Greggs Reviews

Updated August 23, 2014
Updated August 23, 2014

Greggs CEO Ken McMeikan
Ken McMeikan

Great for career development, family atmosphere in stores

Current Employee - general manager- troubleshooting stores  in  National City, CA
    Current Employee - general manager- troubleshooting stores in National City, CA

I have been working at Greggs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

worked through ranks from weekend assist to GM, good but overly complicated training program's, fun place to work.

Cons

Micro managed by area managers, no innovation or freedom. Harder than it looks!

Allow store managers freedom to deal with issues, and have authority to make on the ground decisions

Great company!!

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Durham, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Durham, CO

I have been working at Greggs part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent pay and working conditions.Good benefits, company pension,sick pay, VERY generous staff discount scheme.Most importantly a very generous profit share bonus yearly. Good opportunities for career progression, with support and development available to those that want it. Great team within shop and company.

Cons

More rigerous interviews for new staff members, training should be taken more seriously with more time available for staff members.

Listen to your staff, take on their ideas more. Shop floor staff have valuable product and sales knowledge from the front line come talk with them about product development, ask them what customers are asking for. We may be the lowest rung on the ladder but we are the face of the company.

Good for a first job for a young person

Current Employee - Team Member  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Member in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Greggs part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The great team that I work with who we all get along quite well.
    We get 50% off products that the companies makes itself like the sandwiches and the savories.
    There is scope for advancing up within the company if you are interested.
    Good pay for a retail job compared to some of it's competitors.

Cons

The company are trying to cut costs to the point they leave the shop understaffed which leads to a stressful environment and lower productivity.
    It is very top down and rigid company to working for in terms of employee's working shifts that are always changing.
    Very much impossible to work increased hours due to the low staffing hours available.
    The company makes it seem that their training is very thorough but it is actually very weak, bring in new systems you get trained on it for half an hour and unless you do it regularly you will forget as no refreshing training is given until you are in the moment.
    Regular thefts from my shop and provocations and even though you report it to management nothing is done about it.

The management, for Greggs it would be the Area Managers need to be much more pro-active with the company. When they see that a shop sales suddenly start to decline they don't try to identify the problem and implement a solution. They will only cut the shops hours and say they won't increase until sales go up again without doing anything to identify the issue that led to the decline.

The management need to be more appreciative of their staff and not constantly focusing on your weakness and your mistakes.

The company operating model is seriously inefficient in every way, still performing stock counts manually using pen and paper and counting products manually, when we could be driving sales instead. Also could improve the delivery of the products to the stores to match how the stores package and display goods to reduce packaging time in store. If they can't do this for each store they need to look at standardizing and creating consistency with their stores.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You need to be more supportive of staff at all levels

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Member in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Greggs part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours
     Staff discount
    Busy active environment
    Team member interation

Cons

Lack of support
    Shop managers seem to interpret company policy
    Lack of continuity and appropriate leadership
    I would arrive for work to be told I'm not required without any notice
    Changes to contractual working hours and conditions are not always given in writing

Senior managers need to monitor what is happening locally
    seek opinions of morale at ground level
    Staff surveys

Bad Company

Former Employee - Senior Team Member
    Former Employee - Senior Team Member

I worked at Greggs full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Staff discount, some nice people to work with.

Cons

Poor pay, poor managements, have no safeguards against discrimination. Holidays poor (4 weeks, 1.6 weeks bought out), corrupt union, boring work, don't properly protect staff from customers. See to be focused on making a quick buck rather than being a cornerstone of the highstreet.

Focus on your staff more, you lack any empathy for your basic staff. Remember, your basic staff know people, they talk, it does your reputation no good when you treat them like you do.

Expected to work on your own running the shop eg: baking, putting sandwiches out, serving lots of customers, clean

Former Employee - Team Member  in  Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Member in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I worked at Greggs part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None, manager expects you to stop winging if you have a small problem never mind a customer complaint

Cons

Customers not satisfied as waiting in a queue due to company cutting staff members hours

In order to make this shop profitable we need at least 1 other staff member to serve customers and not leave them walking out

Busy, monotonous work, but the co-workers are amazing.

Current Employee - Sales Team Member  in  Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Team Member in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Greggs part-time for more than a year

Pros

The values are good. Discount card is useful. Managers care about staff and personal situation. Staff parties (arranged by staff themselves). Profit share

Cons

Customers stealing products. Being a senior sales (one step higher than a normal sales team member) brings a huge amount of responsibility and blame, for a very small amount extra money. Often rifts between senior sales and assistant manager/managers. Often things change in store e.g all pasties are moved about, without any communication to staff. Shops are outdated. Never a consistent shift pattern.

Bad company

Current Employee - Team Member  in  Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Member in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Greggs part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

pay is better than min wage

Cons

don't like promoting from within

learn respect for your current staff

Nice people but very boring work

Former Employee - Team Member
    Former Employee - Team Member

I worked at Greggs part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice friendly staff. Good pay for basic retail work

Cons

Very boring work, rarely switched roles, very short hours making any sort of commute not worth the time in working hours

Rotate people on job roles more especially newcomers

Good pay & rewarding

I worked at Greggs

Pros

Great atmosphere and good pay

Cons

Some managers can be a bit full on

Better shift patterns

Worked for Greggs? Contribute to the Community!