Greenville Hospital System

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014
4.0

Mike Riordan

Good company but difficult corporate(?) procedures

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training and hours, take job of healthcare seriously. Many managers are very sincere in their work here and do work very hard to be supportive.

Cons

There are some very strange corporate policies which set in motion staff getting hauled out over rather minor issues. Not sure if it is a manager interpretation of these policies or the actual policy. Many staff members across GHS campuses have told me they faced similar issues and did not appreciate it. Also was told by a hiring manager at a different hospital system that they have hired many GHS people that were very stressed out over GHS policies.

Maybe some caution about policy of annual reviewing of staff...there must be a balance here that does not cause people to feel like they are worthless while at the same time striving so hard to be competent and having a smile on their face and displaying our motto. Is it really necessary to haul people out for details...that were actually made such an issue so that management could show that they were doing their job?

Mostly positive

Current Employee - RN Staff
    Current Employee - RN Staff

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very up to date technologically

Cons

No room to grow or advance at the hospital I work at. Very hard to transfer to another position.

Work with your employees to develop their skills and invest in them to help them find a position that is right for them that they will enjoy doing and you will have motivated employees that enjoy their jobs.

Good pay, horrible management

Former Employee - Financial Counselor in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Financial Counselor in Greenville, SC

I worked at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay was great, overtime was available.

Cons

Unless you were best friends with upper management then plan on staying in your position. Management is arrogant and clicky even to their peers. Tons of meetings that had no purpose other than to fill management time slots during the day. Supplies are hard to come by, request is madatory for everything. When requesting pens, I was sent two, one for me and one for my patients. Ridiculous.

Stop trying to impress each other and upper management. Instead focus on your employees and make the business office a better, more organized place for patients. When off campus management cares about your employees more than you do its time to re-evaluate what your true position is within the company.

Great flexibility and compensation

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System

Pros

GHS is a wonderful place to work! I work as a night shift registered nurse with Supplemental Staffing. They are a phenomenal group to work for. The managers are very supportive and fair, and I love being able to make my own schedule! I have always felt appreciated for the work that I do, and we are kept well informed.

Cons

The trade off for working with Supplemental Staffing is that you do float to most units in the hospital. Sometimes the staff on the unit you are assigned to will give assignments that definitely favor their own department's staff. The frustration that occurs sometimes is compensated well.

Keep up the great job!!

Very generous year end bonus!

Current Employee - Physical Therapist III in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist III in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good support from management for whatever is needed. Productivity is reasonable. Very good benefits. Career ladder is functional and appealing to grow.

Cons

Staff coverage for PTO is challenging. This will limit the schedule for treatments or result with staff working having to take on significantly more work.

Continue to interact with employees. Town Hall meetings are very effective.

Greenville hospital system - main campus

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System

Pros

Large hospital system, patient care focused. Teaching hospital with many opportunities for education. Many different campuses across the city

Cons

Large employer so there are some things that you won't get with smaller company. Hard to impact change.

Excellent Organization to Work For and Grow With...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I worked at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At GHS there is a tremendous opportunity for anyone who wants to grow within the organization. The culture is committed to continuous improvement and learning, diversity of its employee base, and treats its employees fairly. You get out of it what you are willing to put into it; the opportunities are there. Physicians, affiliated staff, nursing, and corporate all work together to ensure that GHS is on the forefront of serving the needs of the communities that it is privileged to be a part of.

Cons

GHS is a large healthcare organization that experiences significant growth each year. It can at times be a bit overwhelming. However, Leadership along with HR is committed to providing each employee with individualized attention which helps.

Continue to focus on the development of Leadership and management skills.

Great Benefits, Lacks promotion from within.

Former Employee - Case Worker in Greer, SC
    Former Employee - Case Worker in Greer, SC

I worked at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Pay
    Educational Reimbursement
    Great Healthcare Insurance, etc.
    Beautiful Work Environment
    Technologically Forward Thinking - Ex. All staff have own computers. Nursing staff have Vocera communication devices.
    Great social opportunities - GHS Young Professionals Group for example.

Cons

Doesn't recognize dedicated employees.
    Still "good ole boy" system, hard to advance professionally.
    Very large integrated system with difficulties communicating laterally and horizontally.

Be more willing to promote from within, giving employees who are not nurses an opportunity.

Overall good to work for, care for employees

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good employee benefits package. Generally caring management from department supervisor to CEO for employee well-being as well as community. Employer provided opportunities for improvement in health and family issues.

Cons

Pain scale for some positions could be better by providing more opportunity for job performance raises. Pay range is generally based on years of experience with no opportunity to exceed that range by merit..

Great place to workout

Former Employee - Manager of the Juice Bar in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Manager of the Juice Bar in Greenville, SC

I worked at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are fun to work with.

Cons

Sometimes there were unruly customers.

Thank you for all you did for me when I worked there

Greenville Hospital System Photos