Greenberg Traurig

Updated October 27, 2014
Updated October 27, 2014

Greenberg Traurig President Mathew B Gorson
Mathew B Gorson

Pros
  • Great opportunities, great people, if you're willing to put in the work you will be rewarded (in 3 reviews)

• They have some excellent lawyers there and some pretty well-known ones (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is good if you happen to work with good attorneys, which I do (in 3 reviews)

• All attorneys are also tagged with an incredibly high overhead (close to (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Finest Firm with which I am Familiar.

Former Employee - Senior Associate Attorney in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Attorney in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Greenberg Traurig full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent, exciting, direct casework; Outstanding national training; Honestly wonderful colleagues. Associates that complain have either found a truly heavenly firm (e.g., all but perfect) or have not worked at another firm... IMHO.

Cons

No office in my home town, to which I had to move under penalty of my wife (i.e., her wants or the job).

Welcome those back who left under circumstances messy at the time, but since fixed and ready to continue where they quit.

Entrepreneurial for Partners, Ok for Associates

I have been working at Greenberg Traurig

Pros

Partners (or Shareholders, in GT lingo) are very bottom line focused - their compensation is very much based on revenues collected from their clients. If you keep this in mind, you will have a very good understanding of what goes on there. Unlike most big firms, therefore, facetime is considerably less important, office politics is a minor annoyance, and just being a big talker won't get you far.

Cons

Associates are not allowed to bring in business, and are at the mercy of the partners. Although true of most firms, it is difficult to get credit for hours worked when the billing partners routinely write them off to satisfy penny pinching clients.

Hard workers who are creative strategists are welcome here!

Current Employee - Department Head
    Current Employee - Department Head

I have been working at Greenberg Traurig full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Culture of creative ideas, recognition for those ideas, administrative dept heads are terrific people, a place that, if it's for you, will be the last job you ever hold

Cons

High health care costs, experiences may vary in individual offices due to varieties of office managers note: Matt Gorson has never been CEO. It is R. Rosenbaum.

Assess local office managers carefully. Contribute more to health care for family coverage, work on consistent job titles

5star

Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Communications Specialist in Miami, FL

I worked at Greenberg Traurig full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is the best place to work if the 'legal life' is your first love. If you don't plan on this being your career, then you will not be happy.period.
    Lot's of opportunity is available for sincere hard working individuals.

Cons

Firms family oriented culture is/has changed...not good for the regular/hourly paid staff.

I was an experienced legal executive assistant/secretary to a partner and an associate.

I worked at Greenberg Traurig

Pros

I liked the workplace environment. I was brought up to work hard so my work ethic blended well with their culture there. They had a decent pay structure and good benefits. They had good supporting staff that helped out when asked.

Cons

I ended up working too much overtime so they assumed I'd always be there late all the time. They need to allow/give more vacation time/time off.

Everyone is on the same team. I'm all for a good hard day's work. It's nice to get paid well for it. Earning more vacation time is important.

Torture!

I have been working at Greenberg Traurig as a contractor

Pros

Big fat zero, unless uou are one of the business director's sycophants!

Cons

Hard work, no bonuses or raises...asked to give up raise so shareholders could get their huge bonuses, rudeness and defiance rewarded while loyalty and commitment ignored. COMPLETE nepotism. If you are not a shareholder who can bring in serious clients with money, don't even bother.....

Completely overhaul all "managers"

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Greenberg Traurig

Pros

Great benefits. Great Job security.

Cons

Don't have any at this time.

Great place to work

I have been working at Greenberg Traurig

Pros

Very good atmosphere and nice environment

Cons

I do not have any cons

Run .... no, really ... RUN

Former Employee - Attorney
    Former Employee - Attorney

I worked at Greenberg Traurig full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you look hard enough you'll find some smart and nice lawyers. The staff is generally pretty nice. They are awesome at spinning a story about how great the platform is - and why everyone else who left (with their crazy high turnover) wasn't able to take advantage of the awesome platform (as they spin it). If Jack is your ethics hero, then you'll love it.

Cons

I was a counsel at GT for over 5 years. I believed the sales job they did on how great the platform was and how collegial it was. It didn't take long for the horror of my mistake to kick in. Like others, I ran into a culture of very sharp elbows. Their platform was certainly not any better in terms of getting business than my prior platform - in fact it tended to be more of a negative because the reputation for quality and ethics was terrible. There are three levels of shareholder; the lowest level SH and counsel are a far cry from the highest.. The low level SH and counsel end up being paid about 15-20% of their collections. It would not be unusual to collect over $1M on origination and be paid less than an associate. All attorneys are also tagged with an incredibly high overhead (close to $300k per year) while not actually getting any resources for that money. Some of the staff indicate that the attorneys have it good and they don't; well I would say it is probably top shareholders that have it well, lower tier shareholders, counsel and associates do not.

Fire yourselves.

Come in to learn and then leave. No opportunities for growth.

I have been working at Greenberg Traurig

Pros

Good opportunity to learn what you can.

Cons

The office culture is challenging and difficult to understand. Very political.

Office culture is negative. Lack of communication

Greenberg Traurig Photos

Outside the Greenberg Traurig headquarter office located in Miami, FL (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.38)

+ Add Photo