Greenpath

Greenpath Reviews

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015

Jane E. McNamara

Pros
  • Good benefits, good pay, good managers, and a fun job (in 8 reviews)

• Decent benefits package (although recently this has slowly scaled back) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This is a high-stress, high-expectation call-center environment (in 8 reviews)

• Pay--For a non-profit company, I think the pay is high, because it's in the financial industry (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Easy to get burned out

I worked at Greenpath

Pros

I enjoyed for the most part the people I worked with and felt I could communicate with direct management. Also like the on site café.

Cons

At many times promoting a warm body and not qualified candidates. For years there were a number of major upper management problems. It took way too long to correct.

Ok, but not great

I have been working at Greenpath

Pros

Lots of PTO and holidays off

Cons

Call Center and out of touch management

For college grads or working mothers only

I worked at Greenpath

Pros

Decent benefits and has good vacation time and flexible schedules for most job areas in the organization.

Cons

If you are older than 19 and younger than 25 with a degree, it's a good place. If you obtained your degree in basket weaving you could be trained as a account maintenance coordinator or financial counselor. No matter the degree or experience you could be a IT pro or analyst with a degree in Social work. That's a pro and a con.
    These counselors are not true financial professionals at large. There are some that have solid financial backgrounds but very few. Most had maybe 1 or 2 years of mortgage banking. How can a 21 year old advise anyone of housing counseling when they themselves have no experience? Makes for questionable real counseling. However it is a scripted environment so it helps to give the appearance of professional advice.
    The Greenpath practices and systems are not industry wide. That's a positive and a negative. Overall the working environment is good for working mothers or part time workers looking for decent work.
    There is not a heavy diversification and balance within this organization. There is nothing they can do about job opportunities. This is the downfall. Unfortunately most cannot quit their jobs but have quit in their minds. You have to love your job as a counselor or it will not be worth the micromanagement and pay. Other areas in the organization, IT, Administration, Training etc can enjoy normal working hours 8am to 5pm. Counselors have very bad hours unless your in the field offices.
    You don't work a Greenpath to make money, it's non-profit. Choose another place if your looking for compensation for skills and knowledge.

Try your best. It may not be good enough but at least you can invest more in development programs for retention.

A good starting point

I have been working at Greenpath full-time

Pros

Able to gain workplace experience, a good place to start for recent college grads. Also often able to take on additional projects to learn new skills. Decent benefits. Most managers are great, easy to talk to and understanding. Company is willing to listen to employees and make process changes. Great PTO.

Cons

Opportunities to advance limited. Subject to pay cuts. The job can sometimes be pretty stressful.

I have been at GreenPath awhile now it has been moderately decent experience. On a scale of 1-10 may a 7 being generous

Current Employee - Cubicle Slave in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Cubicle Slave in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like my job for the most part and like helping the customers. Management is only human and they have their imperfections just like anyone else but some days the micromanagement can be intense and then the next day everything is back to normal. Its a very strange environment but because I like my job it makes me stay and I probably will stay for years to come. I don't know why but I guess I have grown accustomed to have managers that don't know how to tie their shoe laces. I am not joking I have actually seen them with untied shoe laces but anyway I just kind of roll with everything, even when I don't agree with them all the time and I end up going home at the end of the day and am still in a good mood so it could be a lot worse.

Cons

Management is basically run by a bunch of almost children. They have good intentions but don't always quite understand simple concepts and when you don't agree with them they sometimes blow temper tantrums like when my kid wants to get something and I tell them no.

Don't be so close minded and listen to others.

Decent experience for first job out of college.

Current Employee - Creditor Relations Coordinator in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Creditor Relations Coordinator in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Room for growth and movement within departments, except for competition for management positions. most managers were accessible and approachable. Very team oriented environment, a lot of fun activities for the employees during special occasions and employee appreciation week in the summer.

Cons

communication between upper management and reps could be better, also there were some cliques but for the most part people were friendly. a brand new building was built when money could have probably been spent better or more diligently especially being a credit counseling agency.

