Greenpath Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Jane E. McNamara

Pros
  • Good benefits, good pay, good managers, and a fun job (in 8 reviews)

• Years ago, it had decent benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Call Center and out of touch management (in 8 reviews)

• Pay--For a non-profit company, I think the pay is high, because it's in the financial industry (in 6 reviews)

Customer Care Representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Greenpath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, opportunity for career advancement and growth, and relocation options. Great office and cafeteria for employees with good food

Cons

High Stress, lack of flexibility, lack of interpersonal relationships. Difficulty getting in contact with supervisors, and performance review based on interactions with other co workers

Advice to Management

Allow for more time flexibility for shifts. Dealing with the inbound calls can be stressful, but feeling ownership, and some type of autonomy over my job would have significantly decreased my level of contempt for that particular position.

Jul 17, 2015 – HR Manager

Good Afternoon, Thank you for your feedback and advice. If you have a few minutes I would love to chat further to see how we can improve the experience for our current and future employees ... More

Upper management needs to make changes

Current Employee - Financial Counselor

I have been working at Greenpath

Pros

Co workers are nice, more PTO than most jobs, you get your own workspace, in house cafe. Decent job for a short period of time.

Cons

Evaluation metrics are too complicated and unrealistic, too many supervisors, not much room for advancement after becoming a counselor, stressful and repetitive. Work schedule is not your typical 9-5 due to call center environment.

Advice to Management

Management does not seem to care that so many counselors, especially "veteran counselors" have left the company over the past few months. You should take some tine to find out what has changed within the company thats causing so many people to leave. Part of it is moral. You have managers that are incapable of answering their employee's questions b/c they have not counseled in years. Managers do not appear to do any work and since they have so much time to chat with each other, upper management should consider demoting several managers and put them back on the phones to help with the heavy call volume. Also upper management should be more upfront. There is no reason why employees should have been told the DAY BEFORE an expected raise that the company is struggling, so no one will get raise or retirement contribution until further notice. A lot of employees lost respect for the company after this happened, especially after dedicating at least a couple hours to complete the annual review that ended up being pointless.

decent job to start my career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Greenpath full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lots of new stuff. new building and new IT equipment all throughout my stay. they invest a lot in the company.

Cons

low pay. everything is below industry average as far as pay. some of it gets made up for with lots of PTO and decent benefits. the benefits got worse as i was there.

Advice to Management

a change in CEO. shes been there a long time and doesnt work very hard. never shows her face and hides up in her office on the 5th floor. acts like its an inconvenience to be among the working class.

Jul 17, 2015 – HR Manager

Good afternoon, I would love the opportunity to speak with you for a few minutes regarding your feedback and experiences at GreenPath. Please feel free to contact me at jcrichton@greenpath.com ... More

Extremely poor upper and middle management that hurt what good the employees are trying to do.

Current Employee - Financial Counselor

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, nice cafe, nice gym. There are some great managers who don't play the game distributed throughout the company. If you work within the right department it is a great experience. Good PTO TO MAKE UP for poor PAY and benefits.

Cons

Management is extremely detached and actually acts with contempt towards employees. Directors hide on the 4th floor never to be seen. For a smaller company that is a non profit, this place is run entirely wrong. Management is so disconnected from employees they don't even seem to realize why people are so unhappy. Most of the time you never see management because they are busy hanging out laughing in the cafe or goofing off while their employees aren't afforded the same slack as they are.

Advice to Management

At least pretend you care about your employees. Better yet, stop acting superior to them and actually hear what they have to say. Employees who feel heard will work harder for you. Change management from top down. This behavior of middle management was learned somewhere, and I can guess where.

Jul 17, 2015 – HR Manager

Good afternoon, I would love the opportunity to speak with you for a few minutes regarding your feedback and utilize it to make a positive difference. Please feel free to contact me at ... More

Account Maintenance Cordinator

I worked at Greenpath full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked there for almost 6 years, with most of my time in this role. The company has really re-invented itself and has gone out of its way to try new structures and plans to improve the performance of the company.

Cons

Hardest and least respected position within the company. It has a steep learning curve and the compensation doesn't account for the amount of 'problems' that you have to fix for the clients.

Advice to Management

Focus on giving advancement opportunities to productive employees and focus on holding management accountable for their actions or lack of.

Jun 8, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to speak with you further if you would be willing to contact me. Sincerely, Julie Crichton HR Manager 248-553-5400 x-3930 jcrichton@greenpath.com

ok only for short-term

Former Employee - Financial Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Greenpath (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are cool and are actually there to help people PTO is good. Cafe at headquarters serves good food.

