Greene King

Greene King Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Greene King Chief Executive Rooney Anand

Rooney Anand

Fantastic learning curve with very little hand holding

Market Manager (Current Employee)
Bury St Edmunds, England (UK)

I have been working at Greene King full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat products, great benefits, opportunities for progression if you're hungry

Consshort-termism creates restrictions on strategic thinking and longer-term planning

Good company as long as your commited

Licence (Current Employee)
Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Greene King full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood carer path with ample opportunity for progression. I have worked for them for nearly 20 years. The share save option is not to be missed out on. The salary is fair but the overall job can be very stressfull. The pros however do outweigh the cons.

ConsLive in means your never off duty unless your out of the country! The biggest problem is the lack off employable people that live in this country, yes there's a lot unemployed but they either don't want a job or they want one on their terms.

Terrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Scarborough, England (UK)

I worked at Greene King full-time for less than a year

ProsNone unless you like being bullied.

Consover worked, underpaid, rude and abusive staff, risk to the public

Advice to Senior Managementopen your eyes and spend more time hands on instead of leaving it to kids to tell you what is going on so they twist it to suit themselves

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible experience, Understaffed, unorganised, Underpaid

Bartender (Former Employee)
Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I worked at Greene King part-time for more than a year

ProsThe only pros to this company were the social aspect of the job, getting to know regular customers

ConsStressful job, they expect the world from you -minimum wage, constantly understaff, no extra pay on bank holidays (INCLUDING XMAS DAY) The two years I worked for the company I was told I had to work Xmas & other holidays usually 2 of the following xmas eve, xmas day, new years eve, new years day or the staff would be threatened to have their hours cut after the xmas period when business slows down. Despite having contracted hours, many employees were told they would have to finish early due to quiet periods which would result in contract hours not being met

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking in a pub you can only really report to the mangers and they make it difficult to contact anybody higher. There were rewards schemes but most of the time the managers would not implement them. After I decided to look for a new job, I jumped at the first opportunity that came. If the managers interacted more prehaps GreenKing could reduce their staff turnover.

appalling, corrupt company

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Newcastle under Lyme, England (UK)

I worked at Greene King full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthere are no pros working for this company , especially hungry horse brand

Conscorrupt management, unhelpful head office

Advice to Senior Managementbasically forced out of employment with greeneking , over a falling out with a general manager, payroll and head office extremely unhelpful , and held pay, just to be awkward.

Worst time of my life

Bottling Operator (Former Employee)
Bury St Edmunds, England (UK)

I worked at Greene King as a contractor for less than a year

ProsReasonable pay. Brewery work has status.

ConsLack of support & training. Bullying management. "outsiders" treated badly and forced out.

Advice to Senior ManagementComplete overhaul needed. Theft is rife - with a culture of turning a blind eye.
There are serious issues with integrating new staff as "outsiders" can be sent to coventry and even forced out.
Racism is not taken seriously by HR

Must be living in a "Greene" world

Manager (Current Employee)
Stratford-upon-Avon, England (UK)

I have been working at Greene King full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStaff discounts, training (if your lucky), working whilst looking for a better job

ConsStupid hours - VERY low Pay - Stressed and depressed managers - high staff turnover - it's like a communist dictatorship

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to senior management - list to the staff and managers on the front line and support rather than criticise

Dont ever work for this joke of an 'organisation'

Retail Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Greene King full-time for less than a year

ProsBuilding a fun team around you that makes the day bearable until the BDM decides to visit and either lech at your female staff or shout at people

ConsEverything, Zero work life balance, unachievable targets (nobody earns a bonus, at least not at site level), disgusting accomodation, expectation to work 7 days a week, ever moving targets, shocking training, poor head office support, incompetent area managers. The list goes on. The worst year of my life, do not do it!!

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your area managers who are on the whole incompetent lecherous buffoons. Look after your retail managers, they are the ones doing the work. Get a grip of your business, think local and realise you are losing customers day after day

Almost Slavery

Supervisor (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Greene King full-time for more than a year

ProsCan not see any pro

ConsEndless Hours, Terrible wage,NO Bonusses, NO career prospective, NO benefits, friends and relatives of GM getting paid for hours they didn't work

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees and your employees might respect you

Overworked, underpaid and ill-treated

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Greene King full-time for more than a year

ProsGood training on offer. Good staff discount.

ConsLong hours and little pay. Seen people driven out by managers and area managers. Never got any thanks for my work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter working conditions for management.

Worked for Greene King? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Greene King reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Greene King CEO Rooney Anand. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Greene King employees.