Greenpeace
www.greenpeace.org Amsterdam 1 to 5 Employees

Greenpeace Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2014
Greenpeace – Washington – “Greenpeace USA”

Greenpeace Executive Director Kumi Naidoo

Kumi Naidoo

Pros:
  • "very flexible work environment, generally fosters creativity and does amazing environmental work"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Fun to work for this organization and make a difference for the planet"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "They are a non-profit so it's not the wealthiest area to work in but it's a known Day 1 and understandable in working towards a great goal"
    in 4 reviews
  • "you have a quota(understandable) but if you don't make that"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent organization with great people to work with.

ProsGreat work environment, friendly staffers, open doors and working for a great purpose. Located in a great area to boot. Allows for a lot of room for creativity and fun but making sure work gets done and done well. Fair level of accountability as well.

ConsThey are a non-profit so it's not the wealthiest area to work in but it's a known Day 1 and understandable in working towards a great goal.

I was on various position for more than a decade between the mid-80s and the mid 90s

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFast-moving environment, deeply committed staff and supporters, and a powerful vision. The opportunity to travel, meet amazing creative people, and make a mark on theworld.

ConsThe focus of campaigns changed on occasion, at a pace that seemed overwhelming. Often because the information on how and where to target our efforts changed at a fast pace as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on pushing out a powerful vision, and be willing to be patient and stay focused on an outcome even if the terrain feels like it is changing quickly

One of the best environmental NGOs to work for!

Video Intern (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThere are many non-profits in DC that suffer from either lackluster management, poor messaging, or unrealistic goals and actions. Fortunately, Greenpeace avoids all of these pitfalls, and thrives both externally and internally.

ConsTurnover is rather high, which is normal for most non-profits. Also, if you don't hold the same environmental values and opinions of the organization, there is little you can do to change it. Of course, this is also one of its prime strengths.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good for some not all

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosget to work outside ok training flexible schedule

Consyou have a quota(understandable) but if you don't make that quota in your first week you're let go immediately regardless of reasons like the weather causing people to not want to stop and talk also you go to the same spots almost daily so everybody has heard it already

Advice to Senior Managementswitch it up go to a greater variety of places so that you can get a larger audience

Rewarding Work

Fundraising (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAny job is going to offer you salary, benefits, bragging rights, room for growth and an office social culture. But not very many jobs will define who you, as an individual, are, empower you with the creative and professional charge to make a difference in preserving our earth, reward you with the knowledge that you are impacting the world around you and surround you with the very best talent available to help you meet these very high expectations.

ConsNobody said saving the world was easy.

Great place to work

Staff Accountant (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsSuper nice colleagues, got a bunch of interesting people from different backgrounds, not very intense work, medium-paced working environment

ConsMay not be the best place for career development, but definitely a fine place to stay and have fun, depends on what you want

Great organization although very top heavy

Prosvery flexible work environment, generally fosters creativity and does amazing environmental work.

Consdifficult to move up and there is a disturbing pay disparity and lack of vision from upper management.

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more opportunities for young people, evaluate burdensome processes and obstacles

Great mission, good people, weak senior/executive management, and lots of changes in the works - hold on for the ride...

Pros- Colleagues are very driven by the mission
    - Very good benefits, including a lot of paid time-off, 6% match on 401(k), stipend for biking to work, good medical/dental, etc.
    - Opportunity for travel, unique projects, developing many different skills
    - Work-life balance for most positions

Cons- Weak leadership at uppermost tier, which has a serious trickle-down effect; inconsistent communication about decisions, plans, etc., being in a constant state of "in the now" rather than looking ahead
    - Several Operations/Administrative teams are barely limping along, which means that internal processes are very slow, poorly communicated, and unnecessarily frustrating/confusing for staff
    - For positions with poor work-life balance, it's totally out of whack and they are way overworked

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's ok and desirable to communicate to staff that you don't have all the answers rather than holding off forever to give a "polished" one. Give deadlines for decisions being made and stick to them. Give extra attention to new employees, especially those in managerial positions, so that they can best support their teams. Trust your staff to be adults and make good decisions. If it's your decision to make and it's an unpopular one, you should be able to defend it clearly. Have fewer, paid interns.

Passionate, competent worker bees thwarted by management chaos

ProsPassionate colleagues, ability to leverage brand to affect issues of global importance

Conschaotic reorganization, lack of business experience among management, obsession with media spin before substance

Advice to Senior ManagementSort things out before the organization implodes

Good, learned a lot

Grassroots Organizing Intern (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsGave lots of training on skills that are applicable in many jobs, like how to write a press release and how to sell an idea.
    Felt like I was making a difference.
    Pushed me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to grow

ConsSmall messy office with no desk space to work at

Worked for Greenpeace? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Greenpeace reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Greenpeace CEO Kumi Naidoo. All 61 reviews posted anonymously by Greenpeace employees.