Greenwood Hall

2.0

John R. Hall

Enjoyable place to work.

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time

Pros

The employees themselves are great, there are flexible schedules, and management is willing to work with you to help better yourself and raise the quality of your work. I was promoted at the beginning of this year and am very happy with my role, my team, and my managers. The environment is nice and there is chance to win PTO and other prizes bi-weekly.

Cons

The insurance is not cheap but any other problems that the company has had in the past have already been addressed by the new management.

Continue with transparency and honesty. It has gone a long way.

A dead-end short-term job with low pay, no raises, and limited opportunity for growth

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Greenwood Hall full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I learned at lot and Greenwood and Hall, and I and wish the best for this company, but they will continue to have a high turn over year after year if they don't start making some drastic changes.

Cons

I originally started working for this company as a seasonal employee and was told I would only be working for a few months due to seasonal variances in load. After a brief time I was instead offered a full time position to replace other employees that were often leaving due to, as I would later find out, was extremely high turnover due to constant issues with payments and disagreements with management. Over time the company seemed to have more and more issues financially, my paychecks as well as others bouncing on numerous occasions. It often took over a week to resolve, and no one bothered to step forward and explain what was happening for over a week, resulting in large amounts of employees leaving, and filing complaints with the labor board. Finally one of the owners came in to apologize face-to-face and told us a story about why our checks were bouncing and that they were taking care of the situation and we would all be paid and they made arrangements to ensure it would "never happen again". This happened right at Christmas time too, resulting in several employees missing out on long planned visits to their family for the holidays due to insufficient funds.

A month later, despite promises to the contrary, it happened again. We were still issued paychecks but then asked not to cash them until the following Monday. Supplies were being limited in the office, people had to bring in their own plates, plastic ware, napkins, towels, and even water. A few times, they couldn't even afford to stock toilet paper. At this time, overall morale began to decline steadily. Management level employees were quitting with no notice and the second owner in the CA office disappeared with no explanation.

Then all of a sudden a management team from Arizona was hired to try to change the office around, which turned out to be a complete waste of time as they would come and go as they please and they hardly ever spent any time in the office, nor did anything quantifiable.

Among other unsatisfactory things about the company, most of the "management" staff, and team leads, were highly uneducated, condescending, and unprofessional. My team manager, who was with the company half of the time I was, knew far less about the account than anyone else working on the team, was rarely able to answer questions, and would spend 2-3 hours of her 8 hour shift, standing outside with a cigarette in her hand. She constantly complained about the dress code in the office, and after telling our team we "HAD" to wear formal attire the following day because a "client" was going to be in the office, she would come in wearing a tank top, jeans and flip-flops. After leaving, I found her profile on Facebook, and almost every picture on it was highly inappropriate, often featuring her scantly-clad rear-end in some sort of drunken "spring break" extravaganza in which she had taken part.

We were expected to stay in a "chat room" style instant-message board, so that we could ask questions of the various team leads for the accounts. Unfortunately, only rarely did anyone ever answer a question, and new employees were left completely in the dark, with no one to help them learn how to handle regularly occurring situations. Coupled with almost non-existent training, I cant imagine we had a very good reputation amongst the inbound callers.

I worked here for multiple years, and not once was given a formal review, or a cost of living increase, or any pay raise. The company offered a really awful 50% employer contributed health and dental plan, that cost twice as much as my privatized insurance, and offered less than half of the benefits. It was cheaper AND more beneficial for me to stay with my own insurance. The only insurance they offered that was worth paying for was for vision, and if you signed up for ONLY vision, you were treated like you were some kind of terrible person. The base pay was very low, and with so few ways to advance, there really is no long term future for anyone that works here.

Start listening to the feedback you get from employees, read the reviews on this site. Make some serious changes, or you will not last.

Paychecks bounced. Thrown to the wolves on a daily basis.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bryan, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bryan, TX

I worked at Greenwood Hall full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Was able to work from home, made several good friends.

Cons

From the start, training was mediocre. It was nothing more than a team leader speedily reading a packet to a room full of new hires. Everything I learned came from an experienced and very thorough woman, who had been with the company for quite some time - not my team lead. New accounts would roll in, you'd get an email or something saying how to answer the phone, and that was it. You'd be answering calls for something you knew nothing about, yet claiming to be an expert about it. Emails would be sent out with information as they obtained it, but lots of times there was no more information. Or it was a month before you heard anything else about it. I mentioned working from home, but I was only able to do this because I had my own laptop, paid for my own internet, and already owned my own headset. They did not set me up with any hardware or come out of pocket for anything for me to do that. It just made it more convenient for me because I could watch tv in between calls. In the office you aren't even allowed to read a book, which I thought was ridiculous. Especially if it was a slow day on Inbound. Pay was not great, but not terrible either, considering the position overall. The insurance is AWFUL. Expensive, and you still end up paying out of pocket for everything. I regularly paid $30-50 for prescriptions that are typically free. Checks were always an issue. They were consistently late. Management liked to blame this on the FedEx delivery guys. I never had a paycheck bounce until my 2nd year of employment, and then checks were bouncing every other month. Then every other pay period. Then every single pay period. They would reissue checks for the checks that bounced, but then your bank wouldn't accept them. Pretty soon, even the seediest gas stations around town wouldn't cash them. Since the checks were from out of state (Coming from California to the Texas branch) they were already held by the bank before depositing. And the fees are higher if you tried to cash them outright. G&H discussed opening a local account in the area to help with this, but they never bothered to actually do it. After bouncing checks became more frequent, and employees started quitting, management held a conference call with California to discuss the future of the company and address our concerns. It was nothing more than an hour long excuse talking about hedge funds, and that they basically don't have enough money on hand to pay their employees ever. And because the accounts we service don't pay on time, that payroll is met by borrowing money. According to them, something happened with the lender, and they are working to find a new lender asap. Meanwhile their replacement checks had month long holds on them with banks and/or were straight up rejected. My local bank even went so far as to offer me a job at their branch because they felt sorry for me. It was humiliating. They eventually made good on all my hours worked, and even vacation time (which I had no idea existed). But once checks started bouncing like that, I got out of there as fast as I could. It literally felt like I was on a sinking ship. I saved all of their bogus payroll excuse emails because if I didn't get my money, I was going to notify the district attorney. They kept acting like the bounced checks were surprising, but they were definitely writing checks they KNEW wouldn't cash. Just to shut people up and buy themselves time.

