Greenpeace Reviews

Reset
3.4
Greenpeace Executive Director Kumi Naidoo
Kumi Naidoo

Pros
  • Flexible and open-minded work environment; (in 7 reviews)

• Fun to work for this organization and make a difference for the planet (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They are a non-profit so it's not the wealthiest area to work in but it's a known Day 1 and understandable in working towards a great goal (in 4 reviews)

• you have a quota(understandable) but if you don't make that (in 6 reviews)

Directed Major Gifts, Foundations, and Planned Giving programs

Former Employee - Director of Special Contributors in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director of Special Contributors in Washington, DC

I worked at Greenpeace

Pros

Great energy and passion put towards intelligent campaigns for a green and peaceful planet

Cons

Sometimes all that activist energy gets turned inwards and Greenpeace staff spend too much time campaigning internally. The enemy is not within.

Advice to Management

Leadership training!

2. job for passionate people

Current Employee - Canvasser
    Current Employee - Canvasser

I have been working at Greenpeace

Pros

great environment, good people. definitely a life time experience worth taking. learned a lot

Cons

not for everyone. you need to be patient and work hard

Advice to Management

engage

3. Not An Easy Job

Former Employee - Frontline Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Frontline Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Greenpeace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were nice. They tried to make you feel comfortable. Lots of talking involved. You could find yourself blending into the company culture quickly. Interview process was easy. Almost everyone who went there (with or without experience) would get an opportunity to be trained. Interactions with people on the streets could be interesting.

Cons

A small office that looked very unorganized. Things were everywhere. Only 1 table for general meetings. Training/Orientation was not effective. Often a good idea to rely on yourself. Although the company said itself as the world's leading independent environmental organization, lots of people on the streets knew little to nothing. There's no where to place your personal belongings like your bag while working. It's better not to bring anything but yourself. Otherwise, you must take the risk for someone stealing your stuff if you decided to put them aside on a crowded street. There's a quota you would need to fulfill each day/week (the number of people you've stopped & signed up). Many co-workers were smokers. They did smoke a lot (could be the stress from the quota thing). So It could be tough to work around them without suffering from secondhand smoke. Last but not least, be prepared for back and leg pain for standing long hours.

Advice to Management

Training should be focused more on how to stop people. Would be a good idea to set up a table on the location so that people can go over, have a seat, and develop a better conversation. Also, it looks more legitimate. There's nothing wrong signing up people right away and asking for a donation. Just it seems better to use a phone assigned by the company instead of using your own cell phone to call the processing center.

Former Employee

I worked at Greenpeace

Pros

Relaxed office environment, great company culture, decent pay, no formal attire, some level of freedom on the job.

Cons

High employee turnover rate, unsafe working conditions, unpaid travel time, fire people before bonuses set in, anti-corporation but run the office with a corporate structure, and there is no job security.

Advice to Management

Learn to value your employees and their helpful suggestions and please start changing the structure of the job so that you are not constantly firing good people that care about the cause.

6. "Former" Frontline for the Downtown LA office

I worked at Greenpeace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely the best experience I have had. Loved the kindred souls I worked with (for five day, while I tried to make quota) Such a learning and growing experience if you really care about the cause. I can say I loved the experience even if I ended up dead tired after each day but it also could of been the stress I had trying to make quota.

-Beautiful individuals who are passionate about what they do -Fabulous supportive supervisors
    -Growing experience, you are with beautiful conservationists and you are as well an activist and part of the movement!
    I am who I am now because of Greenpeace.
    -Learning experience that helps with ANY job.
    -It seemed like I was paired with only the bestest activist or maybe I'm wrong and they're all fabulous beings and canvassers, but on my last day I got introduced to musical medicine and had such a fabulous stressful day filled with tears after I was let go. And more tears for the next few days. And still when I think about it.
    -Meet Scott, Kristina and Travis my deepest love for you three

Cons

-Making QUOTA (it's understandable but make it a lot more reasonable) the days I was there that word became a nightmare
    -If you have been a fabulous canvasser and don't make quota for I believe two weeks you are let go
    And there went a friend if you're of course still there
    -The STRESS of making quota

Advice to Management

Please please please make quota reasonable as other organizations have. I so badly want to go back and give it another try but I'm overwhelmed by the thought of not knowing if I'll make quota or if I'm not capable of keeping my job if I don't after the following weeks, months or years.

7. Great organization but difficult/weird job

Former Employee - Frontline Canvasser in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Greenpeace (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, pretty good pay for a job that didn't have any working requirements. Organization does great work and it felt like I was working for the greater good.

Cons

Each 2 weeks you have to make a certain quota of fundraising commitments, which is hard to maintain. The strangest job I have ever had, it takes a steely morale to stay motivated in the face of so much rejection every day. It was a summer job for me and out of the group of new employees that I started with, only 1 or 2 lasted til the end of the summer (including me).

Advice to Management

Management was really fun, there is nothing wrong with them. They were pretty supportive

8. Great if you love to talk and care about the environment. BUT If you're not passionate you won't survive

Former Employee - Frontline Canvasser in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Frontline Canvasser in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Greenpeace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Get to work with professional conversationalist, so the day is always entertaining
    - The organization does create real change and is the most ethical canvassing job you could have (but this does mean no commission)
    - Its a great social experiment every day of the week
    - You really get to decide how you want to work
    - minimal supervisions
    - supportive supervisors
    - great training
    - the communication skills are beneficial for any field
    -benefits
    - free travel and training trips across the country

Cons

- QUOTA, if you miss it two weeks in a row you're out
    - Your fellow staff's quota, if they miss quota then there goes a friend
    - the stress of quota
    - the lack of exceptions to getting fired for missing quota

9. Frontline fundraiser

Current Employee - Fundraising in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Fundraising in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Greenpeace

Pros

Meeting people, flexible hours, bonuses, improves speaking skills, educational

Cons

Quota system, personality conflicts, site issues, dramatic, to small

10. Could have been better

I worked at Greenpeace

Pros

Enthusiastic and passionate team, also very friendly

Cons

Ineffective outreach strategies, overall direction of organization is questionable

11. If you can handle being outside and canvassing, you'll love the job and the people working there.

Former Employee - Frontline Canvasser in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Frontline Canvasser in New York, NY

I worked at Greenpeace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive, upbeat, engaging, inclusive and very supportive office culture.

Cons

You need to put in the work to become a good canvasser, although it's not for everyone.

RSS Feed </> Embed