn't mean working insane hours. It does mean investing time more diligently and effectively.
    Not the place for those seeking the 11a-4p "social club" sort of job. If you don't like working 40 hrs per week, your team mates will vote you off the island.

Green Dot is a company undergoing positive transformation. New teams, new sites, new products, new customers, and new sources of revenue. Luckily the numbers are speaking for themselves. Change is hard, but keep pushing for it. Question everything. Don't default to protecting someone or assuming they are critical to the business based upon accolades earned 5 or 10 years ago & never again since. It's a different company now, with a refined mission. Take it seriously. Our customers and partners demand and deserve it.

Positive Changes at Green Dot

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time for more than a year

Pros

There have been a lot of changes at Green Dot since I joined. The technology leadership understands tough decisions that have to be made and are making them. If you work hard, you will be recognized and rewarded. If you're a slacker, your days are numbered. Culture is also evolving for the better. Company pays well and offices are nice.

Cons

Growing pains. A lot of change is happening causing some uncertainty. You're going to have to work hard -- this is not a place you can coast and you will be challenged. However, if you're an A-player, you're going to stand out.

Many of the changes you're making now are going to pay dividends down the road. It's growing pains and quite painful but weeding out the dead weight and putting good folks in leadership positions will be the key to your future success.

Worked for Green Dot? Contribute to the Community!