Greene King

Updated March 4, 2015
2.3

Greene King Chief Executive Rooney Anand
Rooney Anand

Not the best, not the worst

Current Employee - 'Supervisor' With the Duties of An Assistant General Manager
    Current Employee - 'Supervisor' With the Duties of An Assistant General Manager

I have been working at Greene King full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay, Staff discount card (only available after 6 month's service), chance to work with some really nice people.

Cons

BDM was very distant and rarely seen. Went for a period 6 weeks without seeing him at one stage and when he did show face, ignored me and staff members, was only interested in the GM. On a rare occasion when he came into the pub he spent 30 mins on the pub floor screaming, swearing and shouting to what I can only assume was a GM of another site. I was absolutely appalled, as were the paying customers who were in the pub at the time. Real next level shocking behaviour.
    The GM went on holiday for a week and I was left in sole charge of the pub with not a peep from the BDM. Even when I emailed him to say I had to close the business early one evening due to some wreckage of the pub by some quite rowdy customers…didn't even have the decency to reply to my email. Never known anything like it.

Head office came to the pub for a drink one evening and one of them was quite rude to a lovely member of staff who couldn't have been nicer. Unacceptable behaviour for a member of senior management to be talking like that to anyone let alone a hard working member of staff who works hard to put money in the tills which in turn, pays his wages. Ridiculous.
    Was promised and promised a pay rise which never came to fruition. Apparently was waiting on the BDM to sign it off. But when he's the type of guy not to give you a nod in the desert, it's no surprise it didn't happen.

Pressure from above to reduce labour costs to an absolute minimum which of course results in a less than average level of service. Then when bad feedback comes back regarding level of service, all hell breaks loose from the BDM. Couldn't win.

Get BDM's to work a shift behind the bar every once in a while, or better yet, managing one of their pubs for a week to remind them what running a pub is really like. Sometimes what looks good on paper isn't necessarily good in practice.

Company ignored allegations of sexual harrasment , company did not adhere to company policy and follow proper procedure

Former Employee - Deputy Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Deputy Manager in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Greene King

Pros

Nothing pro to say company dismissed me under very biased and one sided investigation

Cons

Do not appreciate all the hard work you put in and very low pay

Follow company procedures and dont ignore unlawful allegations

The company is very greedy. No bonuses or anything. Company values? work more for less, do everything for your company.

Current Employee - Bar Staff
    Current Employee - Bar Staff

I have been working at Greene King full-time (more than a year)

Pros

i do like it tho. even they dont pay you any extra, they are flexible with your working hours and holidays.

Cons

You always have to make sure everything is ideal and perfect, even you are working with an old coffee machine and stuff like that.

they have to change an attitude about they'r company. Give more to get more.

Draining

I have been working at Greene King (more than a year)

Pros

Getting to know, and becoming good friends with other employees

Cons

It is revealed how profitable Greene King is as a business however none of this success is filtered down to those contributing to it's success. Minimum wage, no benefits (still having to pay for staff meal), poorly organised rota's, lack of breaks often working over 6 hours without a break, no staff room, expectations to work overtime and celebrations such as Christmas Eve, NYE and New Year's Day with no rewards.

Focus more on what will make the staff happy and become long term employees, reasonable breaks and reasonable pay for the contribution to the company employees put in.

A company that has a proud heritage but...

Current Employee - Head Office in Ipswich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Head Office in Ipswich, England (UK)

I have been working at Greene King full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people, and a real can do attitude. Things move at a very fast pace and there is lots of variety. Great range of brands.
    If you work in the right team, it is fun and like a family.

Cons

A very hectic environment that is run from a very low cost operational point of view. They don't claim to be a 'people is our greatest asset' type of business as they are more honest and only really interested in the bottom line.
    Culture can be very aggressive and not as respectful as you would think. Considering we're a hospitality business, it is very serious and very suited and booted (unless you work out in retail where you can be more relaxed).

