Greenpath Reviews

Updated March 9, 2015
58 reviews filtered by
3.3
Jane E. McNamara

Pros
  • Good benefits, good pay, good managers, and a fun job (in 8 reviews)

• Decent benefits package (although recently this has slowly scaled back) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This is a high-stress, high-expectation call-center environment (in 8 reviews)

• Pay--For a non-profit company, I think the pay is high, because it's in the financial industry (in 6 reviews)

1. All in all a employee centric organization

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay for a non-profit, great training programs, lots of opportunities

Cons

Sometimes if feels as though there are a lot of changes, and not a ton of communication around why. This has seemed to get better over the last six months or so. Recently they had town halls which was nice to hear about what was going on directly from the upper management. I appreciated that even thought it effected the calls that could be taken that they took the time to meet with all employees in a day.

Advice to Management

Keep increasing the communication with all employees. Make sure that the managers are communicating all of the information, and keep the employees informed of what is going on, it is appreciated.

2. Know that the standards may change.

Current Employee - Financial Counselor II in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Financial Counselor II in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Training available through the year, helping people resolving debt and/or mortgage issues. While I was there, was close with my team and they seemed like family: good culture at the time.

Cons

Standards can change, which means that a previously high performing counselor (talking to lots of customers per day) might still "need improvement."

Advice to Management

If you want more customers helped, hire more counselors. It's unreasonable to ask more of the people that you have. Eventually, they can't do more. Their performance will suffer, since they are rushed for time, which can affect customer service.

Mar 2, 2015HR Manager

Good Afternoon, Thank you for your feedback. I would love the opportunity to gather further feedback from you, should you be open to having a conversation. If so, please contact me at ... More

3. Nice change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have had the opportunity to work for a variety of organizations throughout my career, and by far GreenPath was the best choice I've ever made. It is my first experience working for a non-profit, and working in a smaller organization, and I have to say I absolutely love it. The employees are extremely friendly and helpful. There seems to be a focus on employee development via the tuition reimbursement program and quarterly training programs.

Cons

It can be extremely fast paced and at times it is hard to keep up with the amount of email we receive.

Advice to Management

Educate your employees on why changes are made so that they can gain a better understanding of the need behind the change. This will increase trust and hopeful ease some of the frustrations.

Mar 2, 2015HR Manager

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your feedback and I am excited to see that you are having a positive experience at GreenPath. If I can be of any assistance, or if you have additional feedback that
    ... More

Just recently hired so do not have any reviews quite yet

Current Employee - Account Maintenance Coordinator in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Account Maintenance Coordinator in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Greenpath

Pros

Helping people manage their debt

Cons

Not sure what cons would be so far

Jan 29, 2015HR Manager

Thank you for your review. Please do feel free to reach out if there is anything we can do to make your experience with GreenPath more rewarding!

Don't Stay Too Long

Former Employee - Financial Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Greenpath

Pros

PTO, schedule flexibilty (for the most part), it is a job, great co workers, fairly diverse workforce,

Cons

Lower level management in the customer service department and counseling department are very out of touch, clicky and really what Do they do??? Most of the time it's hard to focus on a call because all you can hear is one male supervisor specifically talking to his other male counterpart. Watching this said male "supervisor" walk around, play air hockey, text on his phone. .. frustrating as a counselor to watch this when we are under a microscope to meet standards. The CEO really needs to look down her lines of leadership or lack there of and reassess their choices in "leaders" but then again GreenPath Management is thengood ole boys club. Also, the company needs to be more forward thinking and proactive rather than the reactive entity it is.

Advice to Management

See above

Feb 5, 2015HR Manager

Good afternoon,

If you would be willing to speak with me, I would love the opportunity to discuss your feedback further.

If you would be willing, please call me at 248-553-5400 x

7. Great organization

Former Employee - Account Maintenance Coordinator in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Account Maintenance Coordinator in Tampa, FL

I worked at Greenpath full-time (more than a year)

Pros

feel like your helping the community

Cons

internal politics are difficult to deal with. mobility not possible unless living in Michigan

Hello there,

I would love the opportunity to hear more feedback from you on things we could have done to improve your experience while working at GreenPath. Please feel free to contact me at any
    ... More

disliked the hours and micromanaging of company!

Former Employee - Financial Counselor II in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Counselor II in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Greenpath full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed each person that I worked with. I honestly feel that each person even if I didn't know them would help me in regards to situations that I had difficulty with. Enjoyed the fact that I could wear blue jeans everyday, decent pay, decent pto, Everyone there wants you to succeed

Cons

Hours were terrible. Worked 10-7 most nights and 1-10 one night a week. The problem is that they would want you to take a call 40 minutes before you left for the night and most calls took between 1 to 1 1/2 hours to complete and then another 30 minutes to do the write up, so most nights I would end up leaving around 8:00 to 8:30 every night. Didn't like the fact that they looked at how much time you were doing for phone calls and how much time was being used for write ups. I understood why they did that, but it was frustrating because after the phone calls I would ask a lot of questions to my manager to find out and it would affect my numbers and look as if, I purposely was not taking phone calls. Training is decent but the amount you need to learn in a short period time is overwhelming. This job is best for people that do not have families and can devote the hours needed to be successful. Lastly the opportunity to advance is small, since I know people that have worked there for 7-8 years and are still in the same position. Again this is totally my opinion of it and know of people that are happy there, you just need to decide for yourself.

Hello there,

I would love the opportunity to hear more feedback from you on things we could have done to improve your experience while working at GreenPath. If you have any suggestions on how we
    ... More

A good place to help people, but it could be even better

Former Employee - Counselor
    Former Employee - Counselor

I worked at Greenpath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The clients. Being able to help people and act as a counselor is very satisfying.

Cons

The company is based out of Detroit and pays a good wage for Michigan. Unfortunately, they are nation wide and do not adjust for the cost of living. Additionally, there is limited upward mobility outside of the Headquarters outside of Detroit.

Advice to Management

Cost of living adjustments and more opportunities to do outside charity work would make this a great long term job. Without this it is only a stepping stone.

Feb 2, 2015HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I would love the opportunity to chat further if you have more ideas on some things we can put in place to make our field positions more rewarding.

Please feel free to
    ... More

Horrible micro-managerial hell hole...totally soul-sucking

Former Employee - Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Greenpath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pretty new HQ facility with nice perks like café, work-out room, game area...but you won't have time to enjoy any of it while on the clock.

Cons

Once you make it to the role of counselor you won't have an easy time moving past that. There are a lot of politics going on at GreenPath that get in the way of the company's mission. The supervisors and managers are constantly providing conflicting information. They say they aim to be transparent with staff but in reality, nothing is transparent and instead they are actually actively working to pull the wool over the eyes of their staff. They offer a lot of time off, but good luck getting a chance to use it. They frequently "Max Out" days in the calendar even if they aren't actually maxed out. At one point every single day in a three month time frame was maxed out ahead of time and that just happened to coincide with the summer months when all of the management staff wanted to have time off for vacations. The company has restructured their operations three times in five years...it's clear management and company leadership do not know what they are doing. This is a high-stress, high-expectation call-center environment. My advice, if you actually want to work in a call center, go work for Quicken Loans or something and be a mortgage loan salesperson...you'll make way more money than this crummy place.

Advice to Management

My advice to the board: instead of cleaning house from the bottom up, it's time for a top-down sweep. You need leadership that actually knows how to successfully run a company while maintaining employee satisfaction and REAL transparency.

11. Good money as a Financial Counselor but very repetitive and not much variety

I worked at Greenpath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most likely you will start as a First Contact Center rep, then move up to an Account Maintenance Coordinator and then if you're still there a Financial Counselor. I hear it's easier to move up now. It is difficult to move out of the call center environment so if you don't like being on the phone 24.7 or having your bathroom breaks timed then this probably isn't the job for you. Great PTO and you get about 20 days once you start working there for 90 days. Health insurance is decent. Training is OK. Enjoy the weeks of training since once you get on the phones, it's basically jumping into a pool of cold water and the relax phase is over. Training does the most they can do I would say but the best way to learn is to just take a call and dive in. Luckily you don't have to take any work home with you working in the call center, except for studying for the certifications you have to obtain as a Financial Counselor, which is fine.

Cons

If you are competing for a role outside of the call center it is very competitive and difficult and there most likely will always be someone there longer and more qualified than you if you're trying to move out. Being a non profit, Greenpath relies on a lot of grants and additional funding so if you're taking HPF calls, make sure not to say something that might anger the management. Otherwise, you'll be fired without warning. Basically HPF controls a big part of our company so you can't anger them. Also we had workforce management employees and their primary role was to email or call you and tell you to stop doing what you're doing, whether you are in middle of notes or about to go to the bathroom, etc. and tell you to take a call. If you don't take a call, they'll email or keep calling you until you do so or they might even send you an email with high importance assuming that this will make a difference. The focus of Greenpath is too much on taking calls and there isn't enough incentive to stay there because they aren't about making their employees happy. Yes, this is a call center but sometimes you are on the phone for 1-2 hours as a financial counselor and you have to go to the bathroom for example or maybe you need to take a break but you basically have to feel bad for doing so. When you go on a 5 minute break and are late from coming back, expect the whole company to know basically since everyone can always see what you're doing, No privacy whatsoever. So if you like to be micromanaged and no privacy, work here! Apparently they think we don't know how to do our job since they are paying someone about $45000 annually to see who isn't on a call and tell them to take one. Also since they are non profit, you aren't able to get commission or be compensated for how many DMP's you set up. So whether you set up 5 or 20 per month, you're treated the same. You might get some candy or be sent an email if you do a good job. You might get a $1000 yearly bonus if you do well, but don't expect better than that. You get burned out pretty quickly in a call center, so luckily they give you enough PTO to stay somewhat sane.

Advice to Management

My advice would be before you completely change policies and procedures for the worse such as implementing workforce management employees who would be more useful taking calls versus just looking at queues all day and telling people to take calls, maybe consult your employees first and not just change the whole system without getting any input from us who actually have to implement the changes because it isn't just about taking calls and working us like monkeys. If you want satisfied experienced employees, you might want to think about making us a little bit more happy. It will probably take more than 1 employee appreciation day to do this. Unfortunately, it seems like Greenpath rather just fire all of the experienced employees who know what they're doing and have an overwhelming amount of new people who have no idea so they can basically brainwash them easier. I admit it is a little bit more difficult to teach an old dog new tricks, but how much is it costing you to fire everyone and retrain people off the street. Keep the 20 days of PTO, because without this, you most likely won't have any employees.