Green Hills Software

Green Hills Software Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dan O'Dowd

Rewarding career, beautiful place to live.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsInteresting, challenging projects with meaningful real world impact, personal ownership of products with substantial autonomy in how to implement and improve their features. Located in downtown Santa Barbara, which has perfect weather nearly year round and great amenities for a small city.

ConsExpensive real estate. Could use larger engineering staff. Frequent side tasks can be a source of distractions from current project.

Overall it's a interesting place to work, with lots of good things going for it.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsFlexible schedule
    Fully Stocked Kitchen
    Good Benefits
    Smart Staff
    Great downtown location and a stable company to work for in a small town.

ConsSometimes the department heads can be micro managers. The employees aren't always kept apprised of the success of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should consider ways to improve the advancement of employees whom have been with the company for a long time.

Pretty good place to work, if you like to hack all day without interpersonal interaction.

Systems Software Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsSanta Barbara is a wonderful city to live and work in, and GHS lets you set your own hours (within reason) such that you can take advantage of the awesomeness of the city. Go to the beach to play volleyball or tan in the daytime, and come back and code all evening.

ConsThe developers consist mostly of antisocial and awkward individuals, more so than at other companies. They tend to be very nice and well-meaning people, but some people might not want to spend time with co-workers out of the office, though the city is small enough that its difficult not to.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employees more in the loop regarding the issues that they've been voicing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company Great People

ProsExcellent place to work with a great location

ConsSanta Barbara is and expensive city to live in

Great First-Job out of School

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThere are some really amazing hackers here
    One of the few places to work on really low-level compiler OS code
    Your code is used for critical software, from missiles to pace-makers to nuclear reactors
    Amazing recruiting process

ConsIt's all proprietary software used mostly by the military and large companies. The technology you is a bit insular - this is not twitter.
    My first boss was absolutely incredible -- I enjoyed getting up and working for/with him. But then he left and was replaced with someone who was not quite as stellar. It makes a big difference motivation-wise.
    I got the feeling that the company was on a downhill slide as I was leaving. I'm sure it will remain stable and profitable but it seems like less of an exciting place to be than when I first joined.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if Dan O'Dowd walked around a bit more and said hello to his engineers.

Worked for Green Hills Software? Contribute to the Community!