Green Schoolhouse Series

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lee Mitchell

Amazing concept quickly gone bad when people (sales, construction) realized they actually need to work...

Sponsorship Sales (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsBuilding a safe place for children to go to after school. This in itself is enough reason to feel good about a career here.

Contrary to what the negative reviews says, I felt leadership was very honest and transparent (maybe too transparent). It was up to us how to react to it, although a few of my coworkers opted to just complain about it and make work miserable, which is why I left.

ConsIt was very frustrating working through all the changes. Every monday I went into the office wondering what was going to change next. Even though the changes were explained and (most) made sense, I was always uncertian as to what the main focus was.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis place was an amazing work environment when I joined. Quickly turned sour when the sales team, myself included, failed to bring in the sponsorships. I'll be the first to admint the process was a complex sale that was over my head.

My advice is to 1] hire people that can articulate this complex sales platform 2] hire a construction manager that understands how to make a construction budget instead of counting calories and taking selfies all day

Strong senior leadership, learned more than I did in college. Fun, rewarding experience.

Administrative (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsGreen Schoolhouse Series has smart senior management. CEO is bright, creative, and energetic. Unique business model allows creative input from staff. Very sensitive to staff's personal needs. Flex hours. Solid people.

ConsUnderfunded. Needs major money to really make this work. I know leadership put everything they had into this, but building schools is not cheap. Especially the way they are doing it with sustainibility so high on their list. Sales staff is poor. They need good, experienced salespeople.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind money. Lots of it. And use it to find high quality salespeople who want to work and do the job. Hire only people who are serious, not ones who are more interested in making friends than working hard to make this work. Need money to do that. You get what you pay for.

Pay the employees, then build something great

Corporate Sales Manager (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsThe work they did on The Safari is nothing short of amazing. Tried to build a team culture in the office. Building a very green, technologically advanced school, predominantly via sponsorship monies, is remarkable. The vision for Cause Marketing, and what it could be, is excellent. CEO has a very strategic vision to make this a success.

ConsWhere to begin. To be clear, former employees are owed TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars in compensation. If you are looking to work or invest with them (EVP Global, Cause and Effect), be sure to do your research on the .

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-paying the compensation owed to the staff members would be an excellent start. For the years spent selling, there wasn't a ton of training and coaching, specifically after the (way too long) power point presentation. Also, take down that silly Facebook page.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I suspect the recent 5 star reviews were written by the CEO and posse

Sponsorship Sales (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat concept on the surface.

ConsPlain and simple CEO and founding members are dishonest.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet honest and stop the scam.

Good business model and management, but needs more capital to fourish.

Public Relations and Marketing (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsSenior managers have passion and perseverance. Treat employees right. Very unselfish. Managing partners are kind, fair and honest. Concept is genius. Build schools with funding from corporate sponsors.

ConsNeeds more funding to hire right salespeople, sales managers, and business support team. The partners put all their savings in but need more. This model needs money to make money.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind venture capital. Hire right people. Pay them well. Get rid of dead weight employees. Don't hire salespeople who can't sell.

Strong Management, Great Platform, Intriguing Experience

Sponsorship Sales/Manager (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsSmart platform. Joining a cause and effect is where this world will be shortly. Firm and fair managers. Intelligent, honest, credible leaders. Like most say, truly a great concept. Very creative, progressive, cerebral environment. Good direction. Excellent training if you care enough to truly listen and not just tell them how 'you used to do it when you were successful in the 90s'. Loved our front lobby executive support team! Great potential if you really want to succeed and work for it. Glad to see first school completed! Congrats!!! Owners/Managers put hundreds of thousands of their own money in this.

ConsLike most start-ups, not well funded causing multiple issues. Probably slightly ahead of its time (which for a start-up company is not good). Very focused on attempting to hire high level staff, although without proper funding, it's a challenging position to be in. Too many shifts. Couldn't afford high level people consistently (especially sales and accounting) so had too much turnover and no one could gain momentum.

Advice to Senior ManagementWaited months to share, but I need to. Instead of boot-strapping with you own money (God Bless You), find outside investors and fund this properly. Otherwise, you'll always get washed up personnel, especially salespeople. Your sales staff did you in. You get what you pay for. If you hire young, make sure they are willing to work and not just there to find friends. If you hire mature, make sure they are not burned out. I was young, and honestly, because of family commitments, could not do more than 6-8 hours per day. I admit it. Maybe more flex time, although if you have sales reps that are more interested in walks around the building, showing up late, leaving early, office gossip, and looking at videos on-line than making calls, it won't work.

A good idea gone bad...

Sponsorship Sales (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsThe Green Schoolhouse Series (aka Cause and Effect Worldwide/Evolutions) is an amazing concept with a strong backing of some well known Partners. They successfully completed the first school in Phoenix Arizona... the first of its kind.

ConsFor the years of experience they have, the management seemed ill equipped to handle the duties. Routinely micromanaged sales staff and created an environment of distrust. Did little to move sales forward.

Do your research on them. Multiple judgments against them for unpaid wages, rent, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementEven with a solid financial backing (hopefully you'll pay us!), success will not be attained without some improved management skills.

Bad management

Sponsorship Sales (Former Employee)

ProsGreat concept, good partners involved

ConsBad management, unethical, overworks staff, low income

stay away! terrible management and rampant lies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

Prosworking for a company which promotes a strong cause in creating an educational and after school program for low income children

Consdaily meetings, micromanagement, inept management, not paying employees commissions. They are a scam and will lure you in with promises of a stable company that helps children. Move forward three months when they can't pay employees on signed contracts and start massive firings. Furthermore they expect you to work more than 60 hours per week and shame people who can't. Shame on you green schoolhouse

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how to manage instead of telling people to read the secret for inspiration. lame!

FRAUDULENT Company....Inept CEO...A disgrace to the Cause Marketing Industry!

Corporate Partnership Manager (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsBuilding a sustainable school for underserved children is a great cause. It's what draws us all in. However, not paying the employees or fulfilling the deliverables contractually promised to the Corporate Sponsors is reprehensible.

ConsIt takes a while to see behind the curtain, but when you do, you see that It's all smoke and mirrors. The CEO is unqualified to run an organization. He has done enough, just barely enough, to make his lies plausible. A few deliverables here, a few there, but when you dig deeper, you see that that's it! Sponsors are not getting close to their promised marketing and PR.

As for the Employees, here's a novel idea...PAY THEM! The sales team was misled from the beginning. A small base salary and Large Commissions were promised, but defaulted on. As soon as the pipeline filled up, he stopped paying the base salary that was promised and he cleared the team before they could claim their commissions. This has happened again and again. Bring in a new team, and by the time they start figuring out what's real and what's BS, cut them loose.

The CEO is more concerned about his image than fulfilling his commitments. Right now there are only the 3 Executives, 2 admin and 1 salesman in the office. So, think about that when you read the next positive review on Glassdoor. They are praising themselves (or having their admin do it) in an effort to keep the image up.

The lack of integrity and blatant disregard for the efforts and investments made by the employees, school districts and sponsors is, again, reprehensable. The company is riddled with fraudulent behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementPAY YOUR EMPLOYEES! They have earned every cent!

Shame on you. You have taken a fabulous cause and soiled it with your gross financial neglect and mismanagement.

Worked for Green Schoolhouse Series? Contribute to the Community!