Greenwood Hall Reviews

2.2
John R. Hall

1. It was an average experience

I have been working at Greenwood Hall

Pros

Good pay even starting off

Cons

None a great place to work

Horrible Employer, Bullying Supervisors, dreadful Management

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor

I worked at Greenwood Hall full-time

Pros

Air conditioning
    Free lunch ( after a major shoe drops)

Cons

Bounced checks
    Passive aggressive management
    Lies... Lies... Lies...
    Poor training
    Sink or swim mentality
    No benefits
    No time off

Advice to Management

Treat employees well
    Invest in good management
    Your corporate greed will eventually end your company
    If you pour syrup on crap... It's still crap!

3. Love Working at Greenwood Hall

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I really don't understand some of the negative reviews. I know there was some issues a while back with payroll but those have been dealt with. I know there was some change in ownership. I have been working here for over six months now and I can say it's one of the best jobs I have had. My Boss is great. If I need time off for something it's given with pay as there is PTO. They feed us lunch(like In-N Out, I have gained ten pounds since I have been here) every other Thursday before pay day. You also get your Birthday off paid. I mean what more could you ask for.
    They even have a committee dedicated to make things more fun in the office with activities.
    As far as my work goes I love that too. It's just doing Customer Service for a University. I even had some issues with my hand from typing and the mouse . I explained this to HR and was put at ease and they ordered me a new mouse and keyboard that would help with the situation. I am very happy here and plan to stay.

Cons

I do wish they had direct deposit but I know it's something that is being worked on.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the great work.

Horrible Employer! Doesn't care about employees

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Your birthday is considered a paid holiday now. They now offer a refer-a-friend bonus but you only get the bonus if and when they make it out of their probationary period. They also changed the probationary period from 90-60 days.

Cons

management is horrible to say the least. complaints are NOT kept confidential so there's a lot of drama caused by that. my team lead has physically put her hands on an agent but she still has her job. the point system is the dumbest thing ever, especially since most of the employees are women with children, mostly single moms. you get penalized for being sick or if life happens, which I find extremely unfair. the ceo doesn't listen to any complaints that are made about how things are done. favoristism is a constant, never-ending issue that will never be resolved. at the texas location, they fired a guy based off of rumors that he used drugs, they never drug tested him. pay is mediocre and there is no room for advancement. you actually have to beg for your yearly raise. do yourself a favor and stay away.

Advice to Management

stop lying to employees and get rid of the point system. you're only going to hurt your reputation and end up with a higher turnover rate. also, increase the amount of PTO earned. if you've been there for less than 3 years you only get 10 days worth of PTO but, on average you only earn 2 hours of PTO per 80 hours worked. that's not a fair trade-off. and with the economy still coming out of a recession, a pay raise wouldn't hurt either. being paid $10/h and having around $200 taken out per check for insurance and taxes makes living hard.

A dead-end short-term job with low pay, no raises, and limited opportunity for growth

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Greenwood Hall full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I learned at lot and Greenwood and Hall, and I and wish the best for this company, but they will continue to have a high turn over year after year if they don't start making some drastic changes.

Cons

I originally started working for this company as a seasonal employee and was told I would only be working for a few months due to seasonal variances in load. After a brief time I was instead offered a full time position to replace other employees that were often leaving due to, as I would later find out, was extremely high turnover due to constant issues with payments and disagreements with management. Over time the company seemed to have more and more issues financially, my paychecks as well as others bouncing on numerous occasions. It often took over a week to resolve, and no one bothered to step forward and explain what was happening for over a week, resulting in large amounts of employees leaving, and filing complaints with the labor board. Finally one of the owners came in to apologize face-to-face and told us a story about why our checks were bouncing and that they were taking care of the situation and we would all be paid and they made arrangements to ensure it would "never happen again". This happened right at Christmas time too, resulting in several employees missing out on long planned visits to their family for the holidays due to insufficient funds.

A month later, despite promises to the contrary, it happened again. We were still issued paychecks but then asked not to cash them until the following Monday. Supplies were being limited in the office, people had to bring in their own plates, plastic ware, napkins, towels, and even water. A few times, they couldn't even afford to stock toilet paper. At this time, overall morale began to decline steadily. Management level employees were quitting with no notice and the second owner in the CA office disappeared with no explanation.

Then all of a sudden a management team from Arizona was hired to try to change the office around, which turned out to be a complete waste of time as they would come and go as they please and they hardly ever spent any time in the office, nor did anything quantifiable.