Allow people the freedom to do what they do best
    It is a very pressurised environment right now and think there are lots of people who are unhappy
    Try to stop the culture of trying to catch people out. Better to say I'll help you rather than I told you so.
    'Shouty' style of communication needs to change - tigers on emails and kittens in person is not the way to run a people business
    Really look at those higher up - are they really making a difference? How many pints of beer and chips do we need to sell to pay for salaries of people who don't make a difference to the customer

Useless management

Current Employee - Bar Staff in Swansea, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Bar Staff in Swansea, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Greene King full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love the bond you gain with staff and customers. This sort of job really builds confidence and can be really fun. I love the staff card which gives discount off when you have food.

Cons

I was promised a bonus 3 months ago and am still waiting. Even after calling head office and speaking with the area manager.
    My manager of the pub is never there and don't feel like we recieve much support from them.
    Pay is rubbish for the hours that you do and the grief from certain customers.

Ask staff for their opinions more often and follow through with promises. We don't get paid that much so staff who have committed to the job deserve a little praise now and then.

One star is too much

I worked at Greene King

Pros

Dirty disgusting greedy company who operate a shoddy below standard operations steer well clear, no support no management structure just a joke

Cons

Bdms with no clue marketing beyond a joke , training non existent poor product, rushed openings, beware you have been warned

Enjoy any glory while you can you aren't going to last in this climate

An occasional thank you goes a long way

Current Employee - Anonymous in Bury Saint Edmunds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Bury Saint Edmunds, England (UK)

I have been working at Greene King full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you know the right people it has been said you will have a job for life and I quite believe it

Cons

Progression is more about who you know and how well you can flatter management rather than ability.
    Management team are uninspiring, slow to react, don't appear to be engaged with their own teams and what is happening. More interested in making themselves look good.
    Training and development is a joke, all the right things are said to draw in good candidates but only those employees with personal connections to management seem to be given any form of career progression or decent opportunities.
    Same 'favourites' are always the ones that get the benefits and opportunities. Large number of staff seem to be invisible to the management team, who really need to review their choices of 'future stars / star players'... Clearly blind to some pretty disgusting goings on!
    Communication seems to be an issue, not confident with some management decisions that have been made. Issues are not addressed. I have witnessed laziness and inability to do your job to any form of acceptable standard be rewarded by job roles changes and/or promotions on numerous occasions.
    There has been times in my employment that I have been spoken to in such a manor that I would not expect my worst enemy to speak to me in such a way, let alone a colleague.
    Overall lots of issues urgently need addressing to avoid an increase in staff turnover, started with high hopes at this company and now would work anywhere but.

Take some time to review your reputation in the local area. For a huge local employer some of the feedback I have heard from other professionals is not favourable.

Great company, poorly run

Current Employee - Commercial in Bury Saint Edmunds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Commercial in Bury Saint Edmunds, England (UK)

I have been working at Greene King full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good team ethic within departments. Good pension and share scheme.

Cons

Awful pay scales, lower ranks earn rubbish whilst their direct line managers can be on up to 3/4 times more. Rivalry between divisions borders on outright war - with the knowledge and encouragement of top management. Slow to react to new trends - risk averse to the point of indolence. Constantly worrying what wetherspoons are doing.

Dog eat dog only works when you are comfortably at the top. Before then encourage team work - particularly between brewing and pubco.

Wonderful team - hard to achieve kpi's

I have been working at Greene King

Pros

Building up a team, running the business like your own, good training if offered.

Cons

Long hours, unrealistic targets, middle management hierarchy.

Listen and reward more less of the blame culture

Greene King Photos

The Brewers Arms, Herstmonceux (Photo thanks to Geograph user Oast House Archive, Some Rights Reserved)
The Queens Head, Sutton Valence (Photo thanks to Geograph user Oast House Archive, Some Rights Reserved)
The Royal Oak, Lewes (Photo thanks to Geograph user Oast House Archive, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo