Greenpath

Greenpath Reviews

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014

Jane E. McNamara

Pros
  • Good benefits, good pay, good managers, and a fun job (in 8 reviews)

• Decent benefits package (although recently this has slowly scaled back) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This is a high-stress, high-expectation call-center environment (in 8 reviews)

• Pay--For a non-profit company, I think the pay is high, because it's in the financial industry (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great organization

Former Employee - Account Maintenance Coordinator in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Account Maintenance Coordinator in Tampa, FL

I worked at Greenpath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

feel like your helping the community

Cons

internal politics are difficult to deal with. mobility not possible unless living in Michigan

disliked the hours and micromanaging of company!

Former Employee - Financial Counselor II in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Counselor II in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Greenpath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed each person that I worked with. I honestly feel that each person even if I didn't know them would help me in regards to situations that I had difficulty with. Enjoyed the fact that I could wear blue jeans everyday, decent pay, decent pto, Everyone there wants you to succeed

Cons

Hours were terrible. Worked 10-7 most nights and 1-10 one night a week. The problem is that they would want you to take a call 40 minutes before you left for the night and most calls took between 1 to 1 1/2 hours to complete and then another 30 minutes to do the write up, so most nights I would end up leaving around 8:00 to 8:30 every night. Didn't like the fact that they looked at how much time you were doing for phone calls and how much time was being used for write ups. I understood why they did that, but it was frustrating because after the phone calls I would ask a lot of questions to my manager to find out and it would affect my numbers and look as if, I purposely was not taking phone calls. Training is decent but the amount you need to learn in a short period time is overwhelming. This job is best for people that do not have families and can devote the hours needed to be successful. Lastly the opportunity to advance is small, since I know people that have worked there for 7-8 years and are still in the same position. Again this is totally my opinion of it and know of people that are happy there, you just need to decide for yourself.

A good place to help people, but it could be even better

Former Employee - Counselor
    Former Employee - Counselor

I worked at Greenpath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The clients. Being able to help people and act as a counselor is very satisfying.

Cons

The company is based out of Detroit and pays a good wage for Michigan. Unfortunately, they are nation wide and do not adjust for the cost of living. Additionally, there is limited upward mobility outside of the Headquarters outside of Detroit.

Cost of living adjustments and more opportunities to do outside charity work would make this a great long term job. Without this it is only a stepping stone.

Good money as a Financial Counselor but very repetitive and not much variety

I worked at Greenpath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most likely you will start as a First Contact Center rep, then move up to an Account Maintenance Coordinator and then if you're still there a Financial Counselor. I hear it's easier to move up now. It is difficult to move out of the call center environment so if you don't like being on the phone 24.7 or having your bathroom breaks timed then this probably isn't the job for you. Great PTO and you get about 20 days once you start working there for 90 days. Health insurance is decent. Training is OK. Enjoy the weeks of training since once you get on the phones, it's basically jumping into a pool of cold water and the relax phase is over. Training does the most they can do I would say but the best way to learn is to just take a call and dive in. Luckily you don't have to take any work home with you working in the call center, except for studying for the certifications you have to obtain as a Financial Counselor, which is fine.

Cons

If you are competing for a role outside of the call center it is very competitive and difficult and there most likely will always be someone there longer and more qualified than you if you're trying to move out. Being a non profit, Greenpath relies on a lot of grants and additional funding so if you're taking HPF calls, make sure not to say something that might anger the management. Otherwise, you'll be fired without warning. Basically HPF controls a big part of our company so you can't anger them. Also we had workforce management employees and their primary role was to email or call you and tell you to stop doing what you're doing, whether you are in middle of notes or about to go to the bathroom, etc. and tell you to take a call. If you don't take a call, they'll email or keep calling you until you do so or they might even send you an email with high importance assuming that this will make a difference. The focus of Greenpath is too much on taking calls and there isn't enough incentive to stay there because they aren't about making their employees happy. Yes, this is a call center but sometimes you are on the phone for 1-2 hours as a financial counselor and you have to go to the bathroom for example or maybe you need to take a break but you basically have to feel bad for doing so. When you go on a 5 minute break and are late from coming back, expect the whole company to know basically since everyone can always see what you're doing, No privacy whatsoever. So if you like to be micromanaged and no privacy, work here! Apparently they think we don't know how to do our job since they are paying someone about $45000 annually to see who isn't on a call and tell them to take one. Also since they are non profit, you aren't able to get commission or be compensated for how many DMP's you set up. So whether you set up 5 or 20 per month, you're treated the same. You might get some candy or be sent an email if you do a good job. You might get a $1000 yearly bonus if you do well, but don't expect better than that. You get burned out pretty quickly in a call center, so luckily they give you enough PTO to stay somewhat sane.

My advice would be before you completely change policies and procedures for the worse such as implementing workforce management employees who would be more useful taking calls versus just looking at queues all day and telling people to take calls, maybe consult your employees first and not just change the whole system without getting any input from us who actually have to implement the changes because it isn't just about taking calls and working us like monkeys. If you want satisfied experienced employees, you might want to think about making us a little bit more happy. It will probably take more than 1 employee appreciation day to do this. Unfortunately, it seems like Greenpath rather just fire all of the experienced employees who know what they're doing and have an overwhelming amount of new people who have no idea so they can basically brainwash them easier. I admit it is a little bit more difficult to teach an old dog new tricks, but how much is it costing you to fire everyone and retrain people off the street. Keep the 20 days of PTO, because without this, you most likely won't have any employees.

Horrible micro-managerial hell hole...totally soul-sucking

Former Employee - Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Greenpath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty new HQ facility with nice perks like café, work-out room, game area...but you won't have time to enjoy any of it while on the clock.

Cons

Once you make it to the role of counselor you won't have an easy time moving past that. There are a lot of politics going on at GreenPath that get in the way of the company's mission. The supervisors and managers are constantly providing conflicting information. They say they aim to be transparent with staff but in reality, nothing is transparent and instead they are actually actively working to pull the wool over the eyes of their staff. They offer a lot of time off, but good luck getting a chance to use it. They frequently "Max Out" days in the calendar even if they aren't actually maxed out. At one point every single day in a three month time frame was maxed out ahead of time and that just happened to coincide with the summer months when all of the management staff wanted to have time off for vacations. The company has restructured their operations three times in five years...it's clear management and company leadership do not know what they are doing. This is a high-stress, high-expectation call-center environment. My advice, if you actually want to work in a call center, go work for Quicken Loans or something and be a mortgage loan salesperson...you'll make way more money than this crummy place.

My advice to the board: instead of cleaning house from the bottom up, it's time for a top-down sweep. You need leadership that actually knows how to successfully run a company while maintaining employee satisfaction and REAL transparency.

Good company, mgmt issues

Former Employee - Certified Credit Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Certified Credit Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Greenpath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work-life balance, some benefits, good entry level.

Cons

compensation, promotion opportunities, annual bonuses and pay increases

Good in theory, not in practice.

Current Employee - Financial Counselor
    Current Employee - Financial Counselor

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Financial counseling offers a free session to all clients seeking advice on dealing with debt. Best of all: its free! Coming from a government background, the thought of working for a non-profit seemed like a good way to cleanse myself from all the red tape. The people were nicer and the managers were helpful. The outlook of the company also seemed promising since they've been in business so long. Time off is generous, 19 days off per year that are ready for use at the beginning of each calendar year.

Cons

The field offices do not get the same support as the corporate office. IN EVERY SINGLE SENSE OF THE WORD. If you work for one of their field offices, you will ALWAYS be second in line for everything, ie, crappy office space (in most cases), crappy internet, etc. Tech support is at corporate and their advice for everything is to "shut down and reboot." There is no REAL attempt to fix anything. Also, with the new structure, account managers answer to managers and not the counselors they are supposed to support. Management is also far away so everything is an email away which can often go unanswered. The corporate office is shiny and new. If you work there (and live in Michigan) you are the golden child of the company, team building events do not extend past Michigan borders. In fact, unless you live in Michigan, if you're a counselor, there is ZERO room for growth. Corporate jobs are not currently enabled for remote employees. Imagine that.

Once upon a time this company was about helping people get out of debt and financial education. It has now turned into milking [insert investor here] for grants at all costs. Do not continue to neglect good employees for the sake of more work and revenue unless you plan on better supporting their needs and hiring more people to handle the work load.

Overall, a great company to work for

Former Employee - Financial Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Greenpath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training, good benefits package, company does its best to do right by its clients, fair assessments; overall positive experience, and okay options for promotion at headquarters.

Cons

Management was very case-by-case. I worked under three different supervisors at my time at GreenPath. One was wonderful, one was okay (though I didn't get the sense she respected me), and one was downright horrible.

Work with management to provide proper training, and take AMC and counselor reviews seriously.

It WAS a great place to work at until the Board sold out.

Current Employee - Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Once the Board terminated 2 of the staff the agency was working towards a goal of helping people

Cons

The Board. They sold out so they could open a foundation to make a name for themselves. Unfortunately they forgot that it was the staff who put that money in the coffers not the Board.

If the agency was still open I would say let the staff do their job, and the Board start doing your job by using your connections to the community to bring the agency to the attention to the other community leaders.

Easy to get burned out

I worked at Greenpath

Pros

I enjoyed for the most part the people I worked with and felt I could communicate with direct management. Also like the on site café.

Cons

At many times promoting a warm body and not qualified candidates. For years there were a number of major upper management problems. It took way too long to correct.