Gregg Distributors

Updated December 13, 2014
1.9

Gary Gregg

I have been working at Gregg Distributors

Pros

Basic starting wage before taxes is pretty good. If you show up for work a half hour early and stay late, they may give you a small raise or take that into consideration for bonus.

Cons

Minimal training. Unsafe work: heavy stuff stacked on heavy stuff stacked on heavy stuff just waiting to topple over!
    Things to trip over constantly.
    They get forewarned when inspectors are coming, so they tidy up until the inspection has happened.
    Different rules for different people and management doesn't follow their own rules.
    Constantly being monitored. Don't talk to each other, but part of the requirements for bonus is to show up at company functions.
    "This isn't rocket science people" I'd what you hear when the magnitude of paperwork isn't done quite up to spec. They need to get into this century and start making less complicated paperwork!
    Their favorite comment is "to put skin in the game". They want you to put in extra time, but you're salary, do you're not really getting paid, but it may help your bonus if you're eligible for it according to all of their specifications.
    If you brown nose to management or tattle on co-workers, you move up very quickly.

Treat everyone with respect, not just those that suck up.
    Stop preferential treatment, it just makes everyone else hate coming in and working so hard while the chosen ones are allowed to slack and chit chat.

Horrible place unless you are uneducated or a brown noser and a robot

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Gregg Distributors

Pros

Good wage and investment program over 25% return

Cons

Treated like a child or prisoner. Not allowed to think for oneself or make decisions without sales management. Being an outside sales person the company does not allow you to hand out your phone number. All calls must go thru the office. You do not get an email. Every email goes to a general box and is processed by the main office and passed on to you in a paper form. To respond you have to print a response and hand in for processing. They tell you this is done in case you are away and do not get the message??? Talk about bsckwards thinking. I don't think the owner has a grasp on technology and the ways of the world in 2014. Mostly thou this is another form of control.
    In sales meeting you are made to share your"wins"or sales but you are not allowed to speak of them as "i got this sale" . You are made to say "we got this sale" in order to conform to this cult. They actually correct you in front of everyone if you say "I" . Men 50 years old are treated like children.
    Personal time like phone calls , lates or sick days are deducted from holidays and are documented by rhe minute. If you get a phone call and its 1 min you must add 5 min and hand in your sheet.
    You are encouraged and rewarded to rat out others for any straying from the cult . You actually move up this way.
    They don't take into account that you leave at 5 am to get to your 8am call in lloydminster, but they sure look down if you are seconds late or too long in the bathroom.
    My manager would ride with me and sleep in my car but did not fill out his personal time form. If this was not personal time i don't know what is.
    Many many things very wrong here. It's like a time warp to communist China.

Management here is not real managers, the sales management guys answer phones all day on the order desk. Only boss really is Gary Gregg

Demoralizing

Former Employee - Management Team in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Management Team in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Gregg Distributors full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay was above average, as we're the benefits. Kind of like the Golden chain... You push on through adversity and unhappiness because you believe you can't find better.
    I guess it's not really a pro, but amidst the brainwashing early on it feels like a pro.

Cons

There are too many to list...
    I was part of the management team for nearly 5 years.
    Anytime I found myself in hot water, I was given an opportunity to rat out or spy on any employees on their naughty list for temporary immunity.
    Was asked about ppls lives and habits outside if work
    Asked how they behaved at bars and weekends.
    Was blamed for salesman's marriages falling apart because I lead a single lifestyle and married salesman wanted to emulate my life, therefore was asked to settle down and marry... Basically threatened.
    Got in trouble for cutting my hair, because the younger employees had looked up to me before that, therefore I could communicate with them more effectively and get inside their personal lives.
    Was told to come an hour early everyday and be the last one out of the building daily for an extra 3-500 every 3 months. Which decreased dramatically when I stopped tattling on other employees.
    I was followed and reported on by senior employees when I went to the bars and pubs.
    If anything happened, Gary Gregg knew about it by Sunday and I was spoken to 8 am Monday morning.
    All the points about personal and vacation time by others are bang on, docked an extra five minutes for any call.... Even if you say hi/bye. That's a 6 minute dock.

There's a a thousand more things I could say... An incredible experience. Truly an experience of living behind the iron curtain.
    The only ppl that stay and thrive are drones with no lives, no dignity... And no education or self respect.

Fix everything that everyone on here has said.

