Greenville Hospital System

Updated December 5, 2014
Updated December 5, 2014
3.9

Mike Riordan

Great, growing company in a wonderful city.

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System

Pros

Great work-life balance, marketing department values putting out quality material and there is a lot of work to be done. The people are all very friendly- even upper-level management. Working with health care providers is usually rewarding because they are working so hard to advance health care in the Upstate.

Cons

The main challenge is the lack of opportunity for advancement. It doesn't seem like the marketing department itself is growing (though GHS as a whole is). It doesn't seem as though they are hiring many people and they hire out a lot of their work to contractors rather than bring anyone else on full time.

I think GHS is moving in a great direction! Just continue taking care of your people.

I've only been here a few weeks - but my department is awesome!

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are amazing! Really care about what we do.

Cons

Feel like all eyes are on you because it's such a reputable, well-known system. Got to be on your toes at all times!

Worked for GHS for 6 yrs!

Current Employee - Nurse in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Nurse in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits! One of the largest employers in the upstate!

Cons

Lots of chiefs, not enough Indians! Nothing get done in a timely manner! Made to feel like I don't matter!

See above...change things

Keep your thoughts and opinions to yourself

Current Employee - Surgical Tech
    Current Employee - Surgical Tech

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, dedicated co workers, excellent surgeons, clean environment, awesome food court, Pharmacy, credit union and childcare($$$$) on site. Lobby looks like it belongs in a Ritz Carlton.

Cons

Management!! They don't follow HR policies ( and HR will ALWAYS back them) they never thank you for your efforts, think getting a lunch break is a privilege, and they don't care if you get relieved on time. Do not voice an opinion or disagree with them. I have seen many great long term employees let go for this reason. At this time I would NOT recommend working here in the Operating Room. Too frustrating.

Seriously, know your policies. There's too much focus on gossiping and not enough on having competent employees. Supervisors and Nurse Managers have no clue what goes on in the OR. They don't speak to employees about their jobs, don't give any positive feedback, and couldn't circulate or scrub if you had a gun to their heads.

Excellent place to work. Latest technology and equipment, pleasant buildings

I worked at Greenville Hospital System

Pros

Learning hospital so constant education.

Cons

Employee hours and bonuses the first to get cut, despite constant spending on unnecessary improvements.

Good company but difficult corporate(?) procedures

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training and hours, take job of healthcare seriously. Many managers are very sincere in their work here and do work very hard to be supportive.

Cons

There are some very strange corporate policies which set in motion staff getting hauled out over rather minor issues. Not sure if it is a manager interpretation of these policies or the actual policy. Many staff members across GHS campuses have told me they faced similar issues and did not appreciate it. Also was told by a hiring manager at a different hospital system that they have hired many GHS people that were very stressed out over GHS policies.

Maybe some caution about policy of annual reviewing of staff...there must be a balance here that does not cause people to feel like they are worthless while at the same time striving so hard to be competent and having a smile on their face and displaying our motto. Is it really necessary to haul people out for details...that were actually made such an issue so that management could show that they were doing their job?

Mostly positive

Current Employee - RN Staff
    Current Employee - RN Staff

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very up to date technologically

Cons

No room to grow or advance at the hospital I work at. Very hard to transfer to another position.

Work with your employees to develop their skills and invest in them to help them find a position that is right for them that they will enjoy doing and you will have motivated employees that enjoy their jobs.

Great pay and benefits. Management Poor.

Former Employee - Patient REp
    Former Employee - Patient REp

I worked at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Time off was good, hours, training and ability to move within the company, however, i had the worst supervisor at cancer center doing collections and worst management there EVER!

Cons

Mandatory overtime, raises, terrible supervision in the Cancer center

Get rid of all managers that harass their employees, and upper management should not just take supervisors word for everything. Collections was a hard job and mangement made it even harder

Good pay, horrible management

Former Employee - Financial Counselor in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Financial Counselor in Greenville, SC

I worked at Greenville Hospital System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay was great, overtime was available.

Cons

Unless you were best friends with upper management then plan on staying in your position. Management is arrogant and clicky even to their peers. Tons of meetings that had no purpose other than to fill management time slots during the day. Supplies are hard to come by, request is madatory for everything. When requesting pens, I was sent two, one for me and one for my patients. Ridiculous.

Stop trying to impress each other and upper management. Instead focus on your employees and make the business office a better, more organized place for patients. When off campus management cares about your employees more than you do its time to re-evaluate what your true position is within the company.

Great flexibility and compensation

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System

Pros

GHS is a wonderful place to work! I work as a night shift registered nurse with Supplemental Staffing. They are a phenomenal group to work for. The managers are very supportive and fair, and I love being able to make my own schedule! I have always felt appreciated for the work that I do, and we are kept well informed.

Cons

The trade off for working with Supplemental Staffing is that you do float to most units in the hospital. Sometimes the staff on the unit you are assigned to will give assignments that definitely favor their own department's staff. The frustration that occurs sometimes is compensated well.

Keep up the great job!!