Cons

senior management doesn't care about employees. most of the counseling managers have never been taught how to manage people so some of them are good at it and some of them are not. leadership comes up with changes that they think will work but never talk to the employees to find out if it will actually make anything better.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees

Jun 8, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I would love the opportunity to talk further about your experiences at GreenPath, and utilize that feedback for our employees. Please feel free to contact me at you ... More

Terrible company to work for!!!

I worked at Greenpath full-time

Pros

Decent amount of PTO, benefit package is not bad... Compensation is average.

Cons

Management is inexperienced, "clickish" and their memory fails often. Most of them seems to have been given the position for who they knew rather than for their skills! Is s very strange chain of command that seems to enjoy creating or stirring conflict! Some of the managers at the Immediate Counseling at arrogant and unfriendly. Forget getting promoted... There had been and still are counselors that have been counselors for over 10 years! There's a LOT of talk of how much more worst previous managers were... Some counselors were terminated just because of previous management not agreeing with ideas and wanted to humiliate employees!

Advice to Management

It seems that you tried... Apparently previous management was even more rotten... I suggest you keep an eye on your current management... After all they were trained by the "previous rotten apples" and thus they can remain "stained"...

Jun 8, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I would love the opportunity to learn more about your experiences while working here. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience. Sincerely, Julie Crichton ... More

Financial Counselor/Account Maintenance Coordinator

Former Employee - Financial Counselor/Account Maintenance Coordinator in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Greenpath full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I had some good co-workers who genuinely cared for clients going through financial difficulty.

Cons

Benefits were great when I started, but progressively worsened. Morale is horrible. Company actively seeks to "save money" by "firing" individuals who are meets or exceeds expectations. Company does this by "finding" things that employees do wrong on "subjective" quality forms. (By subjective, you can get the same call reviewed by 3 different people and the scores could be vastly different). Anyone who is close to being vested or vested, they will start to write you up, even if you have routinely been at meets or exceeds expectations. They do not pay any severance. They also actively fight unemployment benefits, and generally lose any challenges posed by former employees. (This is based on several former employees that I am contact with). Greenpath also told me to lie on my unemployment application. They should be investigated. On the bright side, all the individuals I know (8 including myself), are all much happier at our current places of employment and have better morale, even though most of us now have a decrease in pay.

Advice to Management

There is no management. People are promoted through the ranks, often times based on favouritism. With the exception of one manager I had early on, nobody in management had a combination of a degree in business management with actual management experience. The blind lead the blind in Greenpath management. One person who is ill-qualified, trains the people coming up behind them. The CEO is a genuinely nice person, who has no clue how bad morale is. I now work in a what should be a more stressful environment, with worse hours, significantly less pay, with a long commute, and morale is much better with my managers and co-workers. Eight years ago I did refer people to work at Greenpath. Now, I would never refer anyone to this company.

Jun 8, 2015 – HR Manager

All in all a employee centric organization

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay for a non-profit, great training programs, lots of opportunities

Cons

Sometimes if feels as though there are a lot of changes, and not a ton of communication around why. This has seemed to get better over the last six months or so. Recently they had town halls which was nice to hear about what was going on directly from the upper management. I appreciated that even thought it effected the calls that could be taken that they took the time to meet with all employees in a day.

Advice to Management

Keep increasing the communication with all employees. Make sure that the managers are communicating all of the information, and keep the employees informed of what is going on, it is appreciated.

Jun 8, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. If there are any additional thoughts and/or ideas on how we can continue to improve, please do not hesitate to contact me. Sincerely, Julie Crichton HR Manager ... More

Know that the standards may change.

Current Employee - Financial Counselor II in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Financial Counselor II in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training available through the year, helping people resolving debt and/or mortgage issues. While I was there, was close with my team and they seemed like family: good culture at the time.

Cons

Standards can change, which means that a previously high performing counselor (talking to lots of customers per day) might still "need improvement."

Advice to Management

If you want more customers helped, hire more counselors. It's unreasonable to ask more of the people that you have. Eventually, they can't do more. Their performance will suffer, since they are rushed for time, which can affect customer service.

Mar 2, 2015 – HR Manager

Good Afternoon, Thank you for your feedback. I would love the opportunity to gather further feedback from you, should you be open to having a conversation. If so, please contact me at ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed