Greenpath Reviews

58 reviews filtered by

1. Good company, mgmt issues

Former Employee - Certified Credit Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Certified Credit Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Greenpath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work-life balance, some benefits, good entry level.

Cons

compensation, promotion opportunities, annual bonuses and pay increases

2. Overall, a great company to work for

Former Employee - Financial Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Greenpath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training, good benefits package, company does its best to do right by its clients, fair assessments; overall positive experience, and okay options for promotion at headquarters.

Cons

Management was very case-by-case. I worked under three different supervisors at my time at GreenPath. One was wonderful, one was okay (though I didn't get the sense she respected me), and one was downright horrible.

Work with management to provide proper training, and take AMC and counselor reviews seriously.

3. Good in theory, not in practice.

Current Employee - Financial Counselor
    Current Employee - Financial Counselor

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Financial counseling offers a free session to all clients seeking advice on dealing with debt. Best of all: its free! Coming from a government background, the thought of working for a non-profit seemed like a good way to cleanse myself from all the red tape. The people were nicer and the managers were helpful. The outlook of the company also seemed promising since they've been in business so long. Time off is generous, 19 days off per year that are ready for use at the beginning of each calendar year.

Cons

The field offices do not get the same support as the corporate office. IN EVERY SINGLE SENSE OF THE WORD. If you work for one of their field offices, you will ALWAYS be second in line for everything, ie, crappy office space (in most cases), crappy internet, etc. Tech support is at corporate and their advice for everything is to "shut down and reboot." There is no REAL attempt to fix anything. Also, with the new structure, account managers answer to managers and not the counselors they are supposed to support. Management is also far away so everything is an email away which can often go unanswered. The corporate office is shiny and new. If you work there (and live in Michigan) you are the golden child of the company, team building events do not extend past Michigan borders. In fact, unless you live in Michigan, if you're a counselor, there is ZERO room for growth. Corporate jobs are not currently enabled for remote employees. Imagine that.

Once upon a time this company was about helping people get out of debt and financial education. It has now turned into milking [insert investor here] for grants at all costs. Do not continue to neglect good employees for the sake of more work and revenue unless you plan on better supporting their needs and hiring more people to handle the work load.

It WAS a great place to work at until the Board sold out.

Current Employee - Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Once the Board terminated 2 of the staff the agency was working towards a goal of helping people

Cons

The Board. They sold out so they could open a foundation to make a name for themselves. Unfortunately they forgot that it was the staff who put that money in the coffers not the Board.

If the agency was still open I would say let the staff do their job, and the Board start doing your job by using your connections to the community to bring the agency to the attention to the other community leaders.

Easy to get burned out

I worked at Greenpath

Pros

I enjoyed for the most part the people I worked with and felt I could communicate with direct management. Also like the on site café.

Cons

At many times promoting a warm body and not qualified candidates. For years there were a number of major upper management problems. It took way too long to correct.

Ok, but not great

I have been working at Greenpath

Pros

Lots of PTO and holidays off

Cons

Call Center and out of touch management

For college grads or working mothers only

I worked at Greenpath

Pros

Decent benefits and has good vacation time and flexible schedules for most job areas in the organization.

Cons

If you are older than 19 and younger than 25 with a degree, it's a good place. If you obtained your degree in basket weaving you could be trained as a account maintenance coordinator or financial counselor. No matter the degree or experience you could be a IT pro or analyst with a degree in Social work. That's a pro and a con.
    These counselors are not true financial professionals at large. There are some that have solid financial backgrounds but very few. Most had maybe 1 or 2 years of mortgage banking. How can a 21 year old advise anyone of housing counseling when they themselves have no experience? Makes for questionable real counseling. However it is a scripted environment so it helps to give the appearance of professional advice.
    The Greenpath practices and systems are not industry wide. That's a positive and a negative. Overall the working environment is good for working mothers or part time workers looking for decent work.
    There is not a heavy diversification and balance within this organization. There is nothing they can do about job opportunities. This is the downfall. Unfortunately most cannot quit their jobs but have quit in their minds. You have to love your job as a counselor or it will not be worth the micromanagement and pay. Other areas in the organization, IT, Administration, Training etc can enjoy normal working hours 8am to 5pm. Counselors have very bad hours unless your in the field offices.
    You don't work a Greenpath to make money, it's non-profit. Choose another place if your looking for compensation for skills and knowledge.

Try your best. It may not be good enough but at least you can invest more in development programs for retention.

A good starting point

I have been working at Greenpath full-time

Pros

Able to gain workplace experience, a good place to start for recent college grads. Also often able to take on additional projects to learn new skills. Decent benefits. Most managers are great, easy to talk to and understanding. Company is willing to listen to employees and make process changes. Great PTO.

Cons

Opportunities to advance limited. Subject to pay cuts. The job can sometimes be pretty stressful.

I have been at GreenPath awhile now it has been moderately decent experience. On a scale of 1-10 may a 7 being generous

Current Employee - Cubicle Slave in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Cubicle Slave in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like my job for the most part and like helping the customers. Management is only human and they have their imperfections just like anyone else but some days the micromanagement can be intense and then the next day everything is back to normal. Its a very strange environment but because I like my job it makes me stay and I probably will stay for years to come. I don't know why but I guess I have grown accustomed to have managers that don't know how to tie their shoe laces. I am not joking I have actually seen them with untied shoe laces but anyway I just kind of roll with everything, even when I don't agree with them all the time and I end up going home at the end of the day and am still in a good mood so it could be a lot worse.

Cons

Management is basically run by a bunch of almost children. They have good intentions but don't always quite understand simple concepts and when you don't agree with them they sometimes blow temper tantrums like when my kid wants to get something and I tell them no.

Don't be so close minded and listen to others.

Decent experience for first job out of college.

Current Employee - Creditor Relations Coordinator in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Creditor Relations Coordinator in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Room for growth and movement within departments, except for competition for management positions. most managers were accessible and approachable. Very team oriented environment, a lot of fun activities for the employees during special occasions and employee appreciation week in the summer.

Cons

communication between upper management and reps could be better, also there were some cliques but for the most part people were friendly. a brand new building was built when money could have probably been spent better or more diligently especially being a credit counseling agency.

Be more transparent with how the company is doing financially.