Be more transparent with how the company is doing financially.

Work here if you need oversight and love call centers.

Former Employee - Financial Counselor
    Former Employee - Financial Counselor

I worked at Greenpath full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent health insurance.

If you are a task-oriented person, this company evaluates primarily on a computer task system, as well as reviews of scripted calls.

High level of "positivity" indoctrination.

Cons

I was a financial counselor at this company. I left for another job.

Possible consumer rights violations:
    For debt management programs, a company should make sure that the client can afford the program. This is a legal issue. Greenpath gets around this by training counselors to not request all of the client's expenses, or adding income with no proof based on the client stating that they will find the shortfall.
    Clients are never asked for identification, and only a password protects clients from someone misusing accounts. Many clients do not have passwords.
    Clients who do qualify are pushed to accept the contract for the debt management program, and counselors are held accountable for not pushing it even when it is not in the client's best interest.

Marketing issue:
    Employees are told to tell potential clients that 95% of employees have a bachelor's degree. They are not allowed to tell clients that the education does not have to be in any way related to personal finance, banking, mortgages or social work. My co-workers had degrees in anthropology, English literature, sports science, architecture . . . . Mine is in marketing, and I had no experience or knowledge at all to help clients, even after training.

Employees:
    The counseling job is not a 40-hour/week job. You will need to get in at least 30 min. early every day, work through lunch, and will probably leave at least a half-hour late.
    There is very little latitude for employees. If you want to work independently, you should consider another company. All meetings, both phone and face-to-face, are completely scripted. You are required to complete a certain number of tasks per day, no exceptions. Counselors are on a phone queue for at least 20 hours per week, and if they are sick, need to make up the time.
    Employees are evaluated solely based on a checklist. Anything missed by either account maintenance coordinators or counselors is additional training, even if it does not pertain to the customer. (EX: A co-worker was "dinged" for not telling the client about bankruptcy items offered by GreenPath, even though the client stated several time they were not interested in bankruptcy.) You have to follow the script exactly.
    Also, the training requires employees to divulge considerable personal information to a roomful of strangers. In less than in an hour, co-workers talked about their divorces, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, and cultural beliefs.

If you work in a field office instead of HQ, you will be required to sign a training contract designed to minimize turnover. The training is completely related to the company computer and task-tracking system and not industry-wide. How much you will owe for leaving before six months is 100% dependent on where your field office is located.

If you do get hired as a counselor at HQ, you may have a temporary demotion to account maintenance. This is also a lower payrate. If you refuse the temporary demotion, the job offer is rescinded.

The insistence in a happy corporate culture can get overwhelming.

So glad I left!

Former Employee - Certified Credit Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Certified Credit Counselor in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Greenpath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good for recent college grads to get some professional work experience on their resume or moms who want to work part time. New building with cafe and small gym. Lots of PTO.

Cons

Most of the reviews from people that say they're happy are probably not counselors, which account for maybe 80% of the workforce. The people that are happy are the people that are in admin (Quality, Training, IT, management), or the people who are in entry level positions transferring calls and scheduling appointments. If you read through the rest of reviews on this site, you'll see that there are a few common themes in the "cons" sections. Most of them are accurate.

1. Retention--This company does not seem to care about losing employees, regardless of their caliber. In fact, it probably works in their favor that so many people move on to better opportunities; with the way they manage their financial affairs, they'd have to lay off a lot of people otherwise.

2. Pay--For a non-profit company, I think the pay is high, because it's in the financial industry. For the actual work that counselors do and the environment they do it in, they are undervalued and underpaid. This is the most stressful job that I have ever had and ever anticipate having. I have a new job now, and I can't believe how stressful being a financial counselor was in comparison to this job; it made me realize how underpaid they really are.

3. Nepotism/Promotions not based on merit--People truly are made into managers based on how long they're been with the company or in their current position; not based on management skills and training or their ability to work with people interpersonally. You can be a crap manager for years and nothing happens, no one notices. You can dress like a slob, get drunk with your coworkers, sleep with your coworkers, verbally abuse people, keep secrets, backstab and nothing happens. Honestly, it comes from the top down. There are people in positions throughout the company that have no clue what they're doing.

