Greggs

Add Photos

Greggs CEO Ken McMeikan

Ken McMeikan

Great company!!

Sales Assistant (Current Employee)
Durham, CO

I have been working at Greggs part-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent pay and working conditions.Good benefits, company pension,sick pay, VERY generous staff discount scheme.Most importantly a very generous profit share bonus yearly. Good opportunities for career progression, with support and development available to those that want it. Great team within shop and company.

ConsMore rigerous interviews for new staff members, training should be taken more seriously with more time available for staff members.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff, take on their ideas more. Shop floor staff have valuable product and sales knowledge from the front line come talk with them about product development, ask them what customers are asking for. We may be the lowest rung on the ladder but we are the face of the company.

Okay, simple work once trained up

Weekend Team Member (Current Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Greggs part-time for more than 3 years

ProsMainly the people you work with, occasionally the conversations with customers can be good. The profit share scheme and social club organisation are a good idea. The job chances to go higher in the company are always advertised.

ConsAsking for days off then being cut back to contracted hours due to this. one minute having a lot of shifts next one shift a week. Working with the public can be stressful due to customer satifaction/compliants being over petty things

Fun but hard work

Dartford, England (UK)

I worked at Greggs part-time for less than a year

ProsGood Pay, which increased over the time I was there
Friendly staff, particularly managers
50% Discount
Often busy so time passes quickly

ConsCustomers can sometimes be rude
Working on your feet for long hours
having to arrive ten minutes early to change into uniform

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be a way to ensure that the staff who work hard and put in the extra effort are rewarded over those that just turn up and do the minimal amount of work required, or those that get 'in' with the managers of the store and are favoured in terms of work hours, and holiday times etc..

a fun place to work its like working in one big family

Team Member (Current Employee)
Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Greggs part-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood rates of pay good pension plan like early starts as have rest of day to myself get to lean new things all the time also good traing programm

Constrying to meet targets when custmores are not intrested in offers avabile

Advice to Senior Managementmanagers are easy to talk to are there when you need help and will to help you move up the ladder

Great for starting out

Sales Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Greggs part-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you're getting your first job, it's a great place to start - you learn a lot very quickly and it's a good place to develop your confidence. Good pay if you're working while you're young.

ConsTeam members mostly work very short shifts (3-5 hours) which can be really inconvenient for some people. Extra hours are sometimes hard to come by.

great place to work

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Greggs full-time for more than 5 years

Proslove the people I work with and the customers that's what makes it great . good yearly profit share

Consbusy busy busy most of the time there aren't enough hours in the day . mostly accommodating peoples needs but cant always be done

Advice to Senior Managementpeople who sit in do not get the promotions advertised this is wrong they should

Weekend Team Member

Weekend Team Member (Former Employee)
Spalding, England (UK)

I worked at Greggs part-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay, free food, good hours, lovely people to work with/friendly environment, free uniform, holiday pay, 50% discount across store

ConsHardly get a break (2 X 15min), Very rude customers who talk down to you/shout at you for no reason are common, easy to burn yourself, very busy environment and I was often left on my own in the shop.

Mediocre food, mediocre job.

London, England (UK)

I worked at Greggs part-time for less than a year

Pros50% discounts on food, nice atmosphere when customers are in a good and other staff are in a good mood - although this is all mood dependent. However, I would say there are more negatives than positives to this job.

ConsJunior staff are not allowed to handle money and thus need a password to access tills- adds extra time when dealing with busy periods and extra stress for both junior and senior staff. I was also left working on my own on several occasions whilst my manager chatted to his friends outside of the shop, which was annoying to say the least. My main manager was always very angry and even swore at employees, due to the busy nature of the shop in central London they were constantly on our backs and we were even shouted at for talking to other employees. Employees can't even take home the leftover food after shifts or give it to the homeless, which means every night the food is thrown into a bin - an absolute waste. During the time there, my manager quit because he hated it, and hardly any of the staff showed up on time because they hated it to; in the end I handed in my notice and never went back.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your staff better.

patronizing and sexist

Senior Team Member (Former Employee)
Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Greggs full-time for more than a year

ProsDiscounted food and discount retailers

ConsArea managers, lack for personal life and the lying to get their own way

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't become management

I had some great times working there and some very bad times

Linlithgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Greggs part-time for more than a year

Prosyou meet some wonderful members of the public plus who doesnt enjoy 50% off greggs!?

ConsThere is not enough praise and too much focus on what you are doing wrong.Management think they can speak down to you on a regular basis and get away with it which is just not on in my opinion.Coffee machines are an absolute nightmare to clean and just take too much time in your shift to mantain.If someone doesn't come in and you are on till close you have more work to do as there is no way of covering their shift and you are left to pick up the pieces(that's another word for sandwiches in scotland no pun intended haha)...so to speak.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsidering i have an extensive background in retail,sales and hospitality i found that moving up the ranks to be a slow and painful one and that learning the "greggs way" was the only way which to me is is like my way or the highway.

Worked for Greggs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Greggs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Greggs CEO Ken McMeikan. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Greggs employees.