Greenfield Belser

www.greenfieldbelser.com

Greenfield Belser Reviews

3.3

Burkey Belser

One of the most unique employment opportunities ever

Former Employee - Web Developer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Washington, DC

I worked at Greenfield Belser full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Continuous advancement. Time after time I saw employees promoted from within. When I started working there I was just a Senior Developer. After a year and a half I was promoted to Tech Lead. Management allowed me to really stretch my wings and try new things. Friday Lunches are what I miss most. Learning from others and being able to share and mentor others. It was here that I discovered my love for public speaking and working directly with clients while still maintaining my role as a developer.

Cons

One of the misconceptions is that management does not listen, however it was stated multiple times that management has an open door policy. I believe that should be stressed more. Most employees hear that and think to themselves "yeah right". From personal experience I know that you can literally walk right into the CFO, VP or President's office at a moment notice and share your ideas, thoughts and concerns.

Mix up the culture a little more, one of the things I never was able to achieve was the idea that designers should sit with developers to help expand the knowledge share.

As long as you play by rules, you'll be just fine. If you want to bring change, don't bother.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Greenfield Belser full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with talented staff, even if for a short time
    Office location

Cons

Inability to bring a fresh perspective
    Senior management
    Constant turn-over

Review processes and allow for people to contribute

Interactive Project Manager

Former Employee - Interactive Project Manager/Producer in Washington, DC

I worked at Greenfield Belser full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people make it a fun place.

Cons

Extremely high turn over...even for an agency. The work isn't exciting because you're building the same website (with a new design) over and over. Hard work doesn't get noticed and I'm not sure I saw anyone get a promotion.

Empower your staff. CEO needs to learn how to avoid temper tantrums. I saw too many people cry at that place.

Best place to start my career... loved it!

Former Employee - Marketing in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Marketing in Washington, DC

I worked at Greenfield Belser as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Cool Office
    - Great perks
    - Fun & creative environment
    - Supportive staff (it's very difficult to dislike anyone)
    - EVERYONE has a sense of humor
    - Amazing learning opportunities
    - Truly a team environment
    - IT Cares!
    - Amazing Culture
    - Very down to earth senior management (This is the only place where I would be able to present a statistical overview to the President on the intern level. That 10-min meeting was a major boost to my confidence.Or even chat with a Principal in the break room in passing.)

Cons

My only con was I could have learned more. The firm is small; they have a lot of clients, so everyone is very busy. I would have liked to learn more about client service and design, and even more about marketing. There wasn't the time or resources to do so.

My amazing supervisors were so busy being amazing, they couldn't teach me much more than the basics.

It's a tough place to get used to. If you don't get used to it, you probably don't belong there anyway.

Also, I was so special that I didn't have a telephone. :-)

- Continue to demand excellence
    - Be honest and open with your employees in a diplomatic way

Stressful environment, but learned a lot - would never go back

I worked at Greenfield Belser

Pros

You can learn a lot but it's going to burn you out very quickly

Cons

Borderline abusive management - I couldn't recommend this as a place to work...

Treat people with respect

Oct 8, 2013HR Assistant

It's difficult to address non-specific negative feedback. However, we will try.

We have an open door policy with at least three (3) members of our staff dedicated to HR matters and especially to
    ... More

Serious Opportunity

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Greenfield Belser full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I came to G/B with a few years of experience, good instincts and an entrepreneurial spirit. In my years with the firm, I've found constant opportunity. I don't believe anyone at G/B is siloed into a single job. Innovation and contribution are highly valued and encouraged from everyone, interns to managers. I've witnessed tremendous growth in many, including myself, in a fun environment that nurtures creativity, engagement and collaboration.

Cons

I believe this goes for most agencies, but G/B is a fast-paced place. I've worked hard but feel acknowledged and rewarded.

An experience that changed the course of my career!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Greenfield Belser full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Greenfield Belser has many great things going for it, great location, wonderful team, perfect size where you have a close relationship with everyone in the office, fun happy hours, educational lunches…but if I have to pick one it would be the experience you gain while at Greenfield Belser. I look back at where I started and feel great about how much I have grown and have learned from everyone in the office, from upper management to every one else in the studio. And that is true for almost everyone who I have worked with through out the years. I know many current and past employee who speak of the value of what they have learned at Greenfield Belser.

The close working relationship among different teams in the studio exposes you to all aspects of the industry, and forces you to constantly keep yourself educated on all related subjects. And Greenfield Belser is certainly a place which highly values education which is one of the main elements of enriching the experience of the employees.

Cons

The client base is not something that might be appealing to everyone. Some might welcome the challenge of designing for professional services, and some might find it limiting.

Many people are involved in the creative process and I know for some designers it has been uncomfortable to have others work on their files, so it is certainly not a place for people who are not comfortable working in teams.

Continue listening and communicating with your team.

A Minion Working For The Man

I worked at Greenfield Belser full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great Co-Workers
    - Gorgeous Office/Location
    - Opportunity to Learn A Lot

Cons

- Big Brother is Everywhere
    - Owner is a Dictator
    - Hardly Room For Creativity or Your Own Opinions

You hire skilled designers and managers. These people are talented. USE THEM TO YOUR BENEFIT. Ask them what they think. Listen to their opinions and ideas... they have some amazing ones and you're missing them.

Great people, but some fundamental flaws.

I have been working at Greenfield Belser as an intern

Pros

As others have said, it's impossible not to learn at Greenfield Belser. Particularly if you're just breaking into the field. You'll learn a ton about workflow, how to design quickly, and how to juggle multiple projects. The ping-pong table in the kitchen and the waterfall are nice touches.

Cons

You will eventually stagnate, however. The projects frequently become repetitive, and truly creative solutions are frequently squashed by senior management. Additionally, there never seemed to be a ton of room for professional growth.

Allow your designers some freedom, allow them to own their designs. Check in with employees in a real fashion with more frequency.

May 21, 2013

A thoughtful post. Because we work for the most part in narrow verticals, the work can seem repetitive but the creative solutions are not bound by that. We all have an opinion about what seems to be ... More

Worked hard and played hard.

Former Employee - Senior Art Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Art Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Greenfield Belser full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

• Incredible culture. Made friends for life while working there.
    • Great place if you are a self starter and enjoy challenges.
    • Salary was very fair. You get what you put in.
    • Interesting and very smart clients. Never a dull moment. There was always a challenge to be solved.
    • Management is very understanding. Not sure what the others are talking about. In my personal experience, management really care about me.

Cons

• Not really a con. Since GB clients tends to be complex, as a Designer you really have to do your research to understand their business. It took me a year to start to understand law marketing.

May 2, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. It is always great to hear that the learning environment and community we set out to create have been effective for an individual. We strive to make every employee's ... More