Greenwich Associates

www.greenwich.com
Profile Unclaimed

Poor Management, No Direction, No Opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Greenwich Associates full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The office location was pretty good since it wasn't in downtown Stamford but still close enough to civilization. Summer hours were a plus. Time off policy was good.

Cons

There are very few "managers" there. Oh, there are many Managers but only a few actually know how to manage. And that's a top-down issue within the organization. Since bad managers can't teach new managers how to be good managers, the issue perpetuates. It seems like some managers can get away with almost anything with no repercussions.

They've hired a lot of senior level people over the last year or two and have let go many of the people who were actually successfully getting things done. Obviously, you can't bring in that level of personnel without having a way to pay for them. Since I don't believe they have increased revenue to substantiate these cost increases, they've made cuts elsewhere.

There are zero opportunities for growth within the organization. Don't even think about advancing your career here.

The organization has no direction. I do think they have somewhat of an idea about where they would ultimately like the company to be but they have no real understanding of what to do to get it there.

There is a real conflict of interest in having consultants, many of which who are also partners, having their hands in day-to-day operations. Their clients say "jump" and they want to jump, which is the nature of the salesman in them. Having a stake in the firm in some ways gives them the authority to push these demands through the pipeline with litle regard for the operations impact/cost.

Some of your departments have literally imploded over the last 15 months or so (secret, unexplained layoffs and terminations, short-notice voluntary resignations/retirements, etc.) which also happens to coincide with a few events/changes that occurred within the organization. When teams falls apart like that, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there is a larger issue at play. Sometimes the "face" of a team/dept is not necessarily who is really driving the success of that team and holding things together.

Learn how to promote from within. And I don't mean just giving somebody a new title with the same responsibilities.

Get consultants completely out of the operations area. Some of these guys are incredibly intelligent and very good sales people but that does not make them operational experts. Sales should manage sales and Ops should manage ops.

Interesting work; Lousy pay

Current Employee - Executive Interviewer in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Executive Interviewer in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Greenwich Associates part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The conversations I have with the executives who I interview are frequently very interesting and illuminating. Service company provides can be very valuable to clients.

Cons

However, it takes hours and hours to complete all the work it takes to get paid (i.e. the write-ups; the invoices; the repeat phone calls; the poorly worded questionnaires). Frankly, I would not do this unless I thought it was giving me more knowledge about asset management and institutional investors.

Mgt needs to incent and compensate Interviewers much more than they currently do. If the quality of the info they obtain for their clients is not of the highest quality, then the advice they give to their clients will be misleading. Also, for a company whose sole product is based on information, they really need to update their IT infrastructure completely.

Very Long Hours for Little Pay and No Growth Opportunities

Former Employee - Client Associate Level I in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Client Associate Level I in Stamford, CT

I worked at Greenwich Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some analysts are intelligent and you have access to senior management/consultants. The casual dress policy makes the environment laid back. The work at times can be interesting.

Cons

The pay is very low given the long hours (12-hour days are normal). The company provides very little growth opportunity. Many Client Associates leave after a year because they realize they are stuck receiving very little pay, working long hours, and can't advance their careers in meaningful ways. Nepotism runs rampant at all levels of the company and high turnover causes increased pressure.

Hire more people to reduce the workload and pressure or pay your employees more. Unless changes are made, employees will continue to leave for better opportunities after a very short time.

Don't expect a career here

I worked at Greenwich Associates

Pros

The GA Thanksgiving Dinner (if they silll do that, I left in 2005)
    Good Life Work Balance (except for month end and year end)
    The L&D department makes an effort to educate non Partners/Consultants/RAs about the financial world
    Departments run lean and mean so you get to wear many hats. No silos here

Cons

Inbred hiring process
    Promotions are patronage driven
    If your not a Patrner/Consultant/RA, you are treated like scum
    Support Teams dont respect deadlines and are vey quick to throw you under the bus
    CFO wants everything yesterday
    Hearing the recording "You have reached the Greenwich Associates Snow Line, The office is open for business" when there is over a foot of snow outside your door.

Your support teams may not have the Ivy League background but you can still show them a little dignity and respect
    Pay a compettiive wage

Nowhere to Go

I worked at Greenwich Associates

Pros

Casual dress policy was great, as was half day Fridays during the summer. Time off policy was pretty good. Employs some very smart people that you get to work pretty closely with. I also can't complain about the salary.

Cons

There is abosolutely nowhere to go in the company. There is no career path or development. The career development plan that was implemented was really just a facade; nothing was done to improve the employees' skills or to help get them to the next step in their careers. It seemed to be more of a way to get employees to do more without providing any guarantee of advancement. It seems the same "inner-circle" of people are promoted or given new responsibilities. If you are not in that inner-circle, you can pretty much forget it. The CIO/Head of Operations is about as arrogant as you can be.

Give employees a real career path with clearly defined steps to get to each level. The "if you don't like it, you can leave" attitude has got to go. Show loyalty to those employees who have done the same.

long hours, good entry level experience

I worked at Greenwich Associates

Pros

access to senior executives within the financial services industry; impressive roster of partners at the firm

Cons

limit career mobility; limited transferable skills

Solid place to start a career in financial services

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Greenwich Associates

Pros

GA is a collegial firm with a reasonably young and fun analyst force. The lifestyle is good, and young employees here get away with a lot that wouldn't fly elsewhere. Management genuinely wants employees to succeed, either within the company or elsewhere, and will help in whatever ways they can. Casual dress policy is a plus.

Cons

In return for good work/life balance the pay is less than you might find elsewhere. Team continuity and culture varies significantly by sector, and your sector placement will have a huge impact in your experience at GA. A botched technology upgrade made life miserable in 2009, but this nightmare should soon be over.

If management does what it says its going to do, GA will be an even better place to work in the future.

Revolving door for Client Associates because of no $$$

I have been working at Greenwich Associates

Pros

Very young office, and extremely good access to senior management. I was able to talk to the CEO on my second day at work.

Cons

The pay is NOT competitive at all. As soon as anyone has been at GA long enough to know what's going on they leave for business school so that they can make more money.

Raise pay for everyone, people need to be enticed to continue working at Greenwich Associates. And stop charging for everything. Having bagels for people and charging $1 each DESTROYS morale, it seems like GA is making a profit on this transaction.

solid place to work

I have been working at Greenwich Associates

Pros

GA can provide a a stimulating and challenging work environemt but depends largely on the dynamics of your group. The people are generally talented and enjoyable to work along side.

Cons

Compensation is poor for some roles and morale is awful at times. Employees work longer hours due to mismanagement of technology platform.

GA as a firm needs to set realistic expectations and communicate better on important issues that affect every employee. HR needs to step up.

Greenwich Associates - opportunity exists, but action needed to capitalize

Current Employee - Associate in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Associate in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Greenwich Associates

Pros

Benefits, work life balance, dynamic industry, intellectually stimulating

Cons

Challenging environment, increased competition, partnership structure negates what should be our biggest advantage - flexibility

Understand that our world is drastically different than the environment that the firm grew up in. We need to change with it.