Greenville Hospital System

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
3.8

Mike Riordan

I've only been here a few weeks - but my department is awesome!

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are amazing! Really care about what we do.

Cons

Feel like all eyes are on you because it's such a reputable, well-known system. Got to be on your toes at all times!

Worked for GHS for 6 yrs!

Current Employee - Nurse in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Nurse in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits! One of the largest employers in the upstate!

Cons

Lots of chiefs, not enough Indians! Nothing get done in a timely manner! Made to feel like I don't matter!

See above...change things

Keep your thoughts and opinions to yourself

Current Employee - Surgical Tech
    Current Employee - Surgical Tech

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, dedicated co workers, excellent surgeons, clean environment, awesome food court, Pharmacy, credit union and childcare($$$$) on site. Lobby looks like it belongs in a Ritz Carlton.

Cons

Management!! They don't follow HR policies ( and HR will ALWAYS back them) they never thank you for your efforts, think getting a lunch break is a privilege, and they don't care if you get relieved on time. Do not voice an opinion or disagree with them. I have seen many great long term employees let go for this reason. At this time I would NOT recommend working here in the Operating Room. Too frustrating.

Seriously, know your policies. There's too much focus on gossiping and not enough on having competent employees. Supervisors and Nurse Managers have no clue what goes on in the OR. They don't speak to employees about their jobs, don't give any positive feedback, and couldn't circulate or scrub if you had a gun to their heads.

Good company but difficult corporate(?) procedures

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training and hours, take job of healthcare seriously. Many managers are very sincere in their work here and do work very hard to be supportive.

Cons

There are some very strange corporate policies which set in motion staff getting hauled out over rather minor issues. Not sure if it is a manager interpretation of these policies or the actual policy. Many staff members across GHS campuses have told me they faced similar issues and did not appreciate it. Also was told by a hiring manager at a different hospital system that they have hired many GHS people that were very stressed out over GHS policies.

Maybe some caution about policy of annual reviewing of staff...there must be a balance here that does not cause people to feel like they are worthless while at the same time striving so hard to be competent and having a smile on their face and displaying our motto. Is it really necessary to haul people out for details...that were actually made such an issue so that management could show that they were doing their job?

Mostly positive

Current Employee - RN Staff
    Current Employee - RN Staff

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very up to date technologically

Cons

No room to grow or advance at the hospital I work at. Very hard to transfer to another position.

Work with your employees to develop their skills and invest in them to help them find a position that is right for them that they will enjoy doing and you will have motivated employees that enjoy their jobs.

Great pay and benefits. Management Poor.

Former Employee - Patient REp
    Former Employee - Patient REp

I worked at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Time off was good, hours, training and ability to move within the company, however, i had the worst supervisor at cancer center doing collections and worst management there EVER!

Cons

Mandatory overtime, raises, terrible supervision in the Cancer center

Get rid of all managers that harass their employees, and upper management should not just take supervisors word for everything. Collections was a hard job and mangement made it even harder

Great flexibility and compensation

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System

Pros

GHS is a wonderful place to work! I work as a night shift registered nurse with Supplemental Staffing. They are a phenomenal group to work for. The managers are very supportive and fair, and I love being able to make my own schedule! I have always felt appreciated for the work that I do, and we are kept well informed.

Cons

The trade off for working with Supplemental Staffing is that you do float to most units in the hospital. Sometimes the staff on the unit you are assigned to will give assignments that definitely favor their own department's staff. The frustration that occurs sometimes is compensated well.

Keep up the great job!!

Very generous year end bonus!

Current Employee - Physical Therapist III in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist III in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good support from management for whatever is needed. Productivity is reasonable. Very good benefits. Career ladder is functional and appealing to grow.

Cons

Staff coverage for PTO is challenging. This will limit the schedule for treatments or result with staff working having to take on significantly more work.

Continue to interact with employees. Town Hall meetings are very effective.

Greenville hospital system - main campus

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System

Pros

Large hospital system, patient care focused. Teaching hospital with many opportunities for education. Many different campuses across the city

Cons

Large employer so there are some things that you won't get with smaller company. Hard to impact change.

Excellent Organization to Work For and Grow With...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I worked at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At GHS there is a tremendous opportunity for anyone who wants to grow within the organization. The culture is committed to continuous improvement and learning, diversity of its employee base, and treats its employees fairly. You get out of it what you are willing to put into it; the opportunities are there. Physicians, affiliated staff, nursing, and corporate all work together to ensure that GHS is on the forefront of serving the needs of the communities that it is privileged to be a part of.

Cons

GHS is a large healthcare organization that experiences significant growth each year. It can at times be a bit overwhelming. However, Leadership along with HR is committed to providing each employee with individualized attention which helps.

Continue to focus on the development of Leadership and management skills.

Greenville Hospital System Photos