It's like working in jail

I worked at Gregg Distributors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cheap food at lunch if you can get any and wolf it down during your break

Cons

They treat you like a child at this company, watching the clock to make sure you come in on time, watching you if you leave your desk (maybe it's better to wear a diaper than dare to go to the washroom), and it's all about favouritism here. If you are willing to work extra with no pay, you will get some perks but it basically pays for all the extra work you put in. No training process and bullies work here. They don't have properly training HR people here, or else they would not be getting away with all the labour laws they are breaking.

Treat people as humans with respect and start looking at why there's a revolving door at your company. Those who leave aren't willing to be brainwashed and pretty soon no one will want to work here with the way you treat people.

Disappointing to say the least

Former Employee - Maintenance in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Gregg Distributors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There really isn't any perks and if there is there is all way's strings attached

Cons

Some of the challenge's is you have to work late passed your time that you are getting payed. They want you to work through your breaks and they want you to work unsafe because they don't want to line up to safety standards

Listen to both sides of a story not just managements. Lead by example others will want to follow.

My experience at Gregg Distributors started out great, but as time went on lost respect for management

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Langley, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Langley, BC (Canada)

I worked at Gregg Distributors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay was good. Great co-workers when you were allowed to talk.

Cons

Moral was not so great. Everyone is made to feel like a two year old. You are asked to take initiative, work as a team player but don't talk to the other players. Then after taking initiative are told no that is not how things are done here. Quote: "If you don't like the restaurant - then don't eat here".

You should give your employees more credit for doing their jobs as great as they do. Don't focus on the negativity so much, spread more positive around the workplace.

run as far away from this company as possible!

I have been working at Gregg Distributors (more than an year)

Pros

cant really think of any

Cons

management lack morals and integrity. the product that we sell is highly overpriced for the poor quality. we cant even fix the stuff we sell that breaks! further to that what you pay for say a nice leatherman you can buy across the street for 1/2 the price.

You cant pull the wool over everyone's eyes forever.

Good pay but poor management.

I worked at Gregg Distributors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. The environment and workload was reasonable for the salary. There was a system for everything which allows all systems to go smooth.

Cons

Top heavy with a lot of managers and supervisors. There was rampant micro management which sometimes got in the way of getting things done.

Trust the employees to get the job done.

Unpleasant company to work for

I worked at Gregg Distributors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary and benefits are good

Cons

I highly recommend NOT working for this company. Here's a few things reasons why:

-management is very disrespectful
    -Overly structured and strict. No freedom to feel welcomed or a valued employee.
    -Your on a schedule whatever you do. You want a bathroom break, your monitored, your 1 minute late from a break you get the wrath of your manager.
    -You use 3 of your "personal" days up for the year, you have to use vacation. Example-Funeral, family member sick etc.

Learn to relax more. Treat your employee's with respect and APPRECIATE staff. We should like our work environment and feel comfortable and confident coming to work. It shouldn't feel like "jail"

Horrible

I worked at Gregg Distributors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is higher than most for the same work. But considering how you will be treated....

Cons

-Constantly monitored by management. I mean CONSTANTLY. At Edmonton main they have people who actually time employees trips to the bathroom.
    -You will be disrespected and humiliated by management often.
    -Lost Time Incident forms. Basically you get 15 days vacation (because you are paid salary they are required to give this to you). On top you get 3 "extra" days. Sounds great right? WRONG. Because these three days disappear very quickly. If you have to take a phone call during Gary's time you have to fill out a form that deducts the time from your vacation. Sounds fair? Well what if your wife was in an accident? Doesn't matter. Oh yeah, and they deduct an extra 5 minutes on top of whatever you used for the inconvenience. If you have to go to the dentist, that's your vacation. Funeral...yep, vacation. Also, employees are scared to talk to one another because this will also eat up your vacation time.
    -Those "bonuses" aren't really bonuses. Because you have to work extra time every day to get them, and it never adds up to your time lost. And they are decided by the big man himself, so good luck with that if your not in the inner circle.
    Overall just a terrible place to work. If you have no problem working like a robot, not being allowed to talk to fellow employees even just to see how their weekend was, and being taken advantage of, or your in the "inner circle" then probably not bad. But for those of us with dignity, BEWARE!

Wake up and realize that you have to treat people like they have rights. This is Canada, and nobody should have to be treated like I was. Just because you can say "hey if your not happy, leave" should you? Is that what your company motto is? Pathetic and childish.