4. Communication--What a joke. People always throw around the buzzword "transparency" but no one at GreenPath actually knows how to be transparent. There are always secret meetings; bad for morale. Instead of meeting with people, the CEO records voice messages that the staff has to call in and listen to, talking about "big changes" and "staying flexible". Writing on the wall anyone? Sounds like you're talking about layoffs to me. Another phrase they like to bring up regularly is "our business is cyclical". This is usually a way of explaining why changes have to be made to bring the business out of its current slump. Ok, I get that it's cyclical....but after awhile, shouldn't you figure out how to work with the cycles, instead of against them? Every year the company shouldn't be faced with a do or die scenario. They're not on top of the market, they're not on top of the trends, they don't move fast enough, they don't have the technology or the IT staff to support what needs to be done.

5. Politics--So much gossip. So much favoritism, so much two-faced fakeness. No one will ever tell you the truth, and if you decide to tell the truth, be ready to face the consequences. Everyone here just wants you to play nice and keep quiet and pretend like everything is great.

6. Limited opportunity for advancement--This is a good place to start, but don't plan on staying forever. When a position opens up, about 40 people apply. That's how bad people want to get out of counseling. People are desperate to move up. People have applied for the same position 3, 4, 5 times and been turned down. People have applied for promotions that many times and been turned down. After awhile, it's hard to keep caring when it feels like there's nowhere to go and your hardwork isn't getting you anything.

7. Leadership--Out of touch. Does anyone really know what's happening? They're impersonal, absent, and don't seem qualified.

Work life balance---if you're a new counselor, good luck--you'll be working nights and weekends. Employee appreciation day--more like, Supervisor appreciation day. The counselors are too busy taking calls to enjoy any time off the phones.

New leaders, new ideas, new strategies.

Great Long-Term Career Potential!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmington Hills, MI

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The Core Values are Quality, Integrity and Teamwork. Performance measurements are equally based on quality and productivity. Managers and supervisors are supportive. This is a great place for young professionals to start out, but it also has long-term career potential as there are constantly opportunities for growth/advancement.

Cons

The call center environment isn't for everyone. Processes change frequently due to changing business needs and regulatory requirements. Some late-night and weekend hours, depending on the department. Motivated individuals who have a high regard for customer service, quality and a collaborative work environment will be successful.

Great company if your young, overall decent for the economic times

Current Employee - Financial Counselor
    Current Employee - Financial Counselor

I have been working at Greenpath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PTO/Vacation Time. They give you 1 month to utilize as needed.
    Its good for younger college graduates within the Generation Y-Z era (young professionals)
    Management is tries to be fair and provides flexibility with schedules.
    Medical benefits are good along with the 403b Pension plan and 401a Profit Sharing
    Continuous education and learning classes for professional certifications

Cons

GreenPath will not be able to retain its workforce. Gen Y and Z will only use GreenPath to advance to another career opportunity when the economy gets better. GreenPath will see an increase in defections.

GreenPath doesn't pay enough for the counselors they hire from other companies with experience. They will not be able to retain those career professionals due to deficiencies in opportunities within the organization. If GreenPath hires a counselor with corporate experience, more than likely they will defect when a new opportunity arises or utilize the job only as income to seek other employment. As the years progress, the training department will constantly training new employees. Quality of work will decrease especially as experienced counselors leave GreenPath. Several will continue as the economy improves in 2014.

GreenPath hires people into positions by way of tenure not by qualifications or experience. This is what will cause attrition from their staff at all levels even with the new employees that bring a diverse background of experience. More than likely, unless they are acquinted with a management member, those KSA's acquired will not be utilized.

Continue to seek ways to keep employees engaged and explore retention methods that will help GreenPath to having an experienced workforce that understands the mission and the business. Without addressing retention of Gen Y-Z employees, GreenPath will become a revolving door organization.