Greenpeace

Employer Engaged

Great place to work

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Washington, DC

I worked at Greenpeace full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Super nice colleagues, got a bunch of interesting people from different backgrounds, not very intense work, medium-paced working environment

Cons

May not be the best place for career development, but definitely a fine place to stay and have fun, depends on what you want

Great organization although very top heavy

I have been working at Greenpeace full-time

Pros

very flexible work environment, generally fosters creativity and does amazing environmental work.

Cons

difficult to move up and there is a disturbing pay disparity and lack of vision from upper management.

provide more opportunities for young people, evaluate burdensome processes and obstacles

Great mission, good people, weak senior/executive management, and lots of changes in the works - hold on for the ride...

I have been working at Greenpeace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Colleagues are very driven by the mission
    - Very good benefits, including a lot of paid time-off, 6% match on 401(k), stipend for biking to work, good medical/dental, etc.
    - Opportunity for travel, unique projects, developing many different skills
    - Work-life balance for most positions

Cons

- Weak leadership at uppermost tier, which has a serious trickle-down effect; inconsistent communication about decisions, plans, etc., being in a constant state of "in the now" rather than looking ahead
    - Several Operations/Administrative teams are barely limping along, which means that internal processes are very slow, poorly communicated, and unnecessarily frustrating/confusing for staff
    - For positions with poor work-life balance, it's totally out of whack and they are way overworked

It's ok and desirable to communicate to staff that you don't have all the answers rather than holding off forever to give a "polished" one. Give deadlines for decisions being made and stick to them. Give extra attention to new employees, especially those in managerial positions, so that they can best support their teams. Trust your staff to be adults and make good decisions. If it's your decision to make and it's an unpopular one, you should be able to defend it clearly. Have fewer, paid interns.

Passionate, competent worker bees thwarted by management chaos

I have been working at Greenpeace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate colleagues, ability to leverage brand to affect issues of global importance

Cons

chaotic reorganization, lack of business experience among management, obsession with media spin before substance

Sort things out before the organization implodes

Good, learned a lot

Former Intern - Grassroots Organizing Intern in Charlotte, NC
    Former Intern - Grassroots Organizing Intern in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Greenpeace as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Gave lots of training on skills that are applicable in many jobs, like how to write a press release and how to sell an idea.
    Felt like I was making a difference.
    Pushed me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to grow

Cons

Small messy office with no desk space to work at

Awesome

Former Intern - I T Applications INtern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - I T Applications INtern in Washington, DC

I worked at Greenpeace as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Nice work culture, good learning experience

Cons

Unpaid internship and you will not get paid for your hardwork

No Advice they were awesome

It is what it is...

Former Employee - Frontline Canvasser in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Frontline Canvasser in Orange, CA

I worked at Greenpeace full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- good pay structure: When I left it was $10 p/hr. for the 3 day orientation, $13 p/hr. standard, and after 350 hours worked you get a pay bump to $14.50 p/hr. with health care and other benefits. And there is a decent bonus structure in place where if you do well you could easily make an extra $100 a week.

- supportive coworkers: This was probably the best part of working for Greenpeace was the camaraderie you build with your coworkers. After standing outside of a storefront or college campus for 6 hours a day 5 days a week, you really get to know your coworkers and bond with them.

Cons

- quota structure: The quota structure is pretty strict, much stricter than most workplaces are, but then again considering the necessary job qualifications and pay rate it makes sense; Greenpeace will accept almost anyone who walks through their door, because they know its hard to assess someone's skills at this job only after an interview. Basically, miss quota two weeks in a row and you're fired.

- cult-like indoctrination: To be perfectly honest, Greenpeace (or at least the office I worked at) was like an island for lost toys – everybody there was so wrapped in the Greenpeace culture in one way or another that they couldn't see the real world. This job has a way of making you codependent not only on your coworkers but also on the company itself.

My only advice to anyone who wants to work for Greenpeace is to know when to leave, because if you have a direction in your life that is outside of Greenpeace, this job will not help you get there. It's good for a job if you need the money and are good at sales (if you've seen Wolf of Wall Street, its basically that), or if you really believe in what Greenpeace is doing, but know when to leave, because there are too many people working at Greenpeace who have no direction in their lives and they will bring you down and make you complacent.

Create stricter guidelines. In doing so you're going to lose/fire a lot of people, but it'll increase the efficacy of the frontline program.

Long extra hours

Former Employee - Communicationons Officer in Europa, MO
    Former Employee - Communicationons Officer in Europa, MO

I worked at Greenpeace full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

organization's good image in the media

Cons

having to be always available, no social life left

Let the employees have a life

Canvasser

I worked at Greenpeace

Pros

Fun to work for this organization and make a difference for the planet.

Cons

It is not for the faint of heart. Very difficult to canvass.

GreenPEACE NO PEACE

Former Employee - Frontline Advocate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Frontline Advocate in New York, NY

I worked at Greenpeace full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People working there were very hippie and friendly

Cons

They push way too harrd and some dont really know hat they are talking about but they make alot of noise

Non really other than if dont think people hate the enviroemtn b/c they wont doante money