Green Dot

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
2.1

Steve Streit

Pros
  • people are great, facility is nice (in 4 reviews)

• Fast paced environment pushes one to fine tune skills (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a good example of what C-Level should be like (in 5 reviews)

• New leadership terminated (not lay-offs) a lot of employees this year and now the morale is low but hopefully it will pick up (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Was a better place to work 4-5 years ago.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Still a growing company. Promotions from within can still happen if you are politically savvy.

Cons

Revolving door for c-level people. Politics increasing as size increases. Benefits reduced in the last year.

Steve should stick to the 40,000 foot view and stop trying to be an entrepreneur in a $750MM publicly-traded company.

mixed bag

Current Employee - Vice President in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, for the most part

Cons

Tough market, and inconsistent direction

Stuck in an intersection between a mature organization and an amateur one

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Compensation
    - Benefits
    - Opportunity for staff who can be balanced in both discipline and creativity as long as they have the courage
    - Usage of current technology (not oldest, though not latest bleeding edge)
    - Free fruits every morning

Cons

- Constant divide between staff who are qualified versus staff who want to marginalize others
    - Abundant number of middle managers and technology leads who either avoid accountability for decisions or make decisions based on what makes them look better
    - Excessive meetings that serve no progressive purpose

The company is in flux between its startup "we want to do with what we like" mentality versus the mature "we need to do what's best for the interest of the company's future" given the constraints present today.

Be cautious of staff who blurs factual information and relies heavily on forcing you to make decisions based on how they manipulate your emotions via their "convincing" skills.

Talent Exodus

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None that other bay-area companies don’t already offer.

Cons

Constant layoffs of talented engineers, no focus on engineering and development. Too much politics and red-tape.

I was part of an acquisition couple of years ago. Management dismantled talented group of engineers and most of the qualified people chose or was forced to leave including the chief architect. I waited, took my retention and walked out.

No culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- gym on site.
    - there are some people who know what they are doing.

Cons

- Everybody's titles are inflated when compared to the scope of work they actually do.
    - Lack of flexibility. Time cards are watched with a magnifying glass and if you are salary, they are more concerned about facetime than your quality of work and ability to meet deadlines.
    - No 401K matching. This is due to an effort to cut costs. Would be better to fire upper management who don't add value to the company and are compensated heavily for nothing. That would lower costs too.
    - High attrition rate.

Too top heavy. Clean house to make sure upper management is qualified and actually does their job. Promote some sort of work culture with better work life balance.

I could not wait for it to be over.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Monrovia, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Monrovia, CA

I worked at Green Dot as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

No pros that you would not get elsewhere. Some good people, good learning experience etc.

Cons

Very unpleasant work environment. Management team is full of their selves.

I would say get some training but I think they are beyond that at this point. Right people should have been placed in the right place years ago. Now it is very hard to correct the inefficient, power struggle dominated culture. Let's put it this way, I sold my green dot stock shortly I left the company and I would not buy it again (unless they change direction of course)

Serious challenges

Current Employee - Call Center in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Call Center in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

co-workers are professional and take pride in work, have good knowledge of industry and products
    decent facilities

Cons

senior leadership in over their heads
    lack of strategic direction - lack of focus leads to inefficiencies
    legal/regulatory troubles ahead due to scams involving MP product
    board of directors not acting in best interest of company

time for the entrepreneurs to turn the company over to experienced business leaders

Didn't live up to its potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Green Dot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- There are some very bright people who believe in the product and are genuinely interested in significantly contributing to the company's success.

- Moving to the new, customized Pasadena headquarters created more positive energy in the work environment.

Cons

- The CEO doesn't ever let go control of the reigns. This high touch, micro-management business approach leads to significant discontent in the workplace.

- The executive team touts that employees are allowed to speak up and push back when project tasks and timelines become unreasonable. However, in practice, management is intolerant of anyone not stepping in line with management's directives.

- Morale has been declining in the company for more than two years, which makes it tough to spend 40+ hours/wk at the office.

- The CEO is intolerant of anyone who questions his judgment. Therefore, many executives who were brought on board as change agents were either asked to leave or left in short order because the CEO made a promise for change that he didn't intend to keep.

Come out of the executive office more often and take more cues from what the employees are saying.

Positive Changes at Green Dot

Current Employee - Senior Director in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There have been a lot of changes at Green Dot since I joined. The technology leadership understands tough decisions that have to be made and are making them. If you work hard, you will be recognized and rewarded. If you're a slacker, your days are numbered. Culture is also evolving for the better. Company pays well and offices are nice.

Cons

Growing pains. A lot of change is happening causing some uncertainty. You're going to have to work hard -- this is not a place you can coast and you will be challenged. However, if you're an A-player, you're going to stand out.

Many of the changes you're making now are going to pay dividends down the road. It's growing pains and quite painful but weeding out the dead weight and putting good folks in leadership positions will be the key to your future success.

So far, very promising

Current Employee - Vice President in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Green Dot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is embracing change. I have been through several similar transitions from a start-up culture to an enterprise culture, and I would say this one is better than average. There are a lot of people who want to hold on to the neat start-up mentality - it's fun. But you can't really be a big company and play around. The company is going agile, which means always focusing on the tasks that produce the most gain. Sometimes it means using a boring platform or tool because the "new, fun and exciting" tool won't support the shear increase in traffic and sales, but it means really knowing your tools and your job and every day feeling good about making a product that really helps people.

Cons

There are a lot of original Green Dotters still here that are concerned with the pace of change. Some of them tend to be very negative. There are also a few people who had it easy, but now have to work to keep up. There is a lot of tension as they realize the definition of a good job is changing, and they have to decide if they want to step up and change with the company. Our systems aren't really built to handle our growth, so we play catch up a lot.

Nothing I haven't already heard you say. Slow down a little, remember that growing bigger so fast is hard when you are invested in a much smaller vision and mission, and not all your people are having an easy time thinking bigger.