Greenway Health

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
2.9

Wyche T. Green, III

Pros
  • Great people to work with, opportunity for recent grads to get their feet wet (in 6 reviews)

• Same senior management team for many years, had a solid vision for years (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The camaraderie and work-life balance was perfect (in 3 reviews)

• High deductible health plan, but once the deductible was reached you were covered 100% (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Neutral at best

I have been working at Greenway Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing co-workers. I have a great boss who always goes to bat for our team.

Cons

Compensation has always been low across the board. There seems to be a lack of focus on our campus specifically.

Great experience.

Current Employee - R&D in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - R&D in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Greenway Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team and work environment.

Cons

None that I can think of

Promote within

Love these people

Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Greenway Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have fond memories of Greenway- the old Greenway. The company is in a state of evolution right now and there are still some very good people working there that have great intentions and good hearts.

Cons

After being acquired it seems like some bad decisions were made by the board. No one knows who the wizard is pulling the strings- it clearly isn't the CEO because decisions were made that Tee Green would never have made if it was his choice.

Outsource more development to India.

The only constant is change.

I have been working at Greenway Health

Pros

Decent benefits.
    Flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Recently bought by private equity firm.
    Too many changes resulted in poor customer service.

Good people, terrible management.

Former Employee - Insurance A/R Specialist in Carrollton, GA
    Former Employee - Insurance A/R Specialist in Carrollton, GA

I worked at Greenway Health as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people across the board, flexible hours, and support as you learn the job. Pay is average for the area and for the quality of many of the people hired.

Cons

Greenway suffers from an extreme difficulty in transitioning between being a company that is locally competitive to one that is able to compete for talent on a national level. Greenway's recruiters were until recently relatively nondiscriminatory (from a qualifications point of view) about the people that they hire.

That, however, is only the beginning of the problem. Once Greenway manages to find actual talent in the ranks of the people that they hire. they make little to no effort to keep them on board. Employees are rewarded neither for success nor for experience. Salaries are relatively static.

Revamp the HR department and hiring process. and give everyone a raise.

An entirely mediocre experience

Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in Carrollton, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in Carrollton, GA

I have been working at Greenway Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Carrollton campus is nice. Free access to an exercise room. The building has a small cafe which sometimes has acceptable food. Many of my coworkers are nice and friendly and even many of the managers are caring and try hard to mentor and lead by example.

Cons

The benefits are just terrible, no other way to put it. The company is in the middle of open enrollment for 2015 and the health plan carries a $4000 deductible with a high monthly premium. The dental and vision benefits are similarly awful. The medical plan is effectively a expensive catastrophic care policy. You can reduce the amount of the premium a little by agreeing to participate in a wellness program, having your physical activity tracked with some kind of wearable monitor, and submit to medical exams and diet checks. There is no prescription benefit until you meet your deductible unless one of your medications are on the list of "maintenance drugs" and if not, you'll pay 100% out of pocket until you satisfy your deductible.

The 401K plan pays out an average employer match ($.50 on the first 6%) but only deposits the match into your account once a year. Structuring it this way means you gain no interest for the entire tax year and it significantly reduces the benefit of an employer match. The pay at Greenway is at or below- average in the industry. When stacked up against salary, the benefits drag down your take home pay to the point that the salary is no longer competitive against similar types of companies.

I've seen other reviewers mention a decent work/life balance and maybe that varies by which manager you have but I can tell you that many managers feel that you should be available all the time, even outside of normal work hours especially if you wan to be a "team player". If you prefer a 9-5 type of job or have much of a life outside work, this isn't the job for you. This corporate mentality is pervasive and employee spotlights during company wide pep rallies show that only people who worked evening and weekends are recognized for their accomplishments.

Taking a job here should really be viewed as a temporary stop on your way to something better. I'm actively looking for other work.

An investment in employees requires time and money. I suspect that Greenway management are impotent to implement what would be needed given that Vista is now pulling the strings and they appear to only care about the bottom line.

Beware--Nice people, REALLY stressful job

Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Support Technician in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Greenway Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the people who work at Greenway are awesome. They are very flexible if you need time off. Covered parking, gym, and cafe on site.

Cons

The stress isn't worth the money. If you get hired on as Support, you must learn to accept that you will ALWAYS feel like you are drowning. The never ending cases being assigned to you, and lack of people that care. Seems like almost everyone that actually knew anything about the software is no longer employed at Greenway. The high deductible insurance plan is a total joke.

You get what you pay for.

New to Greenway

Current Employee - Applications Programmer I in Alachua, FL
    Current Employee - Applications Programmer I in Alachua, FL

I have been working at Greenway Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The other developers, junior and senior, have all been polite, easy going, and knowledgeable. Everyone I work with within my immediate team is bright and hard-working-- a delightful change of pace from my last programming job where the team often had to carry the weight of some deadbeat devs. Also, it appears the devs I work with on the other teams are mostly of the same caliber of intelligence and diligence.

Management treats me well, and is quite competent at training us, keeping us in the loop, and leading us in general.

I've heard the pay is lower than what can be found elsewhere in the market, but it was more than my previous job for the state. Overall, I'd say I get paid a fair salary, and I have no complaints.

Cons

So far, I have seen no cons. This has been the best job I've had in this industry and in general.

Based on what I've seen, I'd say the upper management is doing well in hiring new devs and in keeping devs who are team-orientated and bright.

No direction , Poor Leadership & Unqualified management people

I have been working at Greenway Health full-time

Pros

nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing

Cons

old technology sets, no training , no bonus / salary raise , no promotions even after working with company for years and even when company is making profit.
    lack of communication within teams.
    contractors trying hard for job safety - not sharing code with others , not informing others of the code change , not willing to talk to employees , management just watches / ignores and just goes with this.
    ridiculous team structure . Create a team of senior developers/employees - make highly talented senior developers architects, have junior developers work under them not equally with them - update your job titles accordingly . its very obsolete.

Encourage senior developers who have been contributing by giving them promotions , salary raise etc.
    Do not give un-qualified people promotions.
    if you don't differentiate senior developer vs junior developer , its going to hurt the morale and would cause problems for the company down the road if not immediately.

Horrible place to work since the merger with Vitera

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Carrollton, GA
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Carrollton, GA

I worked at Greenway Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None to list anymore. The benefits were always bad, but the pay was decent and the work/life ratio was outstanding.

Cons

Too numerous to list. Greenway used to be the best place to work, even though they've always had real shoddy benefits. The camaraderie and work-life balance was perfect. Since they merged with Vitera they aren't worth driving past anymore. Good luck Greenway, I hope you can go back to what you were.

Go back to what you once were. You've ruined a great company.