Greenville Hospital System

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Mike Riordan

Fabulous place to work!

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System

ProsIt's the largest employer in Greenville, SC. It's nice to be with a company that has such a strong presence as well as mission, vision, and values.

ConsAs with any hospital system- no holidays off but you are given plenty of PTO to compensate

Transportin' your way into the future!

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System

Pros-Hospital staff is super nice with the exception of a few bad apples, but what company doesn't have those?
-Good benefits
-Respectable boss that cares about patient safety/health
-The managers will work with your school schedule in order to keep you

Cons-Being around germs all day
-The long walk from the employee parking garage

have worked full time for 5 years

Surgical Tech (Current Employee)
Greenville, SC

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgreat company to work for, great opportunities to advance and good healthcare benefits. good PTO policy and holiday time.

Consthe O.R. management is consistently changing, with each new person changing the rules to benefit themselves. Love the company, not much love to the management staff, we have lost quite a few good long term people due to the inconsistency and unfairness, management does not follow hospital policies and threatens anyone who voices their displeasure

Advice to Senior Managementget it together.

Stimulating work environment with a challenging caseload.

Physical Therapist (Current Employee)
Greenville, SC

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunities for advancement. Structured career ladder with clearly defined objectives and self developed work plan. Caseload is manageable with reasonable productivity levels. Professional interactions at all times.

ConsIncreased number of acute care therapist required. Speciality areas are very well staffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is very rehab focused. CEO is very in tune with employee opinions. Conducts quarterly Town Hall Meetings at all campuses which all staff are encouraged to atend. These meetings are informative and seek feedback on current issues.

A forward thinking healthcare system in a changing industry

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGrowing system, flex time, Well respected by consumers and physicians in the area

ConsFlat organization with limited growth potential (at least in my area)

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee career development outside of health professionals

Greenville Health System provides great care, corporate pluses and (-)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Greenville Hospital System full-time for more than 5 years

ProsConsider compensation to be good, along with their benefits. High standard in mission, vision & values. Corporate leadership that makes a difference, communicates to the people regularly at Town Hall. Paid time off is fair. Nice people generally speaking. Some are quite the picture of compassion.

ConsReduction In Force has shaken the IS staff. Tempo of changes introduced are often a contributing factor to negative trends in staff attitude and performance...to the point of being staggering.
Some changes are often legislated and others are Studer-influenced influenced initiatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working on the relationship of patient / staff / clinician. Make the environment match the rhetoric.

I enjoyed working for this company. Was there for 10 years

Lead Phelbotomist (Former Employee)

I worked at Greenville Hospital System full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat place to work. A place to move up and further you skills

ConsNeed more training for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep visiting the satalite hospital.

Great nursing care from caring professionals.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
Greenville, SC

ProsOn the unit I work the nursing staff gives excellent care and is concerned with customer satisfaction.

ConsAs is the case with most hospitals, staffing adequately every day is the biggest problem. Scheduling is designed for budget so there is no wiggle room with increased census or sick employees. Management and ancillary nursing staff rarely come out of the offices to actually help with patient care.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the managers that are low performers and actually run off your nursing staff. Cut the middle management, educators, and others who don't actually provide care. They are often hindrances rather than facilitators. Use your healthcare dollars for hands on caregivers. We have some of the best nurses around. Help them do what they do best instead of constantly checking up on them.

CEO has great vision and outlook to make this the best healthcare system in the state of SC

Greenville, SC

ProsVery involved in the community, very patient care oriented, a beautiful atmosphere for your healthcare stay and on the cutting edge of technology, both medically and programatically. You will get the latest and greatest care if you come to GHS.

ConsSome employee benefits get lost in the shuffle, which causes some resentments.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that employees are your best advertisement. Treated great, you get great PR, taking options away, doesn't make for good satisfaction nor excitement about coming to work.

Supportive staff, flexible hours, and reasonable pay make Greer Memorial Hospital a great place to work.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
Greer, SC

I have been working at Greenville Hospital System

ProsGood benefits, good compensation, and great work environment. Our unit works together to support one another. The Med/Surg unit is the best hospital environment I have ever worked in. I have been an RN for eight years. Our nurse educators are supportive when new proceedures are to developed, and keep us informed of policy changes.

ConsSometimes understaffed. No raise in 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need new computers. Our mobile computers are slow and in constant need of repair. Please budget for new computers.

Worked for Greenville Hospital System? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Greenville Hospital System reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Greenville Hospital System CEO Mike Riordan. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Greenville Hospital System employees.