Stop lying to your employees. It's insulting, and it wastes their time.

If you are thinking of working here: Look elsewhere!

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a couple of good things about working for this company. When you are sick or if you need to leave for an emergency they are usually accommodating, you might not get paid for the time you are gone though. There are also some great people working here.

Cons

The cons are too many to list, but here are a few. If you are reading this then you are either a current employee, a member of G&H "leadership" or considering working here. If you are the latter do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. This is not higher education. It is a telemarketing, enrollment sales job. You will be saddling un-qualified. lower income students with student debt at sub-par schools. Prepare to have every second of your day micro-managed by "leaders with a high school education. There are bachelor's degrees and higher among some of the upper management members, but don't expect to see them in the office. One upper level manager claims to be an expert on education and only has a bachelor's from a low tier, for profit, online school although it is laughably, "with honors".
    Benefits are terrible and on a par with insuring yourself privately and salaries are minimal. You will be held accountable for enrollment goals and you will be disciplined and let go if you do not meet enrollment goals. This, by the way, is a practice that operates outside of legal parameters.

Start practicing leadership instead of micro-management, it clearly doesn't work as illustrated by low employee morale, high turnover and falling profitability. Practice honesty and transparency. Stop posting artificial and clearly contrived reviews on these types of sites, it's pretty obvious.

I've witnessed the company's most trying times and it's significant progress in the last 6 months.

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly, team-oriented coworkers. Supervisors typically are fair and want the best for their teams. Pay and benefits are decent. Good job security - employees are trained and given many opportunities to improve or find their right place within the company. I have the peace of mind knowing that Mgmt will (and has) find me a suitable position if there is a change in client accounts/restructuring. GH promotes mostly from within, which creates opportunities for growth/salary increase for employees. Company morale and culture have improved IMMENSELY in the last 4-6 months. Mgmt appears to be making an effort to listen to the needs of employees and promote a more positive environment. Good place to start with little/no college on your resume.

Cons

No commission due to laws regulating comission-based recruiting. (This may be a plus for those who prefer a fair and consistent wage and less pressure to meet quotas.) Company hasn't always been transparent with employees, but that has significantly improved. Call center repetitive job tasks, with most positions involving heavy call volume, which can be mentally and physically exhausting. The type of service I provide leaves me without a genuine sense of purpose or any real accomplishment I am proud of, even when I'm meeting my goals. Unless you have a passion for call centers, or are comfortable settlingp, this is a place to hold a job, not a career.

Continue to improve transparency. Less micro-management, constant status update reporting, coaching reports, and excessive meetings about further micro-management. Supervisors and employees alike are micro-managed to the point that other more important tasks are delayed and the entire team suffers. It is important to continue to monitor and improve performance, but the frequency of such monitoring and coaching should be decreased to allow ample time to actually serve our clients. Implement employee development strategies to help us grow and encourage us to stay. More incentives/bonuses would be great motivators.

customer service rep

Current Employee - Customer Service Representativetomer Service Representative in Santa Anita, CA

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time

Pros

Company is energetic. very friendly environment. Continue to thrive despite odds.

Cons

high turn-over and lots of changes. very clicky

Great Place To Work At

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Greenwood Hall full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people that I worked with were great, we all had a great time, we had many fun events and I learned a lot while I was there and I mean a lot. When I left the senior management made some changes for the better, so employees now need to relax and do they're job or go home. The company doesn't need negative people and bring everyone down. If I could go back I would in a heartbeat.

Cons

Some things were confusing, but you got through it

Keep up the great work and keep bringing in more business

Enrollment Counselor

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my job there. They had some growing pains but they fixed things and made sure we made it through. I had to move out of state to be with family or I would still work there.

Cons

The company struggled a bit but made changes and there were some workers that did not like the changes which made it hard for most of us who really liked the company and what we were doing.

Bring on more clients and invest in the workers that support the company.

Love Working At G&H!

Current Employee - Director in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers; management team is motivating; like our customers; and I was promoted! More customers are coming in and I like where G&H is going.

Cons

It was kinda if a roller coaster ride as the company was restructuring. Pay could be a little better too. I wish more employees who have positive things to say would speak up here and in other places.

Make sure everyone knows what is happening and focus on the future.

Avoid this crooked place!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Greenwood Hall

Pros

Free water and air conditioning on some days.

Cons

Bounced checks, liars, horrible managers, despicable management and owners.

Stop doing positive reviews for your OWN COMPANY!!! It's obvious you can't see beyond your greedy and shady business dealings! A company is only as strong as it's leaders!

Greenwood Hall Photos