Among other unsatisfactory things about the company, most of the "management" staff, and team leads, were highly uneducated, condescending, and unprofessional. My team manager, who was with the company half of the time I was, knew far less about the account than anyone else working on the team, was rarely able to answer questions, and would spend 2-3 hours of her 8 hour shift, standing outside with a cigarette in her hand. She constantly complained about the dress code in the office, and after telling our team we "HAD" to wear formal attire the following day because a "client" was going to be in the office, she would come in wearing a tank top, jeans and flip-flops. After leaving, I found her profile on Facebook, and almost every picture on it was highly inappropriate, often featuring her scantly-clad rear-end in some sort of drunken "spring break" extravaganza in which she had taken part.

We were expected to stay in a "chat room" style instant-message board, so that we could ask questions of the various team leads for the accounts. Unfortunately, only rarely did anyone ever answer a question, and new employees were left completely in the dark, with no one to help them learn how to handle regularly occurring situations. Coupled with almost non-existent training, I cant imagine we had a very good reputation amongst the inbound callers.

I worked here for multiple years, and not once was given a formal review, or a cost of living increase, or any pay raise. The company offered a really awful 50% employer contributed health and dental plan, that cost twice as much as my privatized insurance, and offered less than half of the benefits. It was cheaper AND more beneficial for me to stay with my own insurance. The only insurance they offered that was worth paying for was for vision, and if you signed up for ONLY vision, you were treated like you were some kind of terrible person. The base pay was very low, and with so few ways to advance, there really is no long term future for anyone that works here.

Advice to Management

Start listening to the feedback you get from employees, read the reviews on this site. Make some serious changes, or you will not last.

Paychecks bounced. Thrown to the wolves on a daily basis.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bryan, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bryan, TX

I worked at Greenwood Hall full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Was able to work from home, made several good friends.

Cons

From the start, training was mediocre. It was nothing more than a team leader speedily reading a packet to a room full of new hires. Everything I learned came from an experienced and very thorough woman, who had been with the company for quite some time - not my team lead. New accounts would roll in, you'd get an email or something saying how to answer the phone, and that was it. You'd be answering calls for something you knew nothing about, yet claiming to be an expert about it. Emails would be sent out with information as they obtained it, but lots of times there was no more information. Or it was a month before you heard anything else about it. I mentioned working from home, but I was only able to do this because I had my own laptop, paid for my own internet, and already owned my own headset. They did not set me up with any hardware or come out of pocket for anything for me to do that. It just made it more convenient for me because I could watch tv in between calls. In the office you aren't even allowed to read a book, which I thought was ridiculous. Especially if it was a slow day on Inbound. Pay was not great, but not terrible either, considering the position overall. The insurance is AWFUL. Expensive, and you still end up paying out of pocket for everything. I regularly paid $30-50 for prescriptions that are typically free. Checks were always an issue. They were consistently late. Management liked to blame this on the FedEx delivery guys. I never had a paycheck bounce until my 2nd year of employment, and then checks were bouncing every other month. Then every other pay period. Then every single pay period. They would reissue checks for the checks that bounced, but then your bank wouldn't accept them. Pretty soon, even the seediest gas stations around town wouldn't cash them. Since the checks were from out of state (Coming from California to the Texas branch) they were already held by the bank before depositing. And the fees are higher if you tried to cash them outright. G&H discussed opening a local account in the area to help with this, but they never bothered to actually do it. After bouncing checks became more frequent, and employees started quitting, management held a conference call with California to discuss the future of the company and address our concerns. It was nothing more than an hour long excuse talking about hedge funds, and that they basically don't have enough money on hand to pay their employees ever. And because the accounts we service don't pay on time, that payroll is met by borrowing money. According to them, something happened with the lender, and they are working to find a new lender asap. Meanwhile their replacement checks had month long holds on them with banks and/or were straight up rejected. My local bank even went so far as to offer me a job at their branch because they felt sorry for me. It was humiliating. They eventually made good on all my hours worked, and even vacation time (which I had no idea existed). But once checks started bouncing like that, I got out of there as fast as I could. It literally felt like I was on a sinking ship. I saved all of their bogus payroll excuse emails because if I didn't get my money, I was going to notify the district attorney. They kept acting like the bounced checks were surprising, but they were definitely writing checks they KNEW wouldn't cash. Just to shut people up and buy themselves time.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your employees. It's insulting, and it wastes their time.

8. If you are thinking of working here: Look elsewhere!

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are a couple of good things about working for this company. When you are sick or if you need to leave for an emergency they are usually accommodating, you might not get paid for the time you are gone though. There are also some great people working here.

Cons

The cons are too many to list, but here are a few. If you are reading this then you are either a current employee, a member of G&H "leadership" or considering working here. If you are the latter do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. This is not higher education. It is a telemarketing, enrollment sales job. You will be saddling un-qualified. lower income students with student debt at sub-par schools. Prepare to have every second of your day micro-managed by "leaders with a high school education. There are bachelor's degrees and higher among some of the upper management members, but don't expect to see them in the office. One upper level manager claims to be an expert on education and only has a bachelor's from a low tier, for profit, online school although it is laughably, "with honors".
    Benefits are terrible and on a par with insuring yourself privately and salaries are minimal. You will be held accountable for enrollment goals and you will be disciplined and let go if you do not meet enrollment goals. This, by the way, is a practice that operates outside of legal parameters.

Advice to Management

Start practicing leadership instead of micro-management, it clearly doesn't work as illustrated by low employee morale, high turnover and falling profitability. Practice honesty and transparency. Stop posting artificial and clearly contrived reviews on these types of sites, it's pretty obvious.

9. Cheezy

I worked at Greenwood Hall

Pros

The regular employees/co-workers on my team were cool and helpful. There was also free lunch twice a month. Some nice, cute girls, too.

Cons

This place is cheesy. I worked for the financial aid call center of a university. People are hired for this department on a one month-contract during summer, and then fired. On the last week of their employment, they are forced to train the next set of employees hired on a one-month contract, and so on and so forth. This cheesy practice about firing people after a month is to avoid having to pay benefits and unemployment. The problem is that since most people haven't been there for more than a month, they don't know what they're doing. And when they train the new employees who are supposed to replace them, it perpetuates more of this silly nonsense about not knowing what they're doing. This translates into severe problems with giving advice to college students about their school financial aid applications, which means the students also don't know what they're doing. This problem is coupled with the fact that employees are supposed to end their calls quickly after a certain amount of time, so there's no time to fully explain to the students all the info they need to file a complete and successful application to receive financial aid when school begins. All we have time to do since we are placed on a limit is informing the students the next process or verification document they need to submit, and then quickly end the call. The students usually call back about three weeks later expecting their applications to be completed, only to find out there's more steps involved. For many, it will be another few weeks before their financial aid applications are complete, and more weeks before their funds are dispersed. Anyways, while working here in school financial aid, you need to look for other jobs because you'll be fired after a month. Try getting the 6:30am - 3:00pm schedule so that you can avoid traffic, and most importantly, to have time setting up appointments for job interviews before 5pm. That's really important, looking for another job. Only work here to make some quick, dirty cash while you're on the job hunt in this messed-up economy. Since this place offers no loyalty to new employees like us, there's no reason we need to reciprocate. Good luck, everybody.

Advice to Management

Stop this month-to-month temporary employment monkey-business. It's bad business for your employees and your contracts

10. Enjoyable place to work.

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time

Pros

The employees themselves are great, there are flexible schedules, and management is willing to work with you to help better yourself and raise the quality of your work. I was promoted at the beginning of this year and am very happy with my role, my team, and my managers. The environment is nice and there is chance to win PTO and other prizes bi-weekly.

Cons

The insurance is not cheap but any other problems that the company has had in the past have already been addressed by the new management.

Advice to Management

Continue with transparency and honesty. It has gone a long way.

11. I've witnessed the company's most trying times and it's significant progress in the last 6 months.

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Greenwood Hall full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly, team-oriented coworkers. Supervisors typically are fair and want the best for their teams. Pay and benefits are decent. Good job security - employees are trained and given many opportunities to improve or find their right place within the company. I have the peace of mind knowing that Mgmt will (and has) find me a suitable position if there is a change in client accounts/restructuring. GH promotes mostly from within, which creates opportunities for growth/salary increase for employees. Company morale and culture have improved IMMENSELY in the last 4-6 months. Mgmt appears to be making an effort to listen to the needs of employees and promote a more positive environment. Good place to start with little/no college on your resume.

Cons

No commission due to laws regulating comission-based recruiting. (This may be a plus for those who prefer a fair and consistent wage and less pressure to meet quotas.) Company hasn't always been transparent with employees, but that has significantly improved. Call center repetitive job tasks, with most positions involving heavy call volume, which can be mentally and physically exhausting. The type of service I provide leaves me without a genuine sense of purpose or any real accomplishment I am proud of, even when I'm meeting my goals. Unless you have a passion for call centers, or are comfortable settlingp, this is a place to hold a job, not a career.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve transparency. Less micro-management, constant status update reporting, coaching reports, and excessive meetings about further micro-management. Supervisors and employees alike are micro-managed to the point that other more important tasks are delayed and the entire team suffers. It is important to continue to monitor and improve performance, but the frequency of such monitoring and coaching should be decreased to allow ample time to actually serve our clients. Implement employee development strategies to help us grow and encourage us to stay. More incentives/bonuses would be great motivators.

Greenwood